|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Patty's first husband?
2. How old was Patty's father when he died?
3. What is the name of Patty's oldest son?
4. What is Patty's older sister's name?
5. Chapter 1, Looking Backward is written in the style of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bipolar II.
2. When did Patty learn of the difficulties people face with the side effects of lithium? Has she suffered from them?
3. Discuss what cyclothymes is. How is this related to bipolar disorder?
4. What is the scientific analysis of the roots of manic depression in individuals?
5. Who was Patty Duke's mother? What was the cause of her depression?
6. What does Patty remember of her mother as a child? Where was Patty relocated during her childhood?
7. What caused Patty's panic attacks as a child?
8. How did Patty approach her diagnosis with her children, given the genetic factors? What was their reaction?
9. Discuss the study performed on the Amish regarding manic depression.
10. When are patients typically diagnosed with bipolar depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the excerpts of the book written by Patty Duke's best friend and by her husband. What portrait do these excerpts paint of the actress and author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss unipolar depression, its types, and its differences from bipolar depression. When is medication necessary, and what kind is used in treatment?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of psychotherapy in treating manic-depressive illness. How helpful is it?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)