|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Bridget's job interview at Good Afternoon!, she says something very funny. What happens as a result?
2. What does Bridget's mum do for her that makes things better?
3. What does Daniel's interpretation of Bridget's dream show the reader about his character?
4. Mark Darcy makes it clear that he does not like ________________.
5. Before Christmas, Bridget learns that her parents are ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Julio's crime.
2. Bridget has obsessed all year about food, weight, and men. Why is it ironic that she decides to impress Mark by hosting an extravagant dinner in November?
3. Mark does not tell Bridget the reason for his dislike of Daniel until the night of his parents' ruby anniversary party. What does Mark's decision to wait until after Daniel and Bridget break up say about Mark's level of respect for Bridget?
4. How is Daniel's lover, Suki, different than Bridget?
5. If Daniel had never cheated on Bridget, would they have made a successful couple?
6. Describe the personality of Bridget's new boss, Richard Finch.
7. After everything that Bridget's mum has put her through, why does Bridget turn to her for support after she dumps Daniel in August?
8. Describe Mark Darcy's treatment of Bridget at the Tarts and Vicars party in July.
9. Does Bridget need to change to be with Mark?
10. At the Darcys' ruby anniversary party, Bridget tries to talk to Mark, but he is busy trying to arrange dinner seating. Does Mark intentionally seat Bridget between the gay vicar and Geoffrey Alconbury instead of by his "dishy friends" as Bridget hopes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the end of September, Bridget has worked for two different bosses, Daniel Cleaver and Richard Finch. Compare and contrast these two men in how they conduct themselves as bosses, men, and their treatment of Bridget.
Essay Topic 2
Defend Mark Darcy as the author's choice for Bridget's perfect boyfriend. How does the reader know what Bridget is looking for in a relationship? What are her expectations? How does the reader know that Mark meets these expectations? Use evidence from Bridget's relationship with Daniel, Bridget's resolutions lists, and Bridget's interactions with Mark to build your case.
Essay Topic 3
In April, Bridget and Jude briefly discuss Zen philosophy as a way to have "inner poise" and overcome obstacles. Bridget writes that if you are Zen, "instead of straining or becoming angry you should just relax and feel your way into the Flow and everything will work out."
Which of Bridget's character traits are at odds with the idea of Zen? How might those traits work against her?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)