|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Patty Duke play in The Miracle Worker?
2. Winston Churchill's biographer described him as what?
3. The doctor who discovered lithium's effects on mania originally suspected that what was the culprit for the disease?
4. Where does Patty's brother live?
5. In what year was the book published upon which Patty's docudrama was based?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss anticonvulsants and neuroleptics.
2. What did the psychiatrist and Patty disagree about regarding her manic "epiphany"?
3. What pressures did Patty put on herself in her family life? How did these lead to episodes?
4. What does Patty Duke conclude regarding talent and manic depression?
5. What is lithium? How did it come to be discovered?
6. What does Dr. Jamison believe doctors should do when treating the artist?
7. What "gift" does Patty Duke conclude she gained from her illness?
8. In Chapter 10, the relationships between spouses with manic depression are discussed. Describe these.
9. What led to Patty's depressions early in her marriage to John Astin?
10. What did making Call Me Anna cause Patty to see about manic depression and its effects on acting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the childhood of Patty Duke. What was her relationship to her parents? Who were Patty's "adoptive" parents and what was their role in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of psychotherapy in treating manic-depressive illness. How helpful is it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss schizophrenia. What are the origins of schizophrenia? How can it resemble manic depression? How does it differ?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)