|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Christmas, Bridget learns that her parents are ______________.
2. What does Mark ask Bridget when they are alone at the Ruby Anniversary party?
3. How many pounds does she win playing the lottery over the course of the year?
4. What has Julio done that causes Bridget's mum to run off with him?
5. Mark ends up traveling to ___________ to find Bridget's mum.
Short Essay Questions
1. Skim the December chapter. Provide evidence that Bridget's character has grown over the past year.
2. Identify the climax of the book.
3. In November, Bridget gets an unusual phone call from her mum. What is suspicious about Bridget's mum's behavior when she calls?
4. How is the romantic subplot between Bridget and Mark resolved in December?
5. How is the subplot involving Bridget's mum and Julio resolved in December?
6. Is Bridget's preparation for her August job interview uncharacteristic of the Bridget presented so far in the book?
7. Mark does not tell Bridget the reason for his dislike of Daniel until the night of his parents' ruby anniversary party. What does Mark's decision to wait until after Daniel and Bridget break up say about Mark's level of respect for Bridget?
8. What trait allows Bridget to finally have power over the men in her life?
9. At the Darcys' ruby anniversary party, Bridget tries to talk to Mark, but he is busy trying to arrange dinner seating. Does Mark intentionally seat Bridget between the gay vicar and Geoffrey Alconbury instead of by his "dishy friends" as Bridget hopes?
10. What is significant about Bridget's reaction to Daniel at the end of December?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the author's decision to include an end-of-the-year tally of Bridget's resolutions. What information is the author trying to get across? Does this help to create closure in the book? Would you know what was going on in Bridget's life without the end-of-the-year tally?
Essay Topic 2
Bridget is blessed with having good friends whom she thinks of as family. Describe each of Bridget's friends and explain why the author created them. Also, explain how each character is connected to a theme in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Bridget begins to purchase lottery tickets in March. How might the lottery tickets be symbolic of Bridget's lack of progress on her career and financial goals?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)