|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Janelle Battle, p. 46 to Tyrone, p. 64.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Devon say "hardly speaks, and he never hangs with any of the brothers I know" in "Devon Hope"?
2. In "Attendance," the author writes, "Can't hop on the subway / without thinkin' of" what?
3. What has long been something of an "outsider" art form that exists somewhere outside the mainstream, having been conceived in the 1920s by African-Americans?
(a) Gospel pottery.
(b) Reggae sculpture.
(c) Blues haiku.
(d) Jazz poetry.
4. Who does Judianne say every boy in school has a crush on in "Judianne Alexander"?
(a) Diondra Jordan.
(b) Gloria Martinez.
(c) Tanisha Scott.
(d) Chankara Troupe.
5. What does Janelle say the kids call her behind her back in "Janelle Battle"?
(a) "Battle of the Bulge."
(b) "The Jiggle Queen."
(c) "Shamu the Whale."
(d) "Muffin Top."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Judianne say she has "a thing for" in "Judianne Alexander"?
2. What does the author claim to be by way of metaphor in the poem "Inside"?
3. Wesley describes writing a poem about what poet in "Wesley Bad Boy Boone"?
4. In 1943, Langston Hughes began publishing stories about what character who was an everyday black man in Harlem and offered musings on topical issues of the day?
5. Who does Leslie refer to as "the one girl in class almost nobody knows anything about" in "Leslie Lucas"?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)