|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On her way to the restaurant, which horse does Ida place a bet for when she encounters the bookie, Tate?
(a) The horse that Hale was going to bet on.
(b) The horse that no one was betting on.
(c) The horse that everyone was betting on.
(d) The horse that Hale told her about.
2. According to the rules of the scavenger hunt, where does Hale travel until he is recognized by a reader?
(a) Brighton and the towns next to it.
(b) Only Brighton and one other town.
(c) Brighton and other resort towns.
(d) Only Brighton.
3. What does Pinkie tell Rose about Hale on the way to dinner?
(a) He did not know any dangerous people.
(b) He was a very smart person.
(c) He was not a smart person.
(d) He knew dangerous people.
4. Where does Rose attempt to help Pinkie in Part 4, Chapter 1?
(a) The wine cellar.
(b) The tea room.
(c) The pier.
(d) The alley.
5. Why do Pinkie and Rose choose to sit and listen to music at the restaurant?
(a) Rose likes to dance, but not to the song playing.
(b) Pinkie does not like to dance.
(c) Rose does not like to dance.
(d) Pinkie likes to dance, but not to the song playing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman at the pub doing when Hale arrives in Part 1, Chapter 1?
2. What was Spicer's job in the murder of Hale?
3. What name does the paper use when reporting about Hale in Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. Which one of the following best describes the ordering process of Rose and Pinkie at the restaurant in Part 2, Chapter 1?
5. What is Pinkie doing after being released from police custody in Part 3, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Mr. Prewitt, what stipulations will need to be worked out before Pinkie and Rose can be married?
2. Why is Pinkie upset with himself in Part 4, Chapter 2, and how does Rose try to help him?
3. What happens when Hale and Ida meet again on the boardwalk?
4. Where does Hale's first encounter with the boy at Brighton take place and what happens?
5. What do Pinkie and Colleoni discuss at the Cosmopolitan in Chapter 2, Part 2?
6. What do Ida and Tate talk about in Part 3, Chapter 1?
7. How does Pinkie convince Spicer to accompany him to the track the next day in Part 3, Chapter 4?
8. What do Pinkie and his gang discuss in Part 1, Chapter 2?
9. As it is revealed in Part 2, Chapter 1, how was Kite, Pinkie's former gang leader, killed?
10. What happens during Pinkie and Rose's date in Part 2, Chapter 1?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)