|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does the photographer reply to Pinkie's request for the prints of Spicer in Part 3, Chapter 3?
2. What does the manageress tell Pinkie and Rose in Part 4, Chapter 1?
3. How does Rose describe Ida's lifestyle to Pinkie?
4. What do Ida and Phil have with their lunch in Part 3, Chapter 1?
5. What condition are Ida and Phil in when they arrive at the police station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Pinkie and Colleoni discuss at the Cosmopolitan in Chapter 2, Part 2?
2. What two surprises are waiting for Pinkie and Spicer at the track in Part 4, Chapter 1?
3. What condition is Ida in when she wakes up in Part 3, Chapter 1?
4. What illnesses does Spicer have in Part 3, Chapter 2, and how does he find out about Pinkie's arrest?
5. What does Pinkie do when he gets to Snow's restaurant in Part 1, Chapter 3?
6. How does Pinkie get arrested at the end of Part 2, Chapter 2?
7. How does Ida find out about Hale's death?
8. How does Hale disappear at the end of Part 1, Chapter 1?
9. According to Mr. Prewitt, what stipulations will need to be worked out before Pinkie and Rose can be married?
10. As it is revealed in Part 2, Chapter 1, how was Kite, Pinkie's former gang leader, killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the concept of loyalty with people, life, and how it is applied to literary characters. In addition, provide three examples of loyalty, its value in the story, and the influence it has on Pinkie's last decision.
Essay Topic 2
Explain three examples of how drinking is depicted in the book, the messages Greene might be trying to deliver with it, and which characters are involved with drinking the most and why.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of symbols in the novel that represent the characters and their situations.
1) Describe the reasons why symbolism is an effective technique for a mystery novel.
2) Explain three examples of symbolism in Brighton Rock.
3) Analyze the points that Green is attempting to make with the symbols.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)