|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pinkie talk to Spicer at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1?
2. Revealed during his conversation with Colleoni in Part 2, Chapter 2, how old is Pinkie?
3. What is Hale leaving around the town of Brighton in Chapter 1?
4. How many days have the races been taking place when Part 4, Chapter 1 starts?
5. Why does Ida decide to find Fred's killer at the end of Part 1, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. As it is revealed in Part 2, Chapter 1, how was Kite, Pinkie's former gang leader, killed?
2. What two surprises are waiting for Pinkie and Spicer at the track in Part 4, Chapter 1?
3. How does Pinkie respond to Spicer's warning about the mob's participation in more killings in Part 2, Chapter 1?
4. How does Pinkie explain the ambush on Spicer at the track to Cubitt?
5. What happens to upset Pinkie even more after he is released from the police's custody in Part 3, Chapter 3?
6. What illnesses does Spicer have in Part 3, Chapter 2, and how does he find out about Pinkie's arrest?
7. According to Mr. Prewitt, what stipulations will need to be worked out before Pinkie and Rose can be married?
8. Where does Hale's first encounter with the boy at Brighton take place and what happens?
9. What happens when Ida revisits the pier where Hale was last seen?
10. What happens when Hale and Ida meet again on the boardwalk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of good vs. evil as a major theme in Brighton Rock, including examples from the book of how each main character considers the opposing sides, and an explanation of your opinion about how good is ultimately successful.
Essay Topic 2
The marriage between Pinkie and Rose is a major turning point in the story.
1) Describe how marriage is viewed by both Pinkie and Rose individually.
2) Explain any similarities or differences in how Pinkie and Rose approach the marriage.
3) Analyze how Pinkie and Rose change after the marriage and the general view of marriage that is presented in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the various members of Pinkie's gang, why they are similar or different, how they differ from Pinkie, and which members are the most significant to the plot.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)