|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Janelle Battle, p. 46 to Tyrone, p. 64.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Judianne say every boy in school has a crush on in "Judianne Alexander"?
(a) Gloria Martinez.
(b) Chankara Troupe.
(c) Diondra Jordan.
(d) Tanisha Scott.
2. What refers to a style of jazz characterized by fast tempo, instrumental virtuosity and improvisation based on the combination of harmonic structure and melody?
3. Who does Tyrone describe as "all hopped up about working on Broadway" in "Tyrone Bitting"?
4. Who was the author of "Home to Harlem" in 1928?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Carl Sandburg.
(d) Claude McKay.
5. What is the name given to both a musical form and a music genre that originated in African-American communities of primarily the Deep South of the United States at the end of the 19th century from spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads?
Short Answer Questions
1. What intersection in Harlem is described in "Long Live Langston"?
2. What name does Devon claim everyone calls him in "Devon Hope"?
3. Who is the only person who knows that Diondra has been drawing since she was a child in "Diondra Jordan"?
4. What is the name of the English teacher who encourages the students in the book?
5. In the poem "If," the author writes "If I stood on tiptoe / reached up and sculpted / mountains from ____ / would you laugh out loud?"
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)