|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What intersection in Harlem is described in "Long Live Langston"?
(a) Malcolm X Blvd and 128th.
(b) Lenox and 7th.
(c) 145th and Broadway.
(d) 151st and Amsterdam Ave.
2. What does Wesley say his friend wants to be, but doesn't think he'll live long enough to achieve it in "Wesley Bad Boy Boone"?
(a) A football player.
(b) A hip-hop star.
(c) A basketball player.
(d) A doctor.
3. Diondra wishes she were as bold as who in "Diondra Jordan"?
4. Who wrote the 1937 novel "Their Eyes Were Watching God"?
(a) Taylor Caldwell.
(b) Margaret Mitchell.
(c) Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.
(d) Zora Neale Hurston.
5. Wesley describes writing a poem about what poet in "Wesley Bad Boy Boone"?
(a) Langston Hughes.
(b) Jupiter Hammon.
(c) Gwendolyn Brooks.
(d) Maya Angelou.
6. In "Leslie Lucas," Leslie claims she likes Sheryl Crow while the other kids at her school like who?
(b) Queen Latifah.
(c) Janet Jackson.
(d) Lauryn Hill.
7. Who does Judianne say every boy in school has a crush on in "Judianne Alexander"?
(a) Tanisha Scott.
(b) Diondra Jordan.
(c) Gloria Martinez.
(d) Chankara Troupe.
8. Who does Judianne say she has "a thing for" in "Judianne Alexander"?
9. Who does Leslie refer to as "the one girl in class almost nobody knows anything about" in "Leslie Lucas"?
(a) Amy Moscowitz.
(b) Sheila Gamberoni.
(c) Porscha Johnson.
(d) Diondra Jordan.
10. What refers to a style of jazz characterized by fast tempo, instrumental virtuosity and improvisation based on the combination of harmonic structure and melody?
11. What is the name given to both a musical form and a music genre that originated in African-American communities of primarily the Deep South of the United States at the end of the 19th century from spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads?
12. With what other girls did Tanisha Scott ask Mr. Ward if they could do a group project?
(a) Diondra and Janelle.
(b) Porscha and Amy.
(c) Chankara and Porscha.
(d) Lupe and Chankara.
13. What caused the death of Porscha Johnson's mother in the narrative?
(b) Drug overdose.
(d) Drive-by shooting.
14. Tanisha claims that she's so tired of people making a big deal over her good what in "Tanisha Scott"?
15. What color eyes does Tanisha Scott have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the English teacher who encourages the students in the book?
2. The author describes painting a ribbon of what "on your windowsill" in "If"?
3. Diondra says that she likes drawing portraits in what medium in "Diondra Jordan"?
4. What famous music hall and theater where many black musicians and comedians started their careers is mentioned in "Long Live Langston"?
5. Whose poem does Janelle say she cannot get out of her head in "Janelle"?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)