|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Bipolar II woman from Chicago who says she wishes she could bottle her mania?
2. What is the term for "mild ups and downs"?
3. Who is the director of the U.S. Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration referred to in Chapter 2?
4. Duke writes in Chapter 1 that as her episodes increased with frequency they also increased with what?
5. More than ten million people a year in the United States alone complain of symptoms of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Patty's symptoms appear in her life? What were they?
2. What led up to the manic episode which led to Patty's first marriage?
3. Who was Patty Duke's mother? What was the cause of her depression?
4. What is the scientific analysis of the roots of manic depression in individuals?
5. Describe Patty Duke's father.
6. What does Patty believe is the contributor to her illness?
7. When are patients typically diagnosed with bipolar depression?
8. How can doctors distinguish between unipolar and bipolar depression?
9. What are the similarities of manic depression and schizophrenia? What are the differences?
10. Discuss what cyclothymes is. How is this related to bipolar disorder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symptoms of manic-depressive illness listed early in the book. Is it possible to diagnose the disease based solely on a checklist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Patty Duke's descriptions of her frequent hospitalizations throughout her life. Which, if any, of these were helpful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theory of personality types and their predisposition toward manic-depressive illness. What are the types and how can they be indicators?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)