|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As she and Pinkie go to the Cosmopolitan in Part 6, Chapter 2, what does she tell him she is bringing from her old life?
2. In order to get the truth, who does Ida tell Phil they need to find in Part 5, Chapter 6?
3. What time of day does Part 7, Chapter 5 begin?
4. What does Phil ask Ida to do in Part 7, Chapter 6?
5. Which one of the following does Rose tell Pinkie in Part 5, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Crab explain Colleoni's hiring procedures to Cubitt?
2. What note does Pinkie find from Rose and what does he do with it?
3. How do Pinkie and Dallow respond to Colleoni's offer in Part 7, Chapter 5?
4. Where do Pinkie and Rose seek shelter after their marriage and how does Pinkie record a message for Rose?
5. What is Rose's response when Pinkie informs her of his doubt about their marriage?
6. Which warnings does Ida give to Rose during their conversation in Part 4, Chapter 2?
7. What is Cubitt's reaction to Pinkie's admission to killing Spicer?
8. Why is Pinkie becoming more aggressive and paranoid in Part 5, Chapter 1?
9. Why does Pinkie visit Mr. Prewitt in Part 7, Chapter 3?
10. What assurance does Rose give to Pinkie in Part 7, Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of imagery in literature, including three examples of imagery in the book, and the effect they have in supporting the scenes, the moods of the characters, and their surroundings.
Essay Topic 2
Define in detail the impact of irony in literature along with how it is used in fiction. Include three examples of irony in Brighton Rock and an analysis of how effective each example is.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the idea of fear in the story, specifically, the effect it has on Pinkie as the plot develops. Include examples of what Pinkie fears the most, why he has these fears, and how they manifest.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)