|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Janelle slip onto Devon's desk in "Devon Hope"?
2. Who wrote the 1937 novel "Their Eyes Were Watching God"?
3. Who does Tyrone say he had "figured him for a lightweight do-gooder who would last about five minutes in this neighborhood"?
4. How many brothers does Sterling S. Hughes have?
5. What is the name of the English teacher who encourages the students in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Diondra feel when her artwork is exposed in "Diondra"?
2. Who notices Devon's secret passion in "Devon Hope"? What does she do about it?
3. How does Tyrone describe his life in "Tyrone Bittings"?
4. What project does Tanisha ask Mr. Ward about in "Tanisha Scott"? What does her poem describe?
5. What similarities do Devon and Tanisha share?
6. What interaction do Janelle and Judianne have in the bathroom in "Janelle"?
7. What passion drives Devon in "Devon Hope"? Where does he spend his time?
8. Who does Lupe call after breaking up with her boyfriend in "Lupe"? What do they discuss?
9. What inspires Devon to become open about his passions in "Devon"?
10. What is the premise of "Bronx Masquerade"? What story is related through the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the imagery and symbolism in the poem "Common Ground." What does the earth represent in the poem?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze symbolism in the poem "Brown Hands." How does symbolism relate to a poem's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the rhyme and meter of "If" and "Bronx Masquerade." Do the poems have a set structure or are they free-form? What effect do the structures have?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)