|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In studies of twins where one identical twin had manic-depressive disorder, what is the percentage of cases where the other twin also developed it?
2. Who was Patty's first husband?
3. What is the one side effect that irritates Patty Duke in others, which she has not experienced from the drug?
4. What is the term for "mild ups and downs"?
5. The increased risk of developing a mood disorder from having a first-degree relative who also has a mood disorder is how many times that of someone without that history?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Patty experience her first manic episodes? What led up to this?
2. Why didn't Patty's husbands commit her to hospitals? What was her experience when she was institutionalized?
3. Discuss what cyclothymes is. How is this related to bipolar disorder?
4. What delusions did Patty Duke experience while manic?
5. What side effect of lithium causes a strong reaction to Patty Duke when hearing of it?
6. Describe Bipolar II.
7. Describe the three personality types discussed by Dr. Akiskal in Chapter 4.
8. How did Patty Duke feel when she was diagnosed bipolar?
9. What is Bipolar I? What are the symptoms?
10. Who was Patty Duke's mother? What was the cause of her depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different forms of manic-depressive illness detailed in the text. What are they, what are their symptoms, and how are they differentiated from one another?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Patty Duke's marriages. To whom was she married, when, and for how long? How many children does she have?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difficulty in diagnosing manic-depressive illness in conjunction with alcohol and substance abuse. How can these mimic one another?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)