|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the mother of Ellen, who in high school developed manic depression?
2. In the story about siblings dealing with manic depression, who is Judd's sister?
3. The doctor who discovered lithium's effects on mania originally suspected that what was the culprit for the disease?
4. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors fell out of favor because they induced what?
(c) High blood pressure.
5. Where do Patty's sister and her husband live?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't John work as a screenwriter during one period of Patty's marriage?
2. What did Patty often throw during her manic episodes?
3. How many people were present at the first reading of the script of Patty's television movie?
4. Who did Patty Duke play in The Miracle Worker?
5. What often happens to families in which there is a manic-depressive child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the correlation between CEOs and manic depression?
2. What "gift" does Patty Duke conclude she gained from her illness?
3. In Chapter 10, the relationships between spouses with manic depression are discussed. Describe these.
4. What led to Patty overcoming her fear of death?
5. What would happen in the fights between John Astin and Patty?
6. What is lithium? How did it come to be discovered?
7. Discuss the effects of parents who pass on manic-depression to their children.
8. Discuss anticonvulsants and neuroleptics.
9. What pressures did Patty put on herself in her family life? How did these lead to episodes?
10. What is Patty's biggest regret about her behavior before she was diagnosed?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)