|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does the narrator give to the greeter?
2. What phrase does Wade want on the narrator's epitaph?
3. What does the narrator smell on his way home, through his nose-bleed?
4. What is the narrator's punishment for failing in his duty?
5. Where does Tad claim to have seen Odysseus before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does Michael offer to the narrator, and what are the implications of this job?
2. Why does the narrator go to the party with Tad?
3. Why does the narrator call Vicky after the party?
4. What catalysts are responsible for the narrator rising early, reading the paper, and arriving on time to work?
5. What does the reader learn about Megan's past?
6. What kind of relationship did the narrator have with his mother?
7. Explain Vicky's concept of "ineffability."
8. Why does the narrator opt to take Megan's valium?
9. What stunt is the narrator planning to pull at the fashion show?
10. What exhibit in the museum is the narrator's favorite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrator and his mother.
1) Why does Michael resent that the narrator came only days before their mother died? Why did the narrator stay away so long?
2) What does the narrator's mother reveal to him on her deathbed? How does this experience affect the narrator?
3) Why does the narrator think he has reacted so badly to Amanda's leaving?
Essay Topic 2
Do a character analysis of Clara Tillinghast. Include:
1) Her professional background.
2) Her attitude toward the narrator, both past and present.
Describe the scene where she fires the narrator. How does she react when he essentially steals her thunder? Does she get angrier that he is not upset?
Essay Topic 3
Though brothers, the narrator and Michael are very different people. Compare and contrast Michael and the narrator, focusing specifically on their careers and stations in life. Why are they resentful toward one another? Why has Michael come to New York? Why has the narrator stayed away from home?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)