Part I (pages 1 - 57)
• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Danticat, Edwidge. Brother, I'm Dying. Alfred A. Knopf, 2007.
• This book is written in the first-person, past tense with Edwidge Danticat as the narrator.
• The first section is titled "Have You Enjoyed Your Life?"
• Danticat found out she was pregnant the same day in early July 2004 that her father was diagnosed with end-stage pulmonary fibrosis.
• Danticat's father picked her up at the airport in New York City. A few years earlier she had moved from Brooklyn, where her parents and two brothers lived, to Miami.
• At the airport, her father was too weak to get out of the car and had lost a lot of weight since she had last seen him.
• It was very hot and the heat made it harder for Danticat's father, whose name was Mira, to breathe.
This section contains 7,901 words
(approx. 27 pages at 300 words per page)