|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his commentary after the poem "The Door," Tyrone says he was quoted in the newspaper saying "our poetry gives us" what?
2. Who did Lupe have her first date with over the weekend in "Lupe"?
3. Where did Steve's dad's family move when he was Steve's age, causing him to stop playing in a band in "Steve Ericson"?
4. What does Tyrone say the room sounded like after the reading of "What's in a Name"?
(a) A dance hall.
(b) A cave.
(c) A tomb.
(d) A library.
5. What professional poet has Mr. Ward invited to read at the next Open Night Friday in "Steve Ericson"?
(a) Pedro Pietri.
(b) Benito Pastoriza Iyodo.
(c) Aurora Levins Morales.
(d) Manuel A. Alonso.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sister does Lupe say she'll miss when she goes away to college in "Lupe"?
2. Who catches Sheila's eye and shakes her head before going back to a drawing in "Sheila Gamberoni"?
3. What does the author imagine behind her eye in the poem "Imagine"?
4. How long ago did Steve's dad announce the family was moving in "Steve Ericson"?
5. Who does Janelle say asked her to marry him yesterday in "Janelle"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Amy's greatest fear? How does she describe this metaphorically in "Ode to Stone"?
2. What does Sheila say she wants to change her name to in "Sheila Gamberoni"? What is the reaction of the teacher and class?
3. What do each of the poets contribute to the poem "News at Five"?
4. What happens at the assembly at the end of the school year, as described by Tyrone?
5. How does Raynard feel about schoolwork in "Raynard Patterson"?
6. What does Wesley say to Sheila which makes her reconsider changing herself in "Sheila"? How does she express this in "Private Puzzle"?
7. What secret is revealed in Raynard Patterson's poem?
8. From whose perspective is the "Epilogue" written? How is she described?
9. What determination is expressed in "Doubtless"? How does this reflect Steve's life?
10. What is foreshadowed in Diondra's poem "Self-Portrait: A Poem for My Father"?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)