|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Lupe, p. 65 to Tyrone, p. 81.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "El Noche," the author writes of the earth being hollow as a what?
2. Who wrote the 1937 novel "Their Eyes Were Watching God"?
(a) Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.
(b) Zora Neale Hurston.
(c) Taylor Caldwell.
(d) Margaret Mitchell.
3. When was Langston Hughes born?
4. What is the name given to both a musical form and a music genre that originated in African-American communities of primarily the Deep South of the United States at the end of the 19th century from spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads?
5. What does the author claim to be by way of metaphor in the poem "Inside"?
(a) A frog.
(b) A tree.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A coconut.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Devon say "hardly speaks, and he never hangs with any of the brothers I know" in "Devon Hope"?
2. What is the name of the cousin Tanisha describes in "Tanisha Scott"?
3. What caused the death of Porscha Johnson's mother in the narrative?
4. In 1943, Langston Hughes began publishing stories about what character who was an everyday black man in Harlem and offered musings on topical issues of the day?
5. The author writes in "If" of planting what kind of roses "in your garden"?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)