|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Patty Duke's mother was one of how many children?
2. What did Patty Duke begin collecting after starting to take lithium?
3. What is Patty's older sister's name?
4. Who was Patty's first husband?
5. What psychiatric hospital did Patty's first husband take her to in Los Angeles?
Short Essay Questions
1. When are patients typically diagnosed with bipolar depression?
2. What pressures did Patty put on herself in her family life? How did these lead to episodes?
3. What is unipolar depression? What are its symptoms?
4. Describe the three personality types discussed by Dr. Akiskal in Chapter 4.
5. What are the effects of dealing with a parent with manic depression?
6. How did Patty Duke feel when she was diagnosed bipolar?
7. What is Bipolar I? What are the symptoms?
8. When did Patty's symptoms appear in her life? What were they?
9. What led to Patty's depressions early in her marriage to John Astin?
10. What do doctors say regarding environmental elements contributing to manic depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theory of personality types and their predisposition toward manic-depressive illness. What are the types and how can they be indicators?
Essay Topic 2
What are the methods of diagnosing and treating children who are at risk or who show predisposition toward bipolar disorder?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss unipolar depression, its types, and its differences from bipolar depression. When is medication necessary, and what kind is used in treatment?
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)