|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author claim to be by way of metaphor in the poem "Inside"?
2. In "El Noche," the author writes of the earth being hollow as a what?
3. The author describes painting a ribbon of what "on your windowsill" in "If"?
4. What is the name of the English teacher who encourages the students in the book?
5. What refers to a famous time period in American history in which black writers, artists and musicians showcased their work in New York City?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leslie describe her life in "Leslie Lucas"? Why doesn't she feel she fits in?
2. What inspires Devon to become open about his passions in "Devon"?
3. What project does Tanisha ask Mr. Ward about in "Tanisha Scott"? What does her poem describe?
4. How does Wesley describe Tyrone in "Wesley 'Bad Boy' Boone"?
5. What is described in the poem "D-Train"?
6. Who does Janelle have a crush on? How does she compare herself to this individual in "Janelle Battle"?
7. How does Diondra feel when her artwork is exposed in "Diondra"?
8. What interaction do Janelle and Judianne have in the bathroom in "Janelle"?
9. What led up to the friendship between Leslie and Porscha in the narrative?
10. How is Sterling different from the other characters in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze alliteration and assonance in "Message to a Friend." How do these techniques create an aesthetic sound to the work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Mr. Ward in the narrative. Why does Mr. Ward not have a monologue or poem in the narrative? How is he described by the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze religious allusion in the character of Sterling and in the poem "D-Train." How does faith play a role in Sterling's life and goals?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)