|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Within how many weeks did lithium begin to work for Patty Duke?
2. How much older is Patty's brother than her?
3. What psychiatric hospital did Patty's first husband take her to in Los Angeles?
4. Who was Patty's first husband?
5. More than ten million people a year in the United States alone complain of symptoms of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Patty come to forgive her parents?
2. What is the scientific analysis of the roots of manic depression in individuals?
3. What side effect of lithium causes a strong reaction to Patty Duke when hearing of it?
4. Describe Patty Duke's father.
5. What does Patty believe is the contributor to her illness?
6. Discuss what cyclothymes is. How is this related to bipolar disorder?
7. What does Patty remember of her mother as a child? Where was Patty relocated during her childhood?
8. How did Patty approach her diagnosis with her children, given the genetic factors? What was their reaction?
9. Discuss Patty's experience with the Rosses.
10. What caused Patty's panic attacks as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Patty Duke's relationship with her children. How has this relationship evolved since her diagnosis?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different forms of manic-depressive illness detailed in the text. What are they, what are their symptoms, and how are they differentiated from one another?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symptoms of manic-depressive illness listed early in the book. Is it possible to diagnose the disease based solely on a checklist? Why or why not?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)