|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first room Margaret shows Wanda in chapter 2?
2. What does Margaret have a strong impulse to call the valet at the Hotel Orleans?
3. What picture does Margaret take from her wallet and study while in the coffee shop in chapter 1?
4. What two attributes does Wanda assign to Margaret that gives her great comfort?
5. How many children do the Schultzes have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was life like for Wanda when she lived with the Schultz family?
2. How is Daniel Hughes killed? What happens to Margaret in the aftermath of his death?
3. What brought Wanda to Seattle? Why?
4. Who does Margaret take to the opening night of Wanda's play? What does Margaret give to Wanda after the play is over?
5. What does Margaret begin seeing in chapter 8? What is this a symptom of?
6. For what reason does Margaret decide to invite another person to live in her house? What is this new roommate's profession?
7. What role does Stephen play in Margaret's life now that the two are divorced?
8. Why do Margaret and Wanda begin breaking plates in chapter 13? What is the purpose?
9. What causes the decline of Stephen and Margaret's marriage?
10. Who does Wanda see on the street in front of a vintage record store? What happens after she sees this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Wanda Schultz? Why is she so depressed? What happened to Wanda's ex-lover? What happened to Wanda's parents? Why was Wanda adopted? What does Wanda do for a career? What does Margaret call Wanda? Why? Why does Wanda keep searching for her ex-lover? What happens when Troy tries to help her? Who did Wanda really see when she thought she saw Peter? How is Wanda injured? Why does she refuse to speak?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Margaret Hughes? What illness does she have? What does Margaret decide to do about this illness? Why does Margaret decide to invite a stranger to move in with her? Why does Margaret worry about what her figurines and other valuables might think of her new roommate? How does Margaret get along with her new roommate? Who disapproves of Margaret's new roommate? Why? Why does Margaret later decide to invite other people to move in with herself and her new roommate?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Detective Tink Lorenzini? Why does Wanda insist on taking on this persona? For what purpose? Who is Troy? How does Troy react to Wanda's desire to find Peter? Why does Wanda rush across the street in chapter 16? Who did she think she saw? Who did she really see? What happens to Wanda? Why does she refuse to speak after her recovery has begun? What does this say about Wanda's state of mind? How does this impact the people around her?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)