|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Patty was about 12, where was her mother living?
2. What is the name of the cemetery which Patty passed going to visit her mother where she always had panic attacks?
3. In 1985, Dr. Akiskal reported results of a study on how many children or younger siblings of adult bipolar patients?
4. Patty Duke did not recall having any manias before the age of what?
5. What is the name of the woman who, at the age of forty-five, relates her experiences in Chapter 2 in "Only One Mania" ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the psychiatrist and Patty disagree about regarding her manic "epiphany"?
2. What side effect of lithium causes a strong reaction to Patty Duke when hearing of it?
3. What "gift" does Patty Duke conclude she gained from her illness?
4. What led to Patty overcoming her fear of death?
5. When did Patty's symptoms appear in her life? What were they?
6. What would happen in the fights between John Astin and Patty?
7. What are the effects of dealing with a parent with manic depression?
8. What are the side effects associated with lithium?
9. What is the scientific analysis of the roots of manic depression in individuals?
10. How did Patty approach her diagnosis with her children, given the genetic factors? What was their reaction?
Essay Topic 1
What are the methods of diagnosing and treating children who are at risk or who show predisposition toward bipolar disorder?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the drug lithium. What are Patty Duke's experiences with the drug? How was it discovered? Where is it found in nature?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symptoms of manic-depressive illness listed early in the book. Is it possible to diagnose the disease based solely on a checklist? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)