|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Steve says that his mom still can't get past his wearing what in "Steve Ericson"?
(a) A tie.
(b) A suit.
(c) An earring.
(d) A watch.
2. What did Diondra slip a drawing of into her dad's easy chair before leaving for school in "Diondra"?
(a) Michael Jackson.
(b) B.B. King.
(c) Sammy Sosa.
(d) Bo Jackson.
3. Who is listed as the author of "What's in a Name"?
(a) Leslie Lucas.
(b) Diondra Jordan.
(c) Natalina Gamberoni.
(d) Amy Moscowitz.
4. What color hair does Sheila Gamberoni have?
5. In the poem "The Door," the author asks if the reader's heart is like what, too?
(a) An onion.
(b) A strawberry.
(c) A potato.
(d) A pineapple.
Short Answer Questions
1. Amy claims her name is like her how in "Amy Moscowitz"?
2. "Bronx Masquerade" was named the Coretta Scott King Award book in what year?
3. What professional poet has Mr. Ward invited to read at the next Open Night Friday in "Steve Ericson"?
4. In "Private Puzzle," the author writes "But still I go on seeking an ____ slot to slip myself into."
5. Who does Janelle say asked her to marry him yesterday in "Janelle"?
Short Essay Questions
1. From whose perspective is the "Epilogue" written? How is she described?
2. Why does Amy say she became tough in "Amy Moscowitz"?
3. What do each of the poets contribute to the poem "News at Five"?
4. What does Diondra's father become furious about in "Diondra"? What does she leave him in the hopes he will begin to understand her?
5. What commentary does Tyrone contribute after the reading of "Private Puzzle"?
6. What kind of poem is performed by Tyrone, Wesley and Sterling in the narrative?
7. What is foreshadowed in Diondra's poem "Self-Portrait: A Poem for My Father"?
8. How does the character of Diondra view conditional and unconditional love?
9. How does Porscha learn to express herself in poetry through "A Letter to My Mother"?
10. What does Sheila say she wants to change her name to in "Sheila Gamberoni"? What is the reaction of the teacher and class?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)