|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time the book was written, the Amish study was continuing covering how many subjects from 11 families?
2. Who was the couple who managed Patty Duke as a child?
3. In a study in Belgium, what percent of birth parents whose adopted children had manic depression had a history of mood disorders?
4. Patty Duke has suffered episodes of mania as well as depression since her late teens but did not know the name of her illness until she was how old?
5. How old was Patty when her father died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the study performed on the Amish regarding manic depression.
2. What does Patty believe is the contributor to her illness?
3. How can doctors distinguish between unipolar and bipolar depression?
4. What side effect of lithium causes a strong reaction to Patty Duke when hearing of it?
5. What do doctors say regarding environmental elements contributing to manic depression?
6. What did psychotherapy help Patty learn to deal with once she was stabilized with medication?
7. What led up to the manic episode which led to Patty's first marriage?
8. When did Patty's symptoms appear in her life? What were they?
9. How did Patty come to forgive her parents?
10. Who was Patty Duke's mother? What was the cause of her depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of psychotherapy in treating manic-depressive illness. How helpful is it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the potential for relapses in bipolar patients. What can lead to relapses? How can patients avoid them? What treatment is typical in the case of relapses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Patty Duke's marriages. To whom was she married, when, and for how long? How many children does she have?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)