|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Patty Duke play in The Miracle Worker?
(a) Elizabeth I.
(b) Helen Keller.
(c) Susan B. Anthony.
(d) Sylvia Plath.
2. Who was John Astin's 12-year-old son who came to live with him and Patty?
3. What is one indicator of oncoming manias?
(a) Fevers and sweats.
(c) Decreased sex drive.
(d) Increased sex drive.
4. "Even when there are little to no side effects, anywhere from ___ to ___ percent of people stop taking their lithium."
(a) 10 to 25.
(b) 20 to 30.
(c) 50 to 60.
(d) 40 to 50.
5. In "A Marriage that Shattered," who is married to Larry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who heads the Foundation for Depression and Manic Depression in New York's Upper East Side?
2. Who was the director of the television movie Patty Duke made about her illness?
3. Who, along with Rose Kurland, founded the Depressive and Manic-Depressive Association?
4. What often happens to families in which there is a manic-depressive child?
5. When were monoamine oxidase inhibitors ushered into the antidepressant era?
Short Essay Questions
1. What pressures did Patty put on herself in her family life? How did these lead to episodes?
2. What is the argument regarding treatment for the creative manic depressant?
3. What led to Patty overcoming her fear of death?
4. What did the psychiatrist and Patty disagree about regarding her manic "epiphany"?
5. Describe the concert presented by Dr. Kay Redfield Jamison. Who was featured?
6. Discuss anticonvulsants and neuroleptics.
7. What did making Call Me Anna cause Patty to see about manic depression and its effects on acting?
8. Discuss alcoholism and writers as discussed in the text.
9. Discuss the effects of parents who pass on manic-depression to their children.
10. What are the side effects associated with lithium?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)