|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bridget upset when Daniel backs out of going to the Tarts and Vicars party?
2. During Bridget's job interview at Good Afternoon!, she says something very funny. What happens as a result?
3. What advice does Bridget's mum give her about Bridget's break up with Daniel?
4. Who is the "nice boyfriend" that Bridget lists?
5. Before Christmas, Bridget learns that her parents are ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What predictions can be made about Bridget's new year?
2. Skim the December chapter. Provide evidence that Bridget's character has grown over the past year.
3. In November, Bridget gets an unusual phone call from her mum. What is suspicious about Bridget's mum's behavior when she calls?
4. Does young Gav mean to be insulting when he calls Bridget's stomach "squishy" during their date in September?
5. At the Darcys' ruby anniversary party, Bridget tries to talk to Mark, but he is busy trying to arrange dinner seating. Does Mark intentionally seat Bridget between the gay vicar and Geoffrey Alconbury instead of by his "dishy friends" as Bridget hopes?
6. Describe Mark Darcy's treatment of Bridget at the Tarts and Vicars party in July.
7. Mark does not tell Bridget the reason for his dislike of Daniel until the night of his parents' ruby anniversary party. What does Mark's decision to wait until after Daniel and Bridget break up say about Mark's level of respect for Bridget?
8. Bridget has obsessed all year about food, weight, and men. Why is it ironic that she decides to impress Mark by hosting an extravagant dinner in November?
9. How does the reader know that Mark's girlfriend, Natasha, feels threatened by Bridget?
10. Is Perpetua Bridget's friend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Defend Mark Darcy as the author's choice for Bridget's perfect boyfriend. How does the reader know what Bridget is looking for in a relationship? What are her expectations? How does the reader know that Mark meets these expectations? Use evidence from Bridget's relationship with Daniel, Bridget's resolutions lists, and Bridget's interactions with Mark to build your case.
Essay Topic 2
How do Perpetua and Natasha treat Bridget at the book-release party? How does Bridget handle the situation? What is the goal of their behavior? How does their treatment of Bridget provide Mark Darcy with an opportunity to connect with Bridget?
Essay Topic 3
Bridget is blessed with having good friends whom she thinks of as family. Describe each of Bridget's friends and explain why the author created them. Also, explain how each character is connected to a theme in the book.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)