|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author of write in the final line after "P.S." in "A Letter to my Mother"?
(a) "Have a happy life."
(b) "You will never see me again."
(c) "Forever is such a long time."
2. In his commentary after the poem "The Door," Tyrone says the newspaper said the poetry was what in addition to "rich in positive messages"?
3. What is the clean drawer labeled in the poem "Imagine"?
4. Sheila says that if anybody had to catch her, she's glad it was who in "Sheila"?
5. In "Self-Portrait: A Poem for my Father," the author writes "Your definition [of love] is a" what?
6. What does Porscha say she's doing as soon as she turns twenty-one in "Porscha Johnson"?
(a) Getting a new car.
(b) Moving out of state.
(c) Changing her name.
(d) Getting a new job.
7. In the poem "The Door," the author writes that she's been busy carving a door of what?
8. Who catches Sheila's eye and shakes her head before going back to a drawing in "Sheila Gamberoni"?
9. What does Raynard say has always come easier for him than words in "Raynard Patterson"?
10. How old is the person who asked Janelle to marry him in "Janelle"?
11. Where did Steve's dad say the family was moving to in "Steve Ericson"?
(b) Greenly Village.
(c) Yorktown Heights.
(d) Oak Park.
12. Who does Janelle say asked her to marry him yesterday in "Janelle"?
13. Where does Janelle work as a tutor in "Janelle"?
(a) A private school.
(b) The public library.
(c) The high school.
(d) The middle school.
14. How long ago did Steve's dad announce the family was moving in "Steve Ericson"?
(a) 4 months.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 9 days.
15. Where was author Nikki Grimes born?
(a) Harlem, New York.
(b) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
(c) Boston, Massachusets.
(d) Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does the poet say he was when he looked to heaven in "Doubtless"?
2. Who tells Lupe that she envies her in "Lupe"?
3. What "hangs on the wall" in the poem "The Door"?
4. What professional poet has Mr. Ward invited to read at the next Open Night Friday in "Steve Ericson"?
5. In "Self-Portrait: A Poem for my Father," the author writes that she is what?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)