|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bridget's first on-camera assignment for Good Afternoon! takes place where?
2. What is the name of the 23-year-old that Bridget takes to dinner with the Smug Marrieds?
3. After Bridget tells Daniel that she is quitting, Perpetua does something which surprises Bridget. What is it?
4. Why does Bridget think Daniel cheated on her?
5. Bridget is certain that losing weight, having no cellulite, cutting out alcohol and _____________________ will fix her life.
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Perpetua Bridget's friend?
2. Skim the December chapter. Provide evidence that Bridget's character has grown over the past year.
3. How does the Darcys' ruby anniversary party change Bridget and Mark's relationship?
4. Describe the personality of Bridget's new boss, Richard Finch.
5. Is Bridget's preparation for her August job interview uncharacteristic of the Bridget presented so far in the book?
6. What trait allows Bridget to finally have power over the men in her life?
7. Describe Mark Darcy's treatment of Bridget at the Tarts and Vicars party in July.
8. After everything that Bridget's mum has put her through, why does Bridget turn to her for support after she dumps Daniel in August?
9. How is Daniel's lover, Suki, different than Bridget?
10. Mark does not tell Bridget the reason for his dislike of Daniel until the night of his parents' ruby anniversary party. What does Mark's decision to wait until after Daniel and Bridget break up say about Mark's level of respect for Bridget?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many Western cultures, modern women are engaged in a debate about the merits of being a career mom versus a stay-at-home mom. Most women would agree that the role of mother is important, but many women feel it is their role in the workplace that provides personal fulfillment. The career mom versus stay-at-home mom issue is a recurrent one in "Bridget Jones's Diary."
Explain how this issue is treated by the author when:
1) Bridget attends Harry's birthday party.
2) Bridget's mum decides she needs a career.
3) Magda discusses her inability to leave Jeremy.
What is the author's opinion on the subject? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Bridget and Jude. Explain how the two women are similar in their thoughts, feelings, and problems. Examine how they deal with relationships and identify any differences they might have.
Essay Topic 3
How do Perpetua and Natasha treat Bridget at the book-release party? How does Bridget handle the situation? What is the goal of their behavior? How does their treatment of Bridget provide Mark Darcy with an opportunity to connect with Bridget?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)