|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Leslie claim "has the reputation for being a little touched in the head" in "Leslie Lucas"?
(a) Porscha Johnson.
(b) Tyrone Bittings.
(c) Gloria Martinez.
(d) Raul Ramirez.
2. What basketball team member brushes Devon off when he suggests he read poetry in "Devon"?
3. What church does Sterling say he attends in "Sterling S. Hughes"?
(a) First Baptist Church.
(b) Al Hamid Mosque.
(c) First Church of Christ.
(d) The Mormon Church.
4. Who wrote the 1937 novel "Their Eyes Were Watching God"?
(a) Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.
(b) Margaret Mitchell.
(c) Zora Neale Hurston.
(d) Taylor Caldwell.
5. What does Tanisha say Tyrone calls her in "Tanisha Scott"?
(a) "Honey bear."
(b) "Dark chocolate."
(c) "Sweet pea."
(d) "Caramel cutie."
6. What refers to a style of jazz characterized by fast tempo, instrumental virtuosity and improvisation based on the combination of harmonic structure and melody?
7. What does Janelle say the kids call her behind her back in "Janelle Battle"?
(a) "Battle of the Bulge."
(b) "The Jiggle Queen."
(c) "Shamu the Whale."
(d) "Muffin Top."
8. Who does Judianne say every boy in school has a crush on in "Judianne Alexander"?
(a) Tanisha Scott.
(b) Chankara Troupe.
(c) Gloria Martinez.
(d) Diondra Jordan.
9. What is the name of the English teacher who encourages the students in the book?
(a) Mr. Boone.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mr. Jones.
(d) Mr. Ward.
10. The author writes in "If" of planting what kind of roses "in your garden"?
(d) Long stem.
11. Who does Tyrone describe as "all hopped up about working on Broadway" in "Tyrone Bitting"?
12. What does the author claim to be by way of metaphor in the poem "Inside"?
(a) A coconut.
(b) A tree.
(c) A frog.
(d) A tiger.
13. Wesley says in "Wesley Bad Boy Boone" that if his friend "drops out and gets a J.O.B., he won't have any time to work on" what?
(a) His songs.
(b) His degree.
(c) His car.
(d) His painting.
14. Who sends Lupe a note to ask if she's okay in "Lupe"?
15. Tanisha claims that she's so tired of people making a big deal over her good what in "Tanisha Scott"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Leslie Lucas," Leslie claims she likes Sheryl Crow while the other kids at her school like who?
2. What caused the death of Leslie's mother in "Leslie Lucas"?
3. What is the buoy called in the poem "Common Ground"?
4. What is the one thing Judianne says she learned from her mother in "Judianne Alexander"?
5. What does the "S." in "Sterling S. Hughes" stand for?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)