|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the doctor at the hospital which Patty called "Grandpa"?
2. What is the name of the woman who, at the age of forty-five, relates her experiences in Chapter 2 in "Only One Mania" ?
3. How much older is Patty's brother than her?
4. What did Patty Duke's father call her as a child?
5. Patty Duke's panic attacks almost always revolved around what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do doctors say regarding environmental elements contributing to manic depression?
2. Why didn't Patty's husbands commit her to hospitals? What was her experience when she was institutionalized?
3. What delusions did Patty Duke experience while manic?
4. What caused Patty's panic attacks as a child?
5. Who was Patty Duke's mother? What was the cause of her depression?
6. How can doctors distinguish between unipolar and bipolar depression?
7. Describe Patty Duke's father.
8. When did Patty learn of the difficulties people face with the side effects of lithium? Has she suffered from them?
9. Discuss the study performed on the Amish regarding manic depression.
10. Discuss the genetic findings for manic-depressive illness.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the drug lithium. What are Patty Duke's experiences with the drug? How was it discovered? Where is it found in nature?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Patty Duke's descriptions of her frequent hospitalizations throughout her life. Which, if any, of these were helpful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the potential for relapses in bipolar patients. What can lead to relapses? How can patients avoid them? What treatment is typical in the case of relapses?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)