|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Ode to Stone," the author writes "Let me be _____ / and I promise / I'll show you how to take / a shellacking."
2. What is the last line of "The Door"?
(a) "Different on the other side."
(b) "Away with the wind."
(c) "Happy times."
(d) "Peel away."
3. What does Mr. Ward tell Tyrone he plans to do with the videotape of the poems in "Tyrone"?
(a) Enter it in a national contest.
(b) Get it on t.v.
(c) Sell copies online.
(d) Show them to his next class.
4. What does Tyrone say the room sounded like after the reading of "What's in a Name"?
(a) A tomb.
(b) A library.
(c) A cave.
(d) A dance hall.
5. What does Tyrone say Mr. Ward gave each of the students in the class in "Tyrone"?
(a) A book of their work.
(b) A postcard.
(c) A bible.
(d) A gift certificate.
6. Who does Tyrone say got into the paper in his commentary after the poem "The Door"?
7. What does Amy say her religious beliefs are in "Amy Moscowitz"?
8. What is the name of the girl who Porscha Johnson beat up?
9. What "hangs on the wall" in the poem "The Door"?
10. Who is listed as the author of "What's in a Name"?
(a) Amy Moscowitz.
(b) Natalina Gamberoni.
(c) Diondra Jordan.
(d) Leslie Lucas.
11. In the poem "The Door," the author writes that she's been busy carving a door of what?
12. Who does Tyrone refer to as "skinny, bleach-blond" in "Tyrone"?
13. Lupe says that she wants to go to college far from who and his drinking buddies in "Lupe"?
14. How long has it been since Sheila's dad took over the pizza parlor from her uncle in "Sheila Gamberoni"?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 7 years.
15. What professional poet has Mr. Ward invited to read at the next Open Night Friday in "Steve Ericson"?
(a) Benito Pastoriza Iyodo.
(b) Manuel A. Alonso.
(c) Pedro Pietri.
(d) Aurora Levins Morales.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his commentary after the poem "The Door," Tyrone says the newspaper said the poetry was what in addition to "rich in positive messages"?
2. Who yells "Y'all got me to thank! Remember that!" for Open Mike Fridays in the assembly at the end of the school year?
3. How old is the person who asked Janelle to marry him in "Janelle"?
4. Who tells Lupe that she envies her in "Lupe"?
5. Whose walk does Sheila attempt to imitate in "Sheila"?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)