|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Patty Duke feel when she was diagnosed with manic depressive illness?
2. Who was the couple who managed Patty Duke as a child?
(a) The Gardners.
(b) The Steiners.
(c) The Fitzmaurices.
(d) The Rosses.
3. What is Patty Duke's mother's name?
4. What is the term for patients whose mood changes collide with one another, from month to month, day to day, sometimes even within the same day?
(a) Rapid cyclers.
(d) Frequency bipolars.
5. When was Patty Duke's first big, public manic episode?
6. Like manic-depressive illness, _______ usually begins late in adolescence and early adulthood and shares similar full-blown psychotic symptoms.
(a) Borderline personality disorder.
(d) Unipolar depression.
7. Who is the 35-year-old artist used as an example in the section of Bipolar II?
8. Patty Duke has suffered episodes of mania as well as depression since her late teens but did not know the name of her illness until she was how old?
9. Who is the director of the U.S. Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration referred to in Chapter 2?
(a) Dr. Frederick K. Goodwin.
(b) Dr. Frederick Wolverton.
(c) Dr. Emily Franklin.
(d) Dr. Doris H. Rosenfeld.
10. In what person is Chapter 1 written?
(a) Fourth person.
(b) Third person.
(c) First person.
(d) Second person.
11. Who is the Armenian-born psychiatrist dedicated to studying personality and mood disorders who is referred to in Chapter 2?
(a) Dr. Aing Skanil.
(b) Dr. Hagop S. Akiskal.
(c) Dr. Sarah Adkinson.
(d) Dr. Steven Balantzian.
12. What did "Grandpa Duke" do for a living?
(a) He was a cab driver.
(b) He was an engineer.
(c) He was a mechanic.
(d) He was a bartender.
13. In a study in Belgium, what percent of birth parents whose adopted children had manic depression had a history of mood disorders?
14. Until what era was mental illness considered to be rooted in psychological trauma?
15. What did Patty Duke begin collecting after starting to take lithium?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the assistant professor of psychiatry at McLean Hospital at Harvard medical school?
2. What did Patty Duke's father call her as a child?
3. When was Patty's mother diagnosed with unipolar depression?
4. What percentage of unipolar depressives will eventually commit suicide?
5. Researchers believe that there is a link between the gene which may pass along traits of manic-depressive illness and what chromosome?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)