|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the only girl in the Schultz family named after?
2. What item does the author suggest you might pick up off a desk in the prologue?
3. What type of classes did one of the potential applicants for Margaret's roommate did the woman want to hold in the house?
4. What does Wanda notice in chapter 15 is one common thread among many of the people responding to Margaret's ad for a new roommate?
5. Who was the one person Margaret felt was not happy in her household when she was a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margaret think she hears Wanda doing in the bathroom during their initial interview? Why does Wanda do this?
2. What brought Wanda to Seattle? Why?
3. Why do Margaret and Wanda begin breaking plates in chapter 13? What is the purpose?
4. For what reason does Margaret decide to invite another person to live in her house? What is this new roommate's profession?
5. Who does Wanda see on the street in front of a vintage record store? What happens after she sees this person?
6. What is significant about the day Margaret's mother died? What happens to Margaret in the aftermath of her mother's death?
7. How is Daniel Hughes killed? What happens to Margaret in the aftermath of his death?
8. What was life like for Wanda when she lived with the Schultz family?
9. Why does Margaret go to the Hotel Orleans in chapter 10? Who does she meet there?
10. What happened to Wanda's parents that caused her to live with her aunt and uncle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the first mosaic Wanda makes with the shards from Margaret's china collection? What is the significance of this piece? What notoriety does she receive from her work? What idea does Troy have in regards to Wanda's art that will change the house in which Margaret lives? What mosaic does Barbara Cohen hire Wanda to make? Who appears in the piece? Whose kitchen does the piece resemble? What does it mean to Wanda? To Margaret?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Irma Kosminsky? How does she become acquainted with Michael? Why does Michael initially refuse to take her Hawaiian shirt? What happens to cause Michael to take the shirts after all? What is the nature of the relationship between Michael and Irma? Why does this relationship change the way in which Michael has recently been living his life? Is this a good change? Where does the reader suspect this relationship is headed? How does the author foreshadow the end of this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Wanda was adopted by her aunt and uncle. Examine this family. How does Wanda fit in with this surrogate family? How many siblings are there? Why does one of the children resent Wanda? How does Wanda feel about that? How did losing her parents impact Wanda? How has Wanda's past shaped her present? Why is Wanda so obsessed with her ex-lover? Why does Wanda believe the unsigned postcard is from her ex-lover?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)