|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author suggest you do at the end of the prologue?
2. What does Oscar Hauptmann tell Margaret caused the death of her mother?
3. Why does Wanda resist Troy's advances in chapter 16?
4. What is Creative Visualization?
5. What did Peter tell Wanda he needed to do with his life that led to their separation, as Wanda explains it in chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the day Margaret's mother died? What happens to Margaret in the aftermath of her mother's death?
2. Why does Margaret go to the Hotel Orleans in chapter 10? Who does she meet there?
3. What discussions does Margaret have with her doctor in chapter 10? What is the result of these discussions?
4. How is Daniel Hughes killed? What happens to Margaret in the aftermath of his death?
5. What was life like for Wanda when she lived with the Schultz family?
6. What brought Wanda to Seattle? Why?
7. Why do Margaret and Wanda begin breaking plates in chapter 13? What is the purpose?
8. Why does the author introduce a dream that both Wanda and Margaret are having in chapter 7?
9. Who does Wanda see on the street in front of a vintage record store? What happens after she sees this person?
10. What happened to Wanda's parents that caused her to live with her aunt and uncle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Margaret's son die? How did this death impact Margaret's life? Why did she become a recluse? Why does Margaret treat the objects in her home as though they are alive and a part of her family? Where did some of these objects come from? How does this knowledge affect Margaret? What does Margaret eventually do with these items? How does this inspire Wanda to become a collage artist? How does this change Margaret and Wanda's lives?
Essay Topic 2
What happened to Margaret's mother? When did she die? Why does Margaret begin to see her mother? What role did her mother play in Margaret's life when she was a child? Now, as Margaret is an adult? What does it say about Margaret's health that she is seeing dead people? What does it say about her state of mind? Why does Margaret see her mother? Why does she not see her father or others who have died in her life?
Essay Topic 3
How does Margaret meet Gus McPherson? What role does Gus play in Margaret's life? What gift does Margaret make to Wanda in chapter 12? What does this say about their changing relationship? Why does Margaret suddenly begin making friends and coming out of her reclusive lifestyle when she learns she is dying? What does this say about Margaret's character? Do Margaret's new friends know about her illness? Explain.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)