|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Michael O'Casey like bowling alleys?
(a) He likes the rental shoes.
(b) He likes the sport.
(c) He likes the noise and action.
(d) He likes the silence.
2. What bird does Gina remind Michael of in the picture he took at the bowling alley in chapter 19?
(a) A swan.
(b) A stork.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A mockingbird.
3. What is 'Blues in the Night'?
(a) Michael and Gina's song.
(b) Gina's favorite song.
(c) Maureen's favorite song.
(d) Wanda's favorite lullaby.
4. In chapter 22, what does Striker see across the street as he walks to Aloha Lanes?
(a) A dog scrounging for food.
(b) A child looking for his mother.
(c) A woman crying.
(d) A couple arguing.
5. How long does Striker promise in chapter 20 to remain at his new job should he be hired?
(a) Six months.
(b) A month.
(c) A year.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a tiki statue?
2. What does Michael want to do for Gina in the early part of their relationship?
3. What does Striker read on Easter Sunday?
4. What role does Striker imagine himself playing in the midst of a car accident at the end of chapter 22?
5. What does Michael notice is a pattern in Gina's art?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Michael forced to quit college after marrying Gina?
2. Why does Gina become pregnant soon after marrying Michael even though she has told him she does not wish to have children?
3. How does Striker celebrate Easter in chapter 22?
4. How does the author draw parallels between Striker and Irma concerning their painful pasts?
5. What does Striker see in the street in chapter 22? How does this make Striker feel?
6. What picture does Striker have of his wife and how does this connect him with Wanda Schultz?
7. What symbolic item is mentioned in chapter 18 that is related to a similar item symbolically important to Wanda Schultz?
8. How does Striker feel about religion, as the reader learns in chapter 21?
9. What odd behaviors on the part of Gina Lorenzini does Michael O'Casey overlook due to his amorous feelings for her?
10. How does Wanda's knowledge of her parents' relationship compare with what Striker has revealed to the reader in part two of the novel?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)