Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr Elliot Gershon says that manic-depressive illness may have something to do with ________.
2. What is the term for depressions which are a normal response to a major trauma?
3. Patty Duke did not recall having any manias before the age of what?
4. Who is the Bipolar II woman from Chicago who says she wishes she could bottle her mania?
5. What is the term for patients whose mood changes collide with one another, from month to month, day to day, sometimes even within the same day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the concert presented by Dr. Kay Redfield Jamison. Who was featured?
2. What did psychotherapy help Patty learn to deal with once she was stabilized with medication?
3. Where does Patty Duke live today? How does she feel about her life?
4. What caused Patty's panic attacks as a child?
5. What was Patty's experience like in making <i>Call Me Anna</i>?
6. Discuss what cyclothymes is. How is this related to bipolar disorder?
7. What led to Patty's depressions early in her marriage to John Astin?
8. Describe Patty Duke's father.
9. Who was Patty Duke's mother? What was the cause of her depression?
10. What can be the result of siblings coping with someone with manic depression?
Essay Topic 1
What are the methods of diagnosing and treating children who are at risk or who show predisposition toward bipolar disorder?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the childhood of Patty Duke. What was her relationship to her parents? Who were Patty's "adoptive" parents and what was their role in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symptoms of manic-depressive illness listed early in the book. Is it possible to diagnose the disease based solely on a checklist? Why or why not?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)