|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wesley say his friend wants to be, but doesn't think he'll live long enough to achieve it in "Wesley Bad Boy Boone"?
2. Who does Tanisha elect to draw portraits for a group project in "Tanisha Scott"?
3. What was Sterling's little brother suffering from when his mom prayed and he became better in "Sterling S. Hughes"?
4. The author writes in "If" of planting what kind of roses "in your garden"?
5. Who does Sterling say has some direction in his life even if he "sounds like a thug in training" in "Sterling S. Hughes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gloria describe her life in "Gloria Martinez"?
2. What do Diondra and Devon represent archetypically in the narrative? What drives their characters?
3. Who does Janelle have a crush on? How does she compare herself to this individual in "Janelle Battle"?
4. Who does Lupe call after breaking up with her boyfriend in "Lupe"? What do they discuss?
5. What do Janelle and Judianne represent archetypically in the narrative? How are they alike?
6. What similarities do Devon and Tanisha share?
7. What is described in the poem "D-Train"?
8. How does Sterling describe himself in "Sterling S. Hughes"?
9. How does Tyrone describe his life in "Tyrone Bittings"?
10. What inspires Devon to become open about his passions in "Devon"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the imagery, structure and themes of "Black Box." How does the theme of judgment apply to the poem and to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the metaphors, similes and structural elements in the poem "Inside." What metaphor does Janelle use to describe her body?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze symbolism in the poem "Brown Hands." How does symbolism relate to a poem's themes?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)