|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV (pages 170 - 224).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Joseph's son that has moved back and forth between the U.S. and Haiti?
2. What breaks when Joseph meets Denise for the first time?
(a) Denise's ankle.
(b) Denise's calabash.
(c) Joseph's bridle.
(d) Joseph's cart.
3. Why do some of Joseph's neighbors turn on him so violently after October 24, 2004?
(a) They think he is stealing from the church's coffers.
(b) They think he sold information to the police.
(c) They think he allowed the UN soldiers and riot police to shoot at neighborhood people from the roof of his church.
(d) They think he blackmailed a beloved teacher.
4. What was Danticat's first experience of intense jealousy?
(a) Seeing how Joseph seemed to prefer Marie Micheline to her.
(b) Seeing her mother and Bob asleep, cuddled together, when Bob was a baby.
(c) Seeing how her father doted on her brother Bob.
(d) Seeing how her mother preferred all of her brothers to her.
5. What is Tante Denise known for wearing throughout her life?
(a) Only black clothes.
(b) Fake eyelashes.
(c) Very high-heeled shoes.
(d) Elaborate wigs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some of the young men of the neighborhood demand of Joseph to make amends for what they think are his crimes?
2. Why does Danticat think Joseph asked for asylum rather than use the valid visa he had to travel to the United States?
3. How does Danticat refer to her grandfather?
4. Where do Joseph and Denise build their first house?
5. What does Bob do when he sees his mother for the first time in many years?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)