|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term for depressions which are a normal response to a major trauma?
2. Whose research states that of the unipolar depressives who commit suicide most will have visited their doctor within the month?
3. More than ten million people a year in the United States alone complain of symptoms of what?
4. What psychiatric hospital did Patty's first husband take her to in Los Angeles?
5. In a 1969-research project at Washington University in St. Louis, researchers found that in two families, everyone that was ______ was also manic-depressive.
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Patty's panic attacks as a child?
2. Who was Patty Duke's mother? What was the cause of her depression?
3. What delusions did Patty Duke experience while manic?
4. What are the similarities of manic depression and schizophrenia? What are the differences?
5. How did Patty approach her diagnosis with her children, given the genetic factors? What was their reaction?
6. When did Patty experience her first manic episodes? What led up to this?
7. What led up to the manic episode which led to Patty's first marriage?
8. When are patients typically diagnosed with bipolar depression?
9. What did psychotherapy help Patty learn to deal with once she was stabilized with medication?
10. Describe the three personality types discussed by Dr. Akiskal in Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different forms of manic-depressive illness detailed in the text. What are they, what are their symptoms, and how are they differentiated from one another?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the drug lithium. What are Patty Duke's experiences with the drug? How was it discovered? Where is it found in nature?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of genetics in diagnosing manic depression. What have scientists found to relate manic depression to a genetic link?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)