|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tanisha say she once washed her hair with in order to have afros like her cousins in "Tanisha Scott"?
(a) Paint thinner.
(b) Hydrogen peroxide.
2. What refers to a style of jazz characterized by fast tempo, instrumental virtuosity and improvisation based on the combination of harmonic structure and melody?
3. How tall is Diondra Jordan?
4. What does Sterling play every Sunday in church in "Sterling S. Hughes"?
5. Tanisha claims that she's so tired of people making a big deal over her good what in "Tanisha Scott"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Devon sneak off to when he tells his friends he's going to basketball practice in "Devon Hope"?
2. Who "believes in praying for everybody and giving them the benefit of the doubt" according to Devon in "Devon Hope"?
3. On what subject did Tanisha Scott ask Mr. Ward if she and two other girls could do a group project?
4. What poet does Tyrone say sounds a lot like rap in "Tyrone Bitting"?
5. What is the name of Gloria's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gloria describe her life in "Gloria Martinez"?
2. What inspires Devon to become open about his passions in "Devon"?
3. How does Diondra feel when her artwork is exposed in "Diondra"?
4. How is mirror imagery used symbolically in the narrative?
5. What is described in the poem "D-Train"?
6. How does Tyrone describe his life in "Tyrone Bittings"?
7. How does Judianne describe herself in "Judianne Alexander"?
8. How does Tanisha describe herself in "Tanisha Scott"?
9. How does Leslie describe her life in "Leslie Lucas"? Why doesn't she feel she fits in?
10. What project does Tanisha ask Mr. Ward about in "Tanisha Scott"? What does her poem describe?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)