|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mark ends up traveling to ___________ to find Bridget's mum.
2. As the December chapter begins, what are Bridget's thoughts about Mark?
3. Bridget lists her yearly calorie count as ____________.
4. Who convinces Bridget to attend the Darcy's Ruby Anniversary party?
5. Why does Perpetua charge Bridget extra money for their room in Edinburgh?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the Darcys' ruby anniversary party, Bridget tries to talk to Mark, but he is busy trying to arrange dinner seating. Does Mark intentionally seat Bridget between the gay vicar and Geoffrey Alconbury instead of by his "dishy friends" as Bridget hopes?
2. What is significant about Bridget's reaction to Daniel at the end of December?
3. Does young Gav mean to be insulting when he calls Bridget's stomach "squishy" during their date in September?
4. Is Perpetua Bridget's friend?
5. Does Bridget need to change to be with Mark?
6. How is the subplot involving Bridget's mum and Julio resolved in December?
7. In November, Bridget gets an unusual phone call from her mum. What is suspicious about Bridget's mum's behavior when she calls?
8. What predictions can be made about Bridget's new year?
9. Bridget has obsessed all year about food, weight, and men. Why is it ironic that she decides to impress Mark by hosting an extravagant dinner in November?
10. How does the Darcys' ruby anniversary party change Bridget and Mark's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the book, Bridget writes that Daniel is a playboy. As the book progresses, Bridget runs into more and more women whom Daniel has hurt and forgotten. In July, Bridget realizes that Daniel has been cheating on her with Suki, a woman opposite of Bridget in every way.
Analyze Daniel's participation in the relationship. Answer the following questions:
1) Considering Daniel's past - and present - interactions with women, why do you think he stays with Bridget for so long?
2) It becomes obvious that Daniel does not want to put in the effort required for a relationship, so why does he stay with Bridget?
3) Daniel eventually chooses Suki over Bridget. How is Suki a better fit for him?
4) Do you think Daniel ends up regretting his choice?
Essay Topic 2
As Bridget and Daniel become more involved in June, the reader begins to understand more of what Bridget expects in a relationship. Describe what Bridget's perfect relationship might look like. Remember to include evidence from the text to back up your thoughts. Is Bridget's 'perfect relationship' realistic?
Essay Topic 3
In many Western cultures, modern women are engaged in a debate about the merits of being a career mom versus a stay-at-home mom. Most women would agree that the role of mother is important, but many women feel it is their role in the workplace that provides personal fulfillment. The career mom versus stay-at-home mom issue is a recurrent one in "Bridget Jones's Diary."
Explain how this issue is treated by the author when:
1) Bridget attends Harry's birthday party.
2) Bridget's mum decides she needs a career.
3) Magda discusses her inability to leave Jeremy.
What is the author's opinion on the subject? How can you tell?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)