|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Hale supposed to react when he is recognized during the scavenger hunt contest?
2. What name does the paper use when reporting about Hale in Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. When would the British paper that Hale works for typically sponsor their "scavenger hunts"?
4. Which one of the following best describes the ordering process of Rose and Pinkie at the restaurant in Part 2, Chapter 1?
5. What does the manageress tell Pinkie and Rose in Part 4, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which options does Spicer think about after receiving Rose's telephone call in Part 3, Chapter 2?
2. How does Pinkie get arrested at the end of Part 2, Chapter 2?
3. Where does Hale's first encounter with the boy at Brighton take place and what happens?
4. What is Rose's opinion of Ida as she describes her for Pinkie in Part 3, Chapter 3?
5. What happens when Hale and Ida meet again on the boardwalk?
6. What two surprises are waiting for Pinkie and Spicer at the track in Part 4, Chapter 1?
7. What do Ida and Tate talk about in Part 3, Chapter 1?
8. How does Pinkie convince Spicer to accompany him to the track the next day in Part 3, Chapter 4?
9. Which confusion is there about Hale's name, and how does Ida react to it?
10. What do Pinkie and his gang discuss in Part 1, Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the story develops, Pinkie loses more and more control until he reaches a point where it appears that there is nothing left for him.
1) Describe why control might be so important to Pinkie's character.
2) Explain four instances where Pinkie displays a loss of control, and what it represents for the situation he is in.
3) Analyze Pinkie's attempts to control others and his situations, and why the attempts backfire.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss all aspects of the theme of right and wrong in Brighton Rock, including three examples from the book of how the theme is applied to the main characters and the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of imagery in literature, including three examples of imagery in the book, and the effect they have in supporting the scenes, the moods of the characters, and their surroundings.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)