|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Tyrone's commentary following Diondra's poem "If," he says "If the sista read any faster, I'd be looking for her" what?
(a) Books on tape.
(b) X-ray glasses.
(c) Supergirl cape.
(d) Source of powers.
2. Who is the only person who knows that Diondra has been drawing since she was a child in "Diondra Jordan"?
3. How tall is Diondra Jordan?
4. On what subject did Tanisha Scott ask Mr. Ward if she and two other girls could do a group project?
(a) Women of the Harlem Renaissance.
(b) The American Revolution.
(c) New York City history.
(d) World War II.
5. What is the name of the English teacher who encourages the students in the book?
(a) Mr. Boone.
(b) Mr. Ward.
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) Mr. Jones.
6. What is the buoy called in the poem "Common Ground"?
7. Who does Judianne say she has "a thing for" in "Judianne Alexander"?
8. What refers to a famous time period in American history in which black writers, artists and musicians showcased their work in New York City?
(a) The Black Breakthrough.
(b) The Manhattan Jazz Years.
(c) The Harlem Renaissance.
(d) The Civil Rights Era.
9. Who does Judianne say every boy in school has a crush on in "Judianne Alexander"?
(a) Gloria Martinez.
(b) Chankara Troupe.
(c) Tanisha Scott.
(d) Diondra Jordan.
10. What does the "S." in "Sterling S. Hughes" stand for?
11. Whose poem does Janelle say she cannot get out of her head in "Janelle"?
12. What book does Janelle slip onto Devon's desk in "Devon Hope"?
(a) The Jungle Book.
(b) The Rose That Grew From Concrete.
(c) The Panther & the Lash.
(d) The Holy Bible.
13. What poet does Tyrone say sounds a lot like rap in "Tyrone Bitting"?
(a) Quincy Troupe.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) Claude McKay.
(d) Dylan Thomas.
14. Who does Sterling say has some direction in his life even if he "sounds like a thug in training" in "Sterling S. Hughes"?
15. What does Janelle say the kids call her behind her back in "Janelle Battle"?
(a) "Shamu the Whale."
(b) "Muffin Top."
(c) "Battle of the Bulge."
(d) "The Jiggle Queen."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lupe's last name?
2. In "Wesley Bad Boy Boone," Wesley says he has the longest list of excuses for missing what?
3. Janelle wishes she were tall and elegant like who, in "Janelle Battle"?
4. Who does Leslie refer to as "the one girl in class almost nobody knows anything about" in "Leslie Lucas"?
5. Who "tries to act like he's not even interested in school, like there's no point in studying hard, or dreaming about tomorrow, or bothering to graduate" in "Wesley Bad Boy Boone"?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)