|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes in "If" of planting what kind of roses "in your garden"?
2. Wesley says in "Wesley Bad Boy Boone" that if his friend "drops out and gets a J.O.B., he won't have any time to work on" what?
3. When was Langston Hughes born?
4. What does Janelle daydream as her last name in "Janelle Battle"?
5. What refers to a style of jazz characterized by fast tempo, instrumental virtuosity and improvisation based on the combination of harmonic structure and melody?
Short Essay Questions
1. What similarities do Devon and Tanisha share?
2. How does Wesley describe Tyrone in "Wesley 'Bad Boy' Boone"?
3. Who does Janelle have a crush on? How does she compare herself to this individual in "Janelle Battle"?
4. How do Wesley's actions contribute to the establishment of Open Mike Fridays?
5. What inspires Devon to become open about his passions in "Devon"?
6. How does Tyrone describe his life in "Tyrone Bittings"?
7. How is Sterling different from the other characters in the narrative?
8. What interaction do Janelle and Judianne have in the bathroom in "Janelle"?
9. How does Gloria describe her life in "Gloria Martinez"?
10. What do Diondra and Devon represent archetypically in the narrative? What drives their characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symbolism and themes in the poem "Mirror, Mirror." How is mirror imagery used in both the poem and in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the characters of Chankara and Raul in the narrative. What motivations drive each of these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Harlem Renaissance. How does this era inspire the characters of "Bronx Masquerade"?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)