|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Armenian-born psychiatrist dedicated to studying personality and mood disorders who is referred to in Chapter 2?
2. Within how many weeks did lithium begin to work for Patty Duke?
3. How much older is Patty's sister than her?
4. When was Patty's mother diagnosed with unipolar depression?
5. How much older is Patty's brother than her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Patty remember of her mother as a child? Where was Patty relocated during her childhood?
2. What is unipolar depression? What are its symptoms?
3. Describe the three personality types discussed by Dr. Akiskal in Chapter 4.
4. Discuss the genetic findings for manic-depressive illness.
5. Why didn't Patty's husbands commit her to hospitals? What was her experience when she was institutionalized?
6. What are the similarities of manic depression and schizophrenia? What are the differences?
7. What does Patty believe is the contributor to her illness?
8. What delusions did Patty Duke experience while manic?
9. What is the scientific analysis of the roots of manic depression in individuals?
10. What did psychotherapy help Patty learn to deal with once she was stabilized with medication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different forms of manic-depressive illness detailed in the text. What are they, what are their symptoms, and how are they differentiated from one another?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Patty Duke's relationship with her children. How has this relationship evolved since her diagnosis?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Patty Duke's descriptions of her frequent hospitalizations throughout her life. Which, if any, of these were helpful?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)