|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Patty's brother's name?
2. Who is the assistant professor of psychiatry at McLean Hospital at Harvard medical school?
3. What is the name of Patty's oldest son?
4. The increased risk of developing a mood disorder from having a first-degree relative who also has a mood disorder is how many times that of someone without that history?
5. In a study in Belgium, among the adoptive parents of bipolar adoptees, the prevalence in mental illness was what percent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the study performed on the Amish regarding manic depression.
2. What is Bipolar I? What are the symptoms?
3. How can doctors distinguish between unipolar and bipolar depression?
4. What do doctors say regarding environmental elements contributing to manic depression?
5. What is Patty Duke's experience with psychotherapy?
6. Discuss what cyclothymes is. How is this related to bipolar disorder?
7. What side effect of lithium causes a strong reaction to Patty Duke when hearing of it?
8. What is unipolar depression? What are its symptoms?
9. Who was Patty Duke's mother? What was the cause of her depression?
10. What are the similarities of manic depression and schizophrenia? What are the differences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the childhood of Patty Duke. What was her relationship to her parents? Who were Patty's "adoptive" parents and what was their role in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theory of personality types and their predisposition toward manic-depressive illness. What are the types and how can they be indicators?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difficulty in diagnosing manic-depressive illness in conjunction with alcohol and substance abuse. How can these mimic one another?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)