|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the seventh-century commander-in-chief and Lord Protector of England?
2. Which composer wrote of his delusions to his fiancé Clara Wieck?
3. When were monoamine oxidase inhibitors ushered into the antidepressant era?
4. Who is the Italian psychiatrist who wrote Man of Genius?
5. Who discovered lithium's effects on mania?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is lithium? How did it come to be discovered?
2. Discuss the effects of parents who pass on manic-depression to their children.
3. What is the argument regarding treatment for the creative manic depressant?
4. What would happen in the fights between John Astin and Patty?
5. What happens after hospitalization with bipolar patients?
6. What did the psychiatrist and Patty disagree about regarding her manic "epiphany"?
7. What is the correlation between CEOs and manic depression?
8. What "gift" does Patty Duke conclude she gained from her illness?
9. What can be the result of siblings coping with someone with manic depression?
10. What pressures did Patty put on herself in her family life? How did these lead to episodes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Patty Duke's descriptions of her frequent hospitalizations throughout her life. Which, if any, of these were helpful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the excerpts of the book written by Patty Duke's best friend and by her husband. What portrait do these excerpts paint of the actress and author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of psychotherapy in treating manic-depressive illness. How helpful is it?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)