|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chankara shove into Porscha's mouth in "Porscha Johnson"?
2. In the poem "The Door," the author asks if the reader's heart is like what, too?
3. Who does Janelle say asked her to marry him yesterday in "Janelle"?
4. What musical instrument did Steve's dad play when he was Steve's age, in "Steve Ericson"?
5. Who is the only classmate Tyrone says got a closeup in the paper in the commentary after the poem "The Door"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Lupe say she wants to go to college in "Lupe"? Why?
2. How has Lupe's focus changed in the narrative by the time she reads "Imagine"?
3. What kind of poem is performed by Tyrone, Wesley and Sterling in the narrative?
4. What does Sheila say she wants to change her name to in "Sheila Gamberoni"? What is the reaction of the teacher and class?
5. What does Porscha's character represent symbolically in the narrative? How does her character relate to Chankara's?
6. What metaphors does Janelle use in the poem "The Door"?
7. Why does Amy say she became tough in "Amy Moscowitz"?
8. What secret is revealed in Raynard Patterson's poem?
9. From whose perspective is the "Epilogue" written? How is she described?
10. How are the characters of Sheila and Tanisha similar? How are they different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Harlem Renaissance. How does this era inspire the characters of "Bronx Masquerade"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Mr. Ward in the narrative. Why does Mr. Ward not have a monologue or poem in the narrative? How is he described by the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze alliteration and assonance in "Message to a Friend." How do these techniques create an aesthetic sound to the work?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)