|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marie Micheline die?
(a) She dies in childbirth.
(b) She dies of cancer.
(c) She reportedly dies of a heart attack in the midst of a violent outbreak in her neighborhood.
(d) She is shot.
2. Why does Danticat sense that Bob eats so much during their first dinner with their parents in the United States?
(a) He has a glycemic disorder.
(b) He wants to please their parents.
(c) He never liked the food that Tante Denise had cooked.
(d) He is very hungry from the flight.
3. What is the name of Danticat's father's cab?
(a) A daisy cab.
(b) A checkered cab.
(c) A flowered cab.
(d) A gypsy cab.
4. What is the name of the officer who took down all of Joseph's information for U.S. Customs and Border Patrol?
(a) Officer Zero.
(b) Officer Reyes.
(c) Officer Sandrine.
(d) Officer Smith.
5. Where does an immigration agent tell Danticat that Joseph and Maxo were taken to in the fall of 2004 upon their arrival in the United States?
(a) Krome, a detention center.
(b) A state prison.
(c) They were sent back to Haiti immediately.
(d) Ellis Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many letters does Danticat write on her typewriter to Uncle Joseph?
2. What is the cause of the gunfire Joseph hears in Bel Air on October 24, 2004?
3. What does Mira say he would have liked to have done if he did not drive a taxi?
4. What does Uncle Joseph take medication for?
5. What is Danticat's husband's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Danticat's brother Karl react to her when she first arrives in New York?
2. What folktale about hell does Danticat recall Granme Melina telling?
3. How does Marie Micheline die?
4. Whose house does Joseph initially take refuge in when he is in hiding in Haiti in October 2004?
5. Why does Danticat suspect her brother Bob asks for seconds of dinner on their first night in New York back with their parents?
6. Why does Tante Zi tell Joseph he could not have escaped himself?
7. What does Danticat's brother Bob tell their other brothers Kelly and Karl on their first night in New York all together?
8. Why are some neighbors angry with Joseph in October 2004?
9. In the section titled "Gypsy," what is Danticat's new home in America like physically?
10. In the section "Brother, I Leave You With a Heavy Heart," why is Danticat's father concerned about Joseph?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)