|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story about Ellen, who developed bipolar disorder in high school, and her mother was her caretaker 17 years later, what did Ellen graduate college to become?
2. In what year did Patty Duke make her television movie about her manic-depressive illness?
3. From what play comes the line, "The lunatic, the lover, and the poet, are of imagination all compact"?
4. Who is the controversial former Prime Minister of Israel referred to in Chapter 8?
5. Where did Akiskal study 750 psychiatric patients looking for a link between creativity and manic depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the argument regarding treatment for the creative manic depressant?
2. What concerns doctors in discussing manic depression and creativity?
3. What are the effects of dealing with a parent with manic depression?
4. What are the side effects associated with lithium?
5. Discuss anticonvulsants and neuroleptics.
6. What pressures did Patty put on herself in her family life? How did these lead to episodes?
7. In Chapter 10, the relationships between spouses with manic depression are discussed. Describe these.
8. What "gift" does Patty Duke conclude she gained from her illness?
9. What is the correlation between CEOs and manic depression?
10. What does Dr. Jamison believe doctors should do when treating the artist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theory of personality types and their predisposition toward manic-depressive illness. What are the types and how can they be indicators?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss schizophrenia. What are the origins of schizophrenia? How can it resemble manic depression? How does it differ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Patty Duke's marriages. To whom was she married, when, and for how long? How many children does she have?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)