|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Diondra wishes she were as bold as who in "Diondra Jordan"?
2. In the poem "If," the author writes "If I stood on tiptoe / reached up and sculpted / mountains from ____ / would you laugh out loud?"
3. What famous music hall and theater where many black musicians and comedians started their careers is mentioned in "Long Live Langston"?
(a) Chicago Theatre.
(b) Ford's Theatre.
(c) Broadway Theatre.
(d) The Apollo.
4. What is the one thing Judianne says she learned from her mother in "Judianne Alexander"?
(a) How to play bridge.
(b) How to clean.
(c) How to sew.
(d) How to garden.
5. Devon says that he feels like he's trying to break out of a box that says what, in "Devon"?
(a) "Poor kid."
(b) "Dumb jock."
(d) "Skinny nerd."
6. Who wrote "Preface to a Twenty Volume Suicide"?
(a) Mirza Alakbar Sabir.
(b) Ghulam Mustafa Khan.
(c) Abdul Rahman Munif.
(d) Imamu Amiri Baraka.
7. Who does Lupe say she broke up with last night in "Lupe"?
8. Who sends Lupe a note to ask if she's okay in "Lupe"?
9. Janelle wishes she were tall and elegant like who, in "Janelle Battle"?
10. Whose eye does Devon describe catching in the cafeteria line in "Devon"?
11. What is the name given to both a musical form and a music genre that originated in African-American communities of primarily the Deep South of the United States at the end of the 19th century from spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads?
12. Who wrote the 1937 novel "Their Eyes Were Watching God"?
(a) Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.
(b) Taylor Caldwell.
(c) Zora Neale Hurston.
(d) Margaret Mitchell.
13. Who does Tyrone describe as "all hopped up about working on Broadway" in "Tyrone Bitting"?
14. In "Attendance," the author writes, "We are all here, / Leslie and Bad Boy, Lupe and" who?
15. Who "believes in praying for everybody and giving them the benefit of the doubt" according to Devon in "Devon Hope"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tanisha say she once washed her hair with in order to have afros like her cousins in "Tanisha Scott"?
2. What refers to a famous time period in American history in which black writers, artists and musicians showcased their work in New York City?
3. How tall is Diondra Jordan?
4. Who does Sterling say has some direction in his life even if he "sounds like a thug in training" in "Sterling S. Hughes"?
5. What poet does Tyrone say sounds a lot like rap in "Tyrone Bitting"?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)