|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Devon claim is a "gangsta in sheep's clothing" in "Devon Hope"?
2. When was Langston Hughes born?
3. What does Tanisha say she once washed her hair with in order to have afros like her cousins in "Tanisha Scott"?
4. What does Sterling say he wants to be in "Sterling S. Hughes"?
5. What is the name of the English teacher who encourages the students in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inner self does Diondra reveal in "Diondra Jordan"? What is her first poem about?
2. What project does Tanisha ask Mr. Ward about in "Tanisha Scott"? What does her poem describe?
3. Who does Lupe call after breaking up with her boyfriend in "Lupe"? What do they discuss?
4. How does Tanisha describe herself in "Tanisha Scott"?
5. What inspires Devon to become open about his passions in "Devon"?
6. What commentary does Tyrone contribute after Lupe reads "El Noche"?
7. What led to Chankara's bruises in "Chankara Troupe"?
8. What interaction do Janelle and Judianne have in the bathroom in "Janelle"?
9. What led up to the friendship between Leslie and Porscha in the narrative?
10. What do Diondra and Devon represent archetypically in the narrative? What drives their characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the themes of loneliness and friendship in "El Noche" and in the narrative. What symbolism represents these themes in the poem?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Leslie in the narrative. How is Leslie different from the other characters? What motivates her?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze religious allusion in the character of Sterling and in the poem "D-Train." How does faith play a role in Sterling's life and goals?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)