|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease does Danticat's father Mira suffer from?
(a) Throat Cancer.
(c) Liver Disease.
(d) Pulmonary Fibrosis.
2. What kind of record does Joseph listen to in 1978 as he gets ready for the day?
(a) An old Berlitz recording of English phrases.
(b) A recording of birdsong.
(c) A recording of Nina Simone.
(d) A recording meant to teach Spanish to foreigners.
3. What is the result of Danticat's and Bob's physical?
(a) They are found to be infected with a dangerous parasite.
(b) Danticat has Influenza.
(c) They are in perfect health.
(d) They are found to be infected with Tuberculosis.
4. Where does Danticat go with her father before his doctor's appointment in the section titled "Have You Enjoyed Your Life?"?
(a) To a fortune-teller.
(b) To an acupuncturist.
(c) To an herbalist.
(d) To a video store.
5. What does Marie Micheline name her baby?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book does Danticat cherish as a child?
2. What is Marie Micheline's husband's name?
3. What does Marie Micheline tell Joseph when he comes to free her from her husband?
4. Which of Danticat's brothers live closest to their parents?
5. What does the doctor say when Danticat asks if her father would be a candidate for a lung transplant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the father of Marie Micheline's first baby and what is that person's reaction when confronted with the fact of the pregnancy?
2. Why does Joseph start to take the children in his house on simple errands with him following his laryngectomy?
3. What force does Uncle Joseph and Mira's father, Granpe Nozial, join in the early decades of the 1900s in Haiti?
4. What does Danticat's mother do for her in preparation for her leaving for the United States in the section titled "Heartstrings, Shoestrings"?
5. In the section titled "We're All Dying," what does Danticat's friend tell her when Danticat informs her about how ill her father is?
6. What does Danticat remember most fondly about Marie Micheline's kindness towards her as a young child?
7. How does Danticat react when she sees her pregnancy test is positive?
8. Why was Danticat's father concerned about her move in 2002?
9. What does Marie Micheline say to Uncle Joseph when he comes to rescue her from Pressoir?
10. What two opposite pieces of news does Danticat receive on the same day in early July 2004?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)