|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV (pages 170 - 224).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Danticat mistake the fire escape for?
(a) A link between their apartment and their neighbors.
(b) A terrace.
(c) The apartment's back steps.
(d) A set of stairs for the pet cat and dog.
2. Why does Danticat suspect Joseph was treated so badly by U.S. Customs and Immigration officials?
(a) He may have fallen victim to old and biased policies under which Haitians were detained and deported in larger numbers than other immigrant groups.
(b) He was flagged because of his religion.
(c) He was suffering from dementia.
(d) He may have been abrasive and disrespectful to the officials.
3. Where does Danticat go with her father before his doctor's appointment in the section titled "Have You Enjoyed Your Life?"?
(a) To an herbalist.
(b) To a video store.
(c) To a fortune-teller.
(d) To an acupuncturist.
4. Which politician does Joseph admire in the 1950s?
(a) Baby Doc Duvalier.
(b) Jean-Bertrand Aristide.
(c) Daniel Fignole.
(d) Papa Doc Duvalier.
5. What does Tante Denise do right before Danticat and Bob leave for the United States?
(a) Kisses them and runs into her room, unable to bear watching them leave.
(b) Packs food for them to take on the airplane.
(c) Blesses them with holy water.
(d) Gives them each letters for every day of the year they will be gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joseph tell U.S. immigration officials he is requesting asylum?
2. What was Marie Micheline studying in 1974?
3. Why does Aristide leave office less than a year after being sworn in in 1991?
4. Which book does Danticat cherish as a child?
5. What does Joseph wear on his way out of Bel Air in the fall of 2004 so he will not be recognized?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)