|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Researchers in Washington D.C. were studying how many patients whose depressions started in the spring and ended in the fall?
2. Patty Duke did not recall having any manias before the age of what?
3. Who was the producer of <i>The Patty Duke Show</i>?
4. How old was Patty when her father died?
5. Duke writes in Chapter 1 that as her episodes increased with frequency they also increased with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Patty's marital/family situation today?
2. What led to Patty overcoming her fear of death?
3. How did Patty's behavior change after her medication and diagnosis?
4. What would happen in the fights between John Astin and Patty?
5. What are the effects of dealing with a parent with manic depression?
6. Why didn't Patty's husbands commit her to hospitals? What was her experience when she was institutionalized?
7. What did making <i>Call Me Anna</i> cause Patty to see about manic depression and its effects on acting?
8. Discuss anticonvulsants and neuroleptics.
9. What are the side effects associated with lithium?
10. Discuss Patty's experience with the Rosses.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Patty Duke's descriptions of her frequent hospitalizations throughout her life. Which, if any, of these were helpful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symptoms of manic-depressive illness listed early in the book. Is it possible to diagnose the disease based solely on a checklist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the unique style in which A Brilliant Madness is written. What about this style lends a different perspective to the study of manic-depressive illness?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)