|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of stand does Tante Zi run in Haiti?
(a) A flower stand.
(b) An ice cream stand.
(c) A stationary stand.
(d) A jewelry stand.
2. Who asks Danticat's father, Mira, if he has enjoyed his life?
3. Who is Tante Denise's mother?
(a) Marie Micheline.
(b) Granme Liliana.
(c) Tante Zoe.
(d) Granme Melina.
4. What kind of car does Danticat's father pick her up from the airport in in the section titled "Have You Enjoyed Your Life?"?
(a) A Sonata.
(b) A Prius.
(c) A Lincoln Town Car.
(d) A Corvette.
5. What does Bob do when he sees his mother for the first time in many years?
(a) Immediately runs to her and kisses her.
(b) Yells at her for leaving him.
(c) Shyly asks if she remembers him.
(d) Turns away because he does not recognize her.
6. What does Danticat's father decide on his drive to the airport to pick her and Bob up on the first day they arrive into the country from Haiti?
(a) He would make sure they each had a bedroom of their own.
(b) He would move the family back to Haiti.
(c) He would never work for anyone else again.
(d) He would get a very well-paid job in finance.
7. Where do Joseph and Denise build their first house?
(a) The Southern countryside in Haiti.
(b) A neighborhood near Port-au-Prince harbor.
(c) The Northern countryside in Haiti.
(d) Bel Air.
8. Which politician does Joseph admire in the 1950s?
(a) Papa Doc Duvalier.
(b) Baby Doc Duvalier.
(c) Daniel Fignole.
(d) Jean-Bertrand Aristide.
9. Who is Joseph's son that has moved back and forth between the U.S. and Haiti?
10. Why are Tante Denise and Uncle Joseph so upset with the neighbors across the street in 1974?
(a) Their son, the father of Marie Micheline's baby, does not admit he is the father.
(b) They robbed them of some money.
(c) They made fun of Joseph's loss of voice.
(d) They skipped Melina's funeral.
11. What age is Danticat when she moves in with Uncle Joseph and Tante Denise?
12. What does Joseph do at Melina's funeral?
(a) He sings a song.
(b) He can not bear to be at the service so he waits outside.
(c) He writes a sermon for the priest to deliver.
(d) He mouths the word good-bye.
13. Who is Maxo's son?
14. Where was Jean-Bertrand Aristide spending his exile in 2004?
(a) South Africa.
(c) The United Kingdom.
15. What does Joseph name his church?
(a) The Savior of Bel Air.
(b) The Christian Church of Redemption.
(c) The National Church of Haiti.
(d) Our Holy Mother of Port-au-Prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Danticat's brother Bob tell her about their mother's feelings on how Danticat reveals her pregnancy to her parents?
2. What does Danticat's mother say when she mishears something?
3. When do Danticat's parents reappear in Haiti again after leaving her with Joseph and Denise?
4. What new barrier to their emigration do Danticat and Bob encounter during their six months of medical treatment in 1980?
5. Where do Danticat's parents and extended family live in the U.S.?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)