|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to a style of jazz characterized by fast tempo, instrumental virtuosity and improvisation based on the combination of harmonic structure and melody?
2. What has long been something of an "outsider" art form that exists somewhere outside the mainstream, having been conceived in the 1920s by African-Americans?
(a) Jazz poetry.
(b) Reggae sculpture.
(c) Blues haiku.
(d) Gospel pottery.
3. What does Tanisha say she once washed her hair with in order to have afros like her cousins in "Tanisha Scott"?
(c) Hydrogen peroxide.
(d) Paint thinner.
4. Janelle wishes she were tall and elegant like who, in "Janelle Battle"?
5. What is the name of the English teacher who encourages the students in the book?
(a) Mr. Boone.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mr. Ward.
(d) Mr. Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wesley describes writing a poem about what poet in "Wesley Bad Boy Boone"?
2. Tyrone says that his dad didn't make it to what age because he was killed in a drive-by shooting in "Tyrone Bitting"?
3. Who sends Lupe a note to ask if she's okay in "Lupe"?
4. What is the one thing Judianne says she learned from her mother in "Judianne Alexander"?
5. What is the name of the cousin Tanisha describes in "Tanisha Scott"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inner self does Diondra reveal in "Diondra Jordan"? What is her first poem about?
2. How is mirror imagery used symbolically in the narrative?
3. What is described in the poem "D-Train"?
4. How does Tanisha describe herself in "Tanisha Scott"?
5. What is the premise of "Bronx Masquerade"? What story is related through the narrative?
6. What project does Tanisha ask Mr. Ward about in "Tanisha Scott"? What does her poem describe?
7. How does Sterling describe himself in "Sterling S. Hughes"?
8. How do Wesley's actions contribute to the establishment of Open Mike Fridays?
9. Who does Lupe call after breaking up with her boyfriend in "Lupe"? What do they discuss?
10. How does Leslie describe her life in "Leslie Lucas"? Why doesn't she feel she fits in?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)