|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose eye does Devon describe catching in the cafeteria line in "Devon"?
2. What is the buoy called in the poem "Common Ground"?
3. In "El Noche," the author writes of the earth being hollow as a what?
4. Who does Devon claim is a "gangsta in sheep's clothing" in "Devon Hope"?
5. How many brothers does Sterling S. Hughes have?
6. Devon says that he feels like he's trying to break out of a box that says what, in "Devon"?
(a) "Dumb jock."
(b) "Skinny nerd."
(d) "Poor kid."
7. In the poem "Mirror, Mirror," the author describes who meeting in the mirror?
8. Who does Sterling say has some direction in his life even if he "sounds like a thug in training" in "Sterling S. Hughes"?
9. What does Janelle refer to herself as in "Janelle Battle"?
(b) "250 Pounds of Heaven."
(c) "Full Figured Goddess."
(d) "Thighs 'R' Us."
10. Who does Lupe say she broke up with last night in "Lupe"?
11. Diondra says that she likes drawing portraits in what medium in "Diondra Jordan"?
12. Who does Tanisha elect to draw portraits for a group project in "Tanisha Scott"?
13. Who was the author of "Home to Harlem" in 1928?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Carl Sandburg.
(d) Claude McKay.
14. What church does Sterling say he attends in "Sterling S. Hughes"?
(a) Al Hamid Mosque.
(b) First Church of Christ.
(c) First Baptist Church.
(d) The Mormon Church.
15. What color eyes does Tanisha Scott have?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Tyrone's commentary following Diondra's poem "If," he says "If the sista read any faster, I'd be looking for her" what?
2. In the poem "If," the author writes "If I stood on tiptoe / reached up and sculpted / mountains from ____ / would you laugh out loud?"
3. Who does Leslie refer to as "the one girl in class almost nobody knows anything about" in "Leslie Lucas"?
4. What "infantile game" does Sterling say the guys at school are always trying to draw him into in "Sterling S. Hughes"?
5. In "Attendance," the author writes, "We are all here, / Leslie and Bad Boy, Lupe and" who?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)