|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mark and Bridget have a bonding moment over milk and _________.
2. Which items does Bridget NOT serve at dinner?
3. How does Bridget try to make herself feel better about her breakup with Daniel?
4. What is the purpose of Bridget's dinner party?
5. Bridget's first on-camera assignment for Good Afternoon! takes place where?
Short Essay Questions
1. August is a month of multiple crises for Bridget. What positive things happen to Bridget that might help her achieve some of the things on her list of New Year's resolutions?
2. Explain Julio's crime.
3. Bridget has obsessed all year about food, weight, and men. Why is it ironic that she decides to impress Mark by hosting an extravagant dinner in November?
4. At the Darcys' ruby anniversary party, Bridget tries to talk to Mark, but he is busy trying to arrange dinner seating. Does Mark intentionally seat Bridget between the gay vicar and Geoffrey Alconbury instead of by his "dishy friends" as Bridget hopes?
5. September begins with Bridget's mum calling to talk about the Darcys' ruby anniversary party. Why is Bridget's mum so obsessed with the idea of Bridget dating Mark Darcy?
6. What is the purpose of Simon Dalrymple's character at the Darcys' ruby anniversary party?
7. How is the subplot involving Bridget's mum and Julio resolved in December?
8. What is significant about Bridget's reaction to Daniel at the end of December?
9. If Daniel had never cheated on Bridget, would they have made a successful couple?
10. Which of the following is the reason for Bridget's successful year: Self-improvement or self-acceptance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of "Bridget Jones's Diary," Bridget compiles two lists of New Year's resolutions. The lists represent things Bridget will and will not do in the upcoming year. The author uses the lists as a device to introduce literary elements to the reader in an interesting way.
How are each of the following elements introduced in Bridget's list? Remember to provide examples in your answers.
3) Point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Answer the following questions about Bridget's character. Make sure to support your answers with evidence from the text.
1) What are Bridget's good qualities?
2) What are Bridget's bad qualities?
3) What are Bridget's goals in life?
4) What is Bridget's motivation for reaching these goals?
5) What things conflict with Bridget's ability to achieve her goals?
Essay Topic 3
Bridget and her mum have an interesting, often troubled, relationship. However, there are times in the book when it is obvious that Bridget's mum cares and wants to see her daughter happy. Give 3 examples of times when Bridget's mum is concerned with Bridget's welfare. Explain how each example shows her mum's true feelings for Bridget.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)