|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author describing in the prologue?
2. What point of view is used in the prologue of the novel?
3. Why did Wanda work hard to never break a dish in the Schultz household?
4. What two rooms did the only girl in the Schultz family have all to herself?
5. Where does Margaret tell Wanda most of the collectibles in her house came from in chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the day Margaret's mother died? What happens to Margaret in the aftermath of her mother's death?
2. Who does Wanda see on the street in front of a vintage record store? What happens after she sees this person?
3. Who is the first respondent to Margaret's ad for a roommate? Why does Margaret like this first respondent?
4. Why does Margaret Hughes decide to get a roommate? Who does she need to consult first?
5. What does Margaret begin seeing in chapter 8? What is this a symptom of?
6. Who does Margaret take to the opening night of Wanda's play? What does Margaret give to Wanda after the play is over?
7. Why does Margaret go to the Hotel Orleans in chapter 10? Who does she meet there?
8. What role does Stephen play in Margaret's life now that the two are divorced?
9. How is Daniel Hughes killed? What happens to Margaret in the aftermath of his death?
10. What discussions does Margaret have with her doctor in chapter 10? What is the result of these discussions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the first mosaic Wanda makes with the shards from Margaret's china collection? What is the significance of this piece? What notoriety does she receive from her work? What idea does Troy have in regards to Wanda's art that will change the house in which Margaret lives? What mosaic does Barbara Cohen hire Wanda to make? Who appears in the piece? Whose kitchen does the piece resemble? What does it mean to Wanda? To Margaret?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Gina? Why does she marry Michael? Why does she insist that she cannot have children? What happens when she does have a child? How does Michael respond to his wife's inability to deal with their child? How does Michael respond when Gina leaves him and his daughter? Why did Michael put his entire life on hold for this one woman? Where has his search for Gina taken Michael? To which character does Michael's obsession with his wife compare? How do they compare?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Irma Kosminsky? How does she become acquainted with Michael? Why does Michael initially refuse to take her Hawaiian shirt? What happens to cause Michael to take the shirts after all? What is the nature of the relationship between Michael and Irma? Why does this relationship change the way in which Michael has recently been living his life? Is this a good change? Where does the reader suspect this relationship is headed? How does the author foreshadow the end of this relationship?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)