|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What door did Patty begin keeping open to prove to her sons that she had changed?
2. From what form of bipolar illness does Patty Duke suffer?
3. In what person is Chapter 1 written?
4. Patty Duke's panic attacks almost always revolved around what?
5. For how many years did Patty Duke suffer severely with her illness before she was finally diagnosed as manic depressive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Patty Duke's father.
2. Discuss the study performed on the Amish regarding manic depression.
3. When did Patty learn of the difficulties people face with the side effects of lithium? Has she suffered from them?
4. Describe Bipolar II.
5. When are patients typically diagnosed with bipolar depression?
6. Discuss what cyclothymes is. How is this related to bipolar disorder?
7. What caused Patty's panic attacks as a child?
8. Discuss Patty's experience with the Rosses.
9. How can doctors distinguish between unipolar and bipolar depression?
10. What does Patty remember of her mother as a child? Where was Patty relocated during her childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symptoms of manic-depressive illness listed early in the book. Is it possible to diagnose the disease based solely on a checklist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Patty Duke's relationship with her children. How has this relationship evolved since her diagnosis?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Patty Duke's marriages. To whom was she married, when, and for how long? How many children does she have?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)