|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the 23-year-old that Bridget takes to dinner with the Smug Marrieds?
2. Why is Bridget embarrassed when she arrives at the Tarts and Vicars party?
3. Why does Mark dislike Daniel?
4. How much weight does she lose over the year?
5. Gav turns out to be a fun date until he calls Bridget ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Bridget's preparation for her August job interview uncharacteristic of the Bridget presented so far in the book?
2. Skim the December chapter. Provide evidence that Bridget's character has grown over the past year.
3. Does young Gav mean to be insulting when he calls Bridget's stomach "squishy" during their date in September?
4. Bridget has obsessed all year about food, weight, and men. Why is it ironic that she decides to impress Mark by hosting an extravagant dinner in November?
5. How does the Darcys' ruby anniversary party change Bridget and Mark's relationship?
6. Does Bridget need to change to be with Mark?
7. At the Darcys' ruby anniversary party, Bridget tries to talk to Mark, but he is busy trying to arrange dinner seating. Does Mark intentionally seat Bridget between the gay vicar and Geoffrey Alconbury instead of by his "dishy friends" as Bridget hopes?
8. Which of the following is the reason for Bridget's successful year: Self-improvement or self-acceptance?
9. After everything that Bridget's mum has put her through, why does Bridget turn to her for support after she dumps Daniel in August?
10. How is the romantic subplot between Bridget and Mark resolved in December?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bridget is blessed with having good friends whom she thinks of as family. Describe each of Bridget's friends and explain why the author created them. Also, explain how each character is connected to a theme in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Answer the following questions about Bridget's character. Make sure to support your answers with evidence from the text.
1) What are Bridget's good qualities?
2) What are Bridget's bad qualities?
3) What are Bridget's goals in life?
4) What is Bridget's motivation for reaching these goals?
5) What things conflict with Bridget's ability to achieve her goals?
Essay Topic 3
As Bridget and Daniel become more involved in June, the reader begins to understand more of what Bridget expects in a relationship. Describe what Bridget's perfect relationship might look like. Remember to include evidence from the text to back up your thoughts. Is Bridget's 'perfect relationship' realistic?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)