|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older is Patty's brother than her?
2. Patty Duke says that one of the few, slight side effects she gets from the lithium is what?
3. What is the name of the third book Patty is writing and says she's doing research for?
4. What was the way Patty attempted suicide the majority of the times?
5. Who was the sister who raised Patty Duke's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What delusions did Patty Duke experience while manic?
2. Describe the three personality types discussed by Dr. Akiskal in Chapter 4.
3. Discuss what cyclothymes is. How is this related to bipolar disorder?
4. Discuss the genetic findings for manic-depressive illness.
5. What does Patty believe is the contributor to her illness?
6. What led up to the manic episode which led to Patty's first marriage?
7. How can doctors distinguish between unipolar and bipolar depression?
8. How did Patty Duke feel when she was diagnosed bipolar?
9. Discuss the study performed on the Amish regarding manic depression.
10. What side effect of lithium causes a strong reaction to Patty Duke when hearing of it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the childhood of Patty Duke. What was her relationship to her parents? Who were Patty's "adoptive" parents and what was their role in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the potential for relapses in bipolar patients. What can lead to relapses? How can patients avoid them? What treatment is typical in the case of relapses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss schizophrenia. What are the origins of schizophrenia? How can it resemble manic depression? How does it differ?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)