|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cemetery which Patty passed going to visit her mother where she always had panic attacks?
2. Patty Duke has suffered episodes of mania as well as depression since her late teens but did not know the name of her illness until she was how old?
3. Dr Elliot Gershon says that manic-depressive illness may have something to do with ________.
4. Who was the couple who managed Patty Duke as a child?
5. What kind of hat did Patty's father almost always wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Patty Duke's father.
2. When did Patty experience her first manic episodes? What led up to this?
3. What does Patty believe is the contributor to her illness?
4. How did Patty Duke feel when she was diagnosed bipolar?
5. How can doctors distinguish between unipolar and bipolar depression?
6. Describe Bipolar II.
7. Discuss the genetic findings for manic-depressive illness.
8. Why didn't Patty's husbands commit her to hospitals? What was her experience when she was institutionalized?
9. When did Patty's symptoms appear in her life? What were they?
10. Who was Patty Duke's mother? What was the cause of her depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the excerpts of the book written by Patty Duke's best friend and by her husband. What portrait do these excerpts paint of the actress and author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of genetics in diagnosing manic depression. What have scientists found to relate manic depression to a genetic link?
Essay Topic 3
What are the methods of diagnosing and treating children who are at risk or who show predisposition toward bipolar disorder?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)