|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many brothers does Tony have?
2. What is the priest's name who hears Eilis's confession after she and Tony sleep together?
3. When does Eilis start to feel the fierce sharp cold and have to buy thick socks?
4. If Eilis passes her exams, how long will it probably be before she can have a job in the office at Bartocci's?
5. Where do Tony, Maurice, and Laurence buy a plot of land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What announcement does Father Flood make in Part III, Section 1?
2. What advice to Diana and Patty give Eilis before she goes to Coney Island with Tony?
3. How does Eilis feel as she watches her first baseball game?
4. How does Tony treat Eilis at the first baseball game they attend together?
5. What does Miss Bartocci announce to Eilis and Miss Delano in Part III, Section 1?
6. In Part III, Section 1, why does Eilis edit what she writes home in her letters?
7. Why does Eilis not have to pay for her tuition for Brooklyn College?
8. What do Tony, Maurice, and Laurence buy together, and what do they plan to do?
9. Why does Eilis not spend Christmas with Tony's family in Part III, Section 2?
10. According to Miss McAdam, why did Miss Keegan leave the boarding house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting is important to the storyline. In what way are the different settings important to the story? How do the different settings seem to affect characters? How does setting influence the atmosphere of the book? How does it influence the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Eilis keeps her relationship and marriage with Tony a secret. Why does no one in Ireland know that she has been seeing Tony? How does Eilis decision to keep the relationship a secret cause her problems and influence her thinking?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)