|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony bring from home to drink when he takes Eilis to Coney Island in Part III, Section 2?
2. How old are the first colored women who shop at Bartocci's in Part III?
3. Where is Miss Delano from?
4. What type of dancing does Patty want to sit out in Part III?
5. What time does Eilis leave for the first parish dance in Part III?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Father Flood come to Bartocci's to speak with Eilis in Part III, Section 2?
2. What do Tony, Maurice, and Laurence buy together, and what do they plan to do?
3. What does Eilis learn about Mr. Rosenblum in the special law bookstore?
4. How does Tony treat Eilis at the first baseball game they attend together?
5. What do Eilis and the others do during the break after two hours of the game?
6. What does Mrs. Kehoe say about dances held in the parish hall after the war?
7. What is Eilis's new room like in Part III, Section 1?
8. How is Eilis able to speak with her mother after Rose's death?
9. How does Eilis feel as she watches her first baseball game?
10. When Eilis moves to the room in the basement, why does she wish that she had stayed in her old bedroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Catholic Church plays an important part in the lives of characters in the novel. How does Father Flood represent the Catholic Church in the novel? How does the role he plays show the influence that the Catholic Church has on the lives of its parishioners? How is that revealed in the everyday lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The overall mood in the novel is positive. What words would you use to describe the mood in the novel? How does the mood affect the reader’s attitude toward characters?
Essay Topic 3
Tony and Eilis marry before she returns for a visit to Ireland. Why does Tony want them to marry before Eilis returns? Is Tony right in his thinking?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)