|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have they resolved to leave in Clara's office?
(a) Fred, the ferret.
(b) Rolls and rolls of toilet paper.
(c) A bunch of balloons.
(d) A large pile of cocaine.
2. What does the narrator do when he sees his visitor?
(a) He runs away and ducks into a train.
(b) He faints on the spot.
(c) He runs up to the person and give them a hug.
(d) He pushes them away from his door.
3. What item does he steal from the man at the bar?
(a) A briefcase.
(b) A vodka martini.
(c) A set of car keys.
(d) A business card.
4. What is one subject that the narrator and his mother talk about?
(a) They talk about the Patriot's season.
(b) They talk about the narrator's sex life.
(c) They talk about her future grandchildren.
(d) They talk about New York City subways.
5. Why has Michael come to get the narrator?
(a) Their father has died unexpectedly.
(b) The narrator owes Michael money.
(c) He is getting married the next day and the narrator is the best man.
(d) The next day is the anniversary of their mother's death.
6. What plans with Megan has the narrator forgotten?
(a) He has forgotten their dinner reservation.
(b) He has forgotten their elopement.
(c) He has forgotten their lunch date.
(d) He has forgotten their movie night.
7. What does the narrator's mother reveal about the narrator as a baby?
(a) He was a horribly difficult baby.
(b) His eyes changed color when he was very young.
(c) He was a very quiet and well-behaved baby.
(d) He was partially deaf when he was born.
8. According to Megan, what was the only coherent thing Alex said when he was discovered?
(a) Facts wait for no man.
(b) One more martini, please.
(c) Bright lights, big city.
(d) He was being attacked by pygmies.
9. How does the narrator's mother describe the pain she is in?
(a) She likens it to going to the dentist.
(b) She likens it to having a sunburn.
(c) She likens it to a broken arm.
(d) She likens it to the pain she felt during the narrator's birth.
10. What does the narrator discover is missing from the department store window?
(a) His favorite clothing ad.
(b) The article about the magazine.
(c) Amanda's mannequin.
(d) Megan's commercial.
11. What does the narrator offer to trade with the man?
(a) He offers cocaine.
(b) He offers to wash dishes.
(c) He offers to trade his sunglasses.
(d) He offers his shoes.
12. Why doesn't Megan live with her family?
(a) She cannot afford to travel home.
(b) Her family died in a car accident.
(c) They had a falling-out and have not spoken for years.
(d) She was ill for a long time and committed to Bellevue.
13. Who does the narrator receive a phone call from after finishing the last of the drugs as Michael sleeps?
(a) Tad Allagash.
(b) Amanda White.
(c) Clara Tillinghast.
(d) His father.
14. What does he purchase on the street after leaving the office?
(a) He purchases a diamond ring for Megan.
(b) He purchases what he hopes is cocaine.
(c) He purchases a new wallet.
(d) He purchases a hot dog from a vendor.
15. What does the narrator discover in an envelope in his desk?
(a) Amanda's picture.
(b) His wedding ring.
(c) Bolivian powder.
(d) An old check he forgot to cash.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's favorite exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum?
2. What phrase does Wade want on the narrator's epitaph?
3. What relationship of Megan's surprises the narrator?
4. What does the narrator smell on his way home, through his nose-bleed?
5. Where does the narrator wake up the next morning?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)