|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picks up Bridget's mother when she returns from Portugal?
2. Bridget is also excited because this will be a good opportunity for Daniel to meet ____________.
3. Out of desperation, Bridget decides to call her mum for advice. She calls the advice her mum gives her ____________.
4. How many pounds does she win playing the lottery over the course of the year?
5. Mark does not want Bridget to worry too much about dinner. She thinks his concern is ___________.
Essay Topic 1
Answer the following questions about Bridget's character. Make sure to support your answers with evidence from the text.
1) What are Bridget's good qualities?
2) What are Bridget's bad qualities?
3) What are Bridget's goals in life?
4) What is Bridget's motivation for reaching these goals?
5) What things conflict with Bridget's ability to achieve her goals?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Bridget's handling of her disastrous dinner party for Mark and her mum's fugitive status show the growth of her character. Also, identify which events have contributed to the changes in her.
Essay Topic 3
In many Western cultures, modern women are engaged in a debate about the merits of being a career mom versus a stay-at-home mom. Most women would agree that the role of mother is important, but many women feel it is their role in the workplace that provides personal fulfillment. The career mom versus stay-at-home mom issue is a recurrent one in "Bridget Jones's Diary."
Explain how this issue is treated by the author when:
1) Bridget attends Harry's birthday party.
2) Bridget's mum decides she needs a career.
3) Magda discusses her inability to leave Jeremy.
What is the author's opinion on the subject? How can you tell?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)