|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tyrone say got into the paper in his commentary after the poem "The Door"?
2. Who does Sheila write must love puzzles in "Private Puzzle"?
3. In the poem "The Door," the author writes that she's been busy carving a door of what?
4. Who does Porscha say tells her she has to learn to let people in in "Porscha Johnson"?
5. Where did Lupe go on her date over the weekend in "Lupe"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the character of Diondra view conditional and unconditional love?
2. Where does Lupe say she wants to go to college in "Lupe"? Why?
3. What commentary does Tyrone contribute after the reading of "Private Puzzle"?
4. What determination is expressed in "Doubtless"? How does this reflect Steve's life?
5. From whose perspective is the "Epilogue" written? How is she described?
6. How has Lupe's focus changed in the narrative by the time she reads "Imagine"?
7. What happens at the assembly at the end of the school year, as described by Tyrone?
8. What passion motivates Steve in "Steve Ericson"?
9. How does Porscha learn to express herself in poetry through "A Letter to My Mother"?
10. What does Wesley say to Sheila which makes her reconsider changing herself in "Sheila"? How does she express this in "Private Puzzle"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of beauty in the narrative. What poems and characters center on physical beauty, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the rhyme and meter of "If" and "Bronx Masquerade." Do the poems have a set structure or are they free-form? What effect do the structures have?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the metaphors, similes and structural elements in the poem "Inside." What metaphor does Janelle use to describe her body?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)