|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Diondra Jordan p. 24 to Tyrone, p. 45.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Langston Hughes born?
2. In 1943, Langston Hughes began publishing stories about what character who was an everyday black man in Harlem and offered musings on topical issues of the day?
(a) Robert R. Average.
(b) Daniel P. Everybody.
(c) Jesse B. Semple.
(d) John Q. Public.
3. Who does Devon say "hardly speaks, and he never hangs with any of the brothers I know" in "Devon Hope"?
4. In "Attendance," the author writes, "Can't hop on the subway / without thinkin' of" what?
5. In the poem "If," the author writes "If I stood on tiptoe / reached up and sculpted / mountains from ____ / would you laugh out loud?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wesley say his friend wants to be, but doesn't think he'll live long enough to achieve it in "Wesley Bad Boy Boone"?
2. What book does Janelle slip onto Devon's desk in "Devon Hope"?
3. What has long been something of an "outsider" art form that exists somewhere outside the mainstream, having been conceived in the 1920s by African-Americans?
4. What intersection in Harlem is described in "Long Live Langston"?
5. Who "tries to act like he's not even interested in school, like there's no point in studying hard, or dreaming about tomorrow, or bothering to graduate" in "Wesley Bad Boy Boone"?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)