|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Rose go to Dublin for sales to buy clothes?
2. Before Eilis goes in Part I, how often has she been to seven o'clock mass?
3. What days will Eilis go to her classes at Brooklyn College?
4. What type of business does Jim Farrell's father own?
5. On what street is Mrs. Kehoe's boarding house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first things that Eilis does when she gets to Bartocci's in the morning?
2. What does Miss Kelly say about her helper Mary?
3. What is Eilis's room like on the ship that takes her to America?
4. What does Eilis's mother say about Miss Kelly?
5. What job does Miss Kelly offer Eilis?
6. What does Mrs. Kehoe like to talk about?
7. What is the "Famous Nylon Sale" at Bartocci's?
8. Who is Father Flood?
9. What happened to Mrs. Kehoe's husband?
10. What is Miss McAdam, one of Mrs. Kehoe's boarders like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting is important to the storyline. In what way are the different settings important to the story? How do the different settings seem to affect characters? How does setting influence the atmosphere of the book? How does it influence the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Eilis does not have a lot of input into the decision for her to go to America. Why not? Why does she decide to go even though it is not her idea originally?
Essay Topic 3
Eilis is concerned about her appearance when she lives in Brooklyn. Why does her appearance bother her? What does she think she needs assistance with to look like other girls? How does appearance change? How does that change affect her in Brooklyn and then when she returns to Ireland?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)