|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story about siblings dealing with manic depression, who is Judd's sister?
2. Charles Burney was the biographer of which composer?
3. Who is the author of the book, Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament?
4. An overdose of lithium can result in what?
5. In what year did Patty Duke end up at Dr. Arlen's home at 2 a.m. having a manic episode?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss anticonvulsants and neuroleptics.
2. When is it necessary to hospitalize a bipolar patient?
3. What happens after hospitalization with bipolar patients?
4. What is Patty's biggest regret about her behavior before she was diagnosed?
5. What can be the result of siblings coping with someone with manic depression?
6. What led to Patty's depressions early in her marriage to John Astin?
7. What concerns doctors in discussing manic depression and creativity?
8. What pressures did Patty put on herself in her family life? How did these lead to episodes?
9. What are the side effects associated with lithium?
10. Discuss the antidepressants discussed in Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of psychotherapy in treating manic-depressive illness. How helpful is it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the potential for relapses in bipolar patients. What can lead to relapses? How can patients avoid them? What treatment is typical in the case of relapses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different forms of manic-depressive illness detailed in the text. What are they, what are their symptoms, and how are they differentiated from one another?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)