|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Patty was about 12, where was her mother living?
2. How many genes does a person have?
3. How did Patty Duke feel when she was diagnosed with manic depressive illness?
4. What did "Grandpa Duke" do for a living?
5. Who is the Bipolar II woman from Chicago who says she wishes she could bottle her mania?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Patty Duke feel when she was diagnosed bipolar?
2. What is unipolar depression? What are its symptoms?
3. When did Patty's symptoms appear in her life? What were they?
4. What side effect of lithium causes a strong reaction to Patty Duke when hearing of it?
5. Describe Bipolar II.
6. What is Bipolar I? What are the symptoms?
7. Describe the three personality types discussed by Dr. Akiskal in Chapter 4.
8. Discuss the study performed on the Amish regarding manic depression.
9. What does Patty remember of her mother as a child? Where was Patty relocated during her childhood?
10. When did Patty experience her first manic episodes? What led up to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Patty Duke's descriptions of her frequent hospitalizations throughout her life. Which, if any, of these were helpful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the spectrum of drugs other than lithium which are used in the treatment of manic-depressive illness.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the excerpts of the book written by Patty Duke's best friend and by her husband. What portrait do these excerpts paint of the actress and author?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)