|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George buy Nancy and Eilis to drink when they are at a dance on the Sunday Eilis first works for Miss Kelly?
2. Who washes the clothes of the girls who live at Mrs. Kehoe's?
3. At Mrs. Kehoe's, what type of frames around picture in the sitting room?
4. How old does Eilis think that her roommate on board ship might be?
5. During Eilis's first Christmas serving at Father Flood's dinner, how many potatoes is everyone allowed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first things that Eilis does when she gets to Bartocci's in the morning?
2. How does Miss Bartocci tell Eilis customers are treated?
3. When did Rose go to a seven o'clock mass, and what was it like for her?
4. What happened to Mrs. Kehoe's husband?
5. What hours and days of the week is Eilis to work and does she get any benefits?
6. What does Miss Kelly say when Eilis tells her that she is going to America?
7. How does Eilis get a shop coat and what type does she buy?
8. What does Mrs. Kehoe like to talk about?
9. What classes does Father Flood help Eilis enroll in?
10. Why does Rose go to Dublin twice a year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are internal and external conflicts in the novel. Are there more internal or external conflicts? How do these conflicts advance the plot and influence characters?
Essay Topic 2
The Catholic Church plays an important part in the lives of characters in the novel. How does Father Flood represent the Catholic Church in the novel? How does the role he plays show the influence that the Catholic Church has on the lives of its parishioners? How is that revealed in the everyday lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Eilis keeps her relationship and marriage with Tony a secret. Why does no one in Ireland know that she has been seeing Tony? How does Eilis decision to keep the relationship a secret cause her problems and influence her thinking?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)