|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does the photographer reply to Pinkie's request for the prints of Spicer in Part 3, Chapter 3?
2. When does Hale arrive at the pub in Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. Where do Pinkie and Rose go in Part 3, Chapter 3?
4. What does Moyne ask Ida for as she is going to talk to Molly?
5. What does Ida recall about the previous night in Part 3, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Pinkie and Dallow visit Brewer, and what takes place there?
2. Which options does Spicer think about after receiving Rose's telephone call in Part 3, Chapter 2?
3. What two surprises are waiting for Pinkie and Spicer at the track in Part 4, Chapter 1?
4. What happens during Pinkie and Rose's date in Part 2, Chapter 1?
5. How does Ida find out about Hale's death?
6. What do Pinkie and Colleoni discuss at the Cosmopolitan in Chapter 2, Part 2?
7. What do Ida and Tate talk about in Part 3, Chapter 1?
8. How does Hale disappear at the end of Part 1, Chapter 1?
9. How is Ida introduced in Part 1, Chapter 1?
10. How does Ida react to seeing Hale's police file?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the worlds of Ida and Pinkie, including an analysis of their situations and supporters, the paths they have taken, and examples of the effect that their decisions have had on the story.
Essay Topic 2
Greene's approach to a murder mystery influences the type of novel that Brighton Rock is.
1) Describe the techniques used in the beginning of the book to introduce the characters and the main plot.
2) Explain the effect that the structure of the book has on the story itself.
3) Analyze Greene's writing style, its effectiveness, and the possible reasons for his approach.
Essay Topic 3
Define in detail the impact of irony in literature along with how it is used in fiction. Include three examples of irony in Brighton Rock and an analysis of how effective each example is.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)