|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Pinkie find the note from Rose in his coat pocket?
2. Where does Cubitt drink in Part 6, Chapter 1?
3. Which drink are Ida and Phil having in Part 7, Chapter 6?
4. Where does Crab go after talking to Cubitt?
5. Eventually, how much does Pinkie secure the permission to marry Rose for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Pinkie and Rose seek shelter after their marriage and how does Pinkie record a message for Rose?
2. What is Rose's response when Pinkie informs her of his doubt about their marriage?
3. Why does Pinkie visit Mr. Prewitt in Part 7, Chapter 3?
4. What does Ida tell Rose in Part 7, Chapter 1, and how does she respond?
5. What information does Ida receive from Cubitt during their conversation?
6. Where and how does Pinkie tell Rose about his plan in Part 7, Chapter 7?
7. What does Ida tell Phil about her adventure in Part 7, Chapter 6?
8. How does Ida have the chance to talk with Rose in Part 4, Chapter 2?
9. How is Cubitt described in Part 6, Chapter 1?
10. What is Cubitt's reaction to Pinkie's admission to killing Spicer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pinkie and Colleoni have two very different styles of leadership.
1) Describe the events that caused Pinkie to become the leader of a gang in Brighton.
2) Explain Colleoni's situation and what he is trying to do in Brighton.
3) Analyze the differences between Pinkie and Colleoni as gang leaders, their view of each other, the two offers that Colleoni makes to Pinkie, and his responses.
Essay Topic 2
The ending of Brighton Rock could be considered a surprise because of Rose's plan to listen to the record.
1) Describe three examples of how the element of surprise is used in Brighton Rock.
2) Explain some of the possible reasons why Greene might have decided to end the book in an unexpected way.
3) Analyze the effectiveness of the ending and whether or not you think it adds to or diminishes the story.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of good vs. evil as a major theme in Brighton Rock, including examples from the book of how each main character considers the opposing sides, and an explanation of your opinion about how good is ultimately successful.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)