|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Researchers in Washington D.C. were studying how many patients whose depressions started in the spring and ended in the fall?
2. When was Patty Duke's first big, public manic episode?
3. More than ten million people a year in the United States alone complain of symptoms of what?
(a) Bipolar depression.
(c) Reactive depression.
(d) Unipolar depression.
4. What is the name of the forty-two-year-old mother of two who voluntarily participated in the study for winter depression?
5. What is the name of the doctor at the hospital which Patty called "Grandpa"?
(a) Jack Lomas.
(b) Michael McAndrew.
(c) Gerald Kimble.
(d) Richard Hillburrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "Grandpa Duke" do for a living?
2. How old was Patty Duke when she was writing the book?
3. For how many years did Patty Duke suffer severely with her illness before she was finally diagnosed as manic depressive?
4. Patty Duke did not recall having any manias before the age of what?
5. In a study in Belgium, what percent of birth parents whose adopted children had manic depression had a history of mood disorders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bipolar I? What are the symptoms?
2. What is Patty Duke's experience with psychotherapy?
3. When did Patty experience her first manic episodes? What led up to this?
4. How did Patty approach her diagnosis with her children, given the genetic factors? What was their reaction?
5. How can doctors distinguish between unipolar and bipolar depression?
6. Describe the three personality types discussed by Dr. Akiskal in Chapter 4.
7. Discuss the study performed on the Amish regarding manic depression.
8. When are patients typically diagnosed with bipolar depression?
9. Who was Patty Duke's mother? What was the cause of her depression?
10. When did Patty's symptoms appear in her life? What were they?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)