|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr Elliot Gershon says that manic-depressive illness may have something to do with ________.
2. Where was Patty's second and longest hospitalization?
3. What is the name of the forty-two-year-old mother of two who voluntarily participated in the study for winter depression?
4. How much older is Patty's sister than her?
5. Whose research states that of the unipolar depressives who commit suicide most will have visited their doctor within the month?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scientific analysis of the roots of manic depression in individuals?
2. When are patients typically diagnosed with bipolar depression?
3. Describe the three personality types discussed by Dr. Akiskal in Chapter 4.
4. How did Patty Duke feel when she was diagnosed bipolar?
5. Discuss what cyclothymes is. How is this related to bipolar disorder?
6. How did Patty approach her diagnosis with her children, given the genetic factors? What was their reaction?
7. What caused Patty's panic attacks as a child?
8. What are the similarities of manic depression and schizophrenia? What are the differences?
9. What does Patty remember of her mother as a child? Where was Patty relocated during her childhood?
10. What led up to the manic episode which led to Patty's first marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Patty Duke's relationship with her children. How has this relationship evolved since her diagnosis?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theory of personality types and their predisposition toward manic-depressive illness. What are the types and how can they be indicators?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of psychotherapy in treating manic-depressive illness. How helpful is it?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)