|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What basketball team member brushes Devon off when he suggests he read poetry in "Devon"?
2. What is the name given to both a musical form and a music genre that originated in African-American communities of primarily the Deep South of the United States at the end of the 19th century from spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads?
3. What does Sterling say he wants to be in "Sterling S. Hughes"?
4. Where does Leslie say she grew up in "Leslie Lucas"?
5. Who does Judianne say every boy in school has a crush on in "Judianne Alexander"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tanisha describe herself in "Tanisha Scott"?
2. How does Lupe describe her home life in "Lupe"? What is the poem "Brown Hands" about?
3. What interaction do Janelle and Judianne have in the bathroom in "Janelle"?
4. What do Diondra and Devon represent archetypically in the narrative? What drives their characters?
5. What passion drives Devon in "Devon Hope"? Where does he spend his time?
6. What commentary does Tyrone contribute after Lupe reads "El Noche"?
7. How does Judianne describe herself in "Judianne Alexander"?
8. Who notices Devon's secret passion in "Devon Hope"? What does she do about it?
9. How does Gloria describe her life in "Gloria Martinez"?
10. What do Janelle and Judianne represent archetypically in the narrative? How are they alike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze religious allusion in the character of Sterling and in the poem "D-Train." How does faith play a role in Sterling's life and goals?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the symbolism and imagery in the poem "High Dive." What emotional sense does the poem exhibit?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the metaphors, similes and structural elements in the poem "Inside." What metaphor does Janelle use to describe her body?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)