|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his commentary after the poem "The Door," Tyrone says the newspaper said the poetry was what in addition to "rich in positive messages"?
2. In his commentary on "Ode to Stone," Tyrone says "Man! That girl is as cold as" what?
3. How long has it been since Sheila's dad took over the pizza parlor from her uncle in "Sheila Gamberoni"?
4. What is the clean drawer labeled in the poem "Imagine"?
5. What is the name of Lupe's niece whom she adores?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of the poem "Self-Portrait: A Poem for My Father"?
2. How are the characters of Sheila and Tanisha similar? How are they different?
3. How does Raynard feel about schoolwork in "Raynard Patterson"?
4. From whose perspective is the "Epilogue" written? How is she described?
5. What is Amy's greatest fear? How does she describe this metaphorically in "Ode to Stone"?
6. What does Tyrone relate about the newspaper article after the reading of "The Door"?
7. What happens at the assembly at the end of the school year, as described by Tyrone?
8. How has Janelle's self esteem changed in the narrative before she reads "The Door"?
9. Where does Lupe say she wants to go to college in "Lupe"? Why?
10. What do each of the poets contribute to the poem "News at Five"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symbolism and themes in the poem "Mirror, Mirror." How is mirror imagery used in both the poem and in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the symbolism and imagery in the poem "High Dive." What emotional sense does the poem exhibit?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the themes of loneliness and friendship in "El Noche" and in the narrative. What symbolism represents these themes in the poem?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)