|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many columns of Hughes does Margaret find in the phone book, suggesting the trouble Gus McPherson had finding her number?
2. Why does Margaret wake Wanda at five in the morning in chapter 14?
3. Why does Wanda become angry with Troy in chapter 16?
4. What is the author describing in the prologue?
5. What on the walls of the coffee shop makes Margaret think of an unpleasant movie she once saw?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the decline of Stephen and Margaret's marriage?
2. Who is the first respondent to Margaret's ad for a roommate? Why does Margaret like this first respondent?
3. What brought Wanda to Seattle? Why?
4. What was life like for Wanda when she lived with the Schultz family?
5. How is Daniel Hughes killed? What happens to Margaret in the aftermath of his death?
6. Why does the author introduce a dream that both Wanda and Margaret are having in chapter 7?
7. What happened to Wanda's parents that caused her to live with her aunt and uncle?
8. Who does Margaret take to the opening night of Wanda's play? What does Margaret give to Wanda after the play is over?
9. What discussions does Margaret have with her doctor in chapter 10? What is the result of these discussions?
10. Why does Margaret go to the Hotel Orleans in chapter 10? Who does she meet there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happened to Margaret's mother? When did she die? Why does Margaret begin to see her mother? What role did her mother play in Margaret's life when she was a child? Now, as Margaret is an adult? What does it say about Margaret's health that she is seeing dead people? What does it say about her state of mind? Why does Margaret see her mother? Why does she not see her father or others who have died in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Micheal? Why has he come to Seattle? Where does he work? For what reason? Who does he befriend? What happens to this friendship when the person's spouse dies? Why does Micheal choose to remain in Seattle when it is normally his habit to move on frequently? What is Micheal searching for in his frequent moves? Does he ever find what he is looking for? Why or why not? Who is Micheal's favorite writer?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Irma Kosminsky? How does she become acquainted with Michael? Why does Michael initially refuse to take her Hawaiian shirt? What happens to cause Michael to take the shirts after all? What is the nature of the relationship between Michael and Irma? Why does this relationship change the way in which Michael has recently been living his life? Is this a good change? Where does the reader suspect this relationship is headed? How does the author foreshadow the end of this relationship?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)