|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Until what era was mental illness considered to be rooted in psychological trauma?
2. What is the name of the woman who, at the age of forty-five, relates her experiences in Chapter 2 in "Only One Mania" ?
3. What is the one side effect that irritates Patty Duke in others, which she has not experienced from the drug?
4. Who was the producer of The Patty Duke Show?
5. What is the term for "mild ups and downs"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what cyclothymes is. How is this related to bipolar disorder?
2. How did Patty Duke feel when she was diagnosed bipolar?
3. Discuss the study performed on the Amish regarding manic depression.
4. What did psychotherapy help Patty learn to deal with once she was stabilized with medication?
5. What does Patty remember of her mother as a child? Where was Patty relocated during her childhood?
6. Describe Bipolar II.
7. How can doctors distinguish between unipolar and bipolar depression?
8. Why didn't Patty's husbands commit her to hospitals? What was her experience when she was institutionalized?
9. What caused Patty's panic attacks as a child?
10. Who was Patty Duke's mother? What was the cause of her depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In examining a patient's family, what indicators point to the possibility of manic depression as a diagnosis?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the childhood of Patty Duke. What was her relationship to her parents? Who were Patty's "adoptive" parents and what was their role in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the excerpts of the book written by Patty Duke's best friend and by her husband. What portrait do these excerpts paint of the actress and author?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)