|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many nights a week does Father Flood think that Eilis should attend classes?
2. How long is Rose allowed to stay on the boat Eilis is taking to American before she has to leave?
3. How much does Miss Kelly pay Eilis when she has her work an extra day?
4. Where does Jack work?
5. The night after Eilis receives her first letters from home, what does she call her bedroom at Mrs. Kehoe's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Father Flood?
2. What job does Miss Kelly offer Eilis?
3. What hours and days of the week is Eilis to work and does she get any benefits?
4. What are the first things that Eilis does when she gets to Bartocci's in the morning?
5. What are the accommodations like at Mrs. Kehoe's boarding house?
6. How does Miss Bartocci tell Eilis customers are treated?
7. How does Eilis feel after receiving her first three letters from home?
8. What happened to Mrs. Kehoe's husband?
9. Why does Rose go to Dublin twice a year?
10. What is Eilis's room like on the ship that takes her to America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
Essay Topic 2
Tony and Eilis marry before she returns for a visit to Ireland. Why does Tony want them to marry before Eilis returns? Is Tony right in his thinking?
Essay Topic 3
Love is one of the themes in the novel. What types of love are represented in the story? How is familial love important to Eilis and to the plot? How does romantic love advance the plot and how does it affect Eilis’s life?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)