|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bridget and Mark never go out to dinner together. Why?
2. Why is Bridget excited when Daniel agrees to go to the Tarts and Vicars party?
3. During Bridget's job interview at Good Afternoon!, she says something very funny. What happens as a result?
4. What advice does Bridget's mum give her about Bridget's break up with Daniel?
5. Why is Bridget upset when Daniel backs out of going to the Tarts and Vicars party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What predictions can be made about Bridget's new year?
2. How does the Darcys' ruby anniversary party change Bridget and Mark's relationship?
3. Does young Gav mean to be insulting when he calls Bridget's stomach "squishy" during their date in September?
4. What is the purpose of Simon Dalrymple's character at the Darcys' ruby anniversary party?
5. September begins with Bridget's mum calling to talk about the Darcys' ruby anniversary party. Why is Bridget's mum so obsessed with the idea of Bridget dating Mark Darcy?
6. After everything that Bridget's mum has put her through, why does Bridget turn to her for support after she dumps Daniel in August?
7. At the Darcys' ruby anniversary party, Bridget tries to talk to Mark, but he is busy trying to arrange dinner seating. Does Mark intentionally seat Bridget between the gay vicar and Geoffrey Alconbury instead of by his "dishy friends" as Bridget hopes?
8. Is Bridget's preparation for her August job interview uncharacteristic of the Bridget presented so far in the book?
9. Skim the December chapter. Provide evidence that Bridget's character has grown over the past year.
10. Describe the personality of Bridget's new boss, Richard Finch.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Answer the following questions about Bridget's character. Make sure to support your answers with evidence from the text.
1) What are Bridget's good qualities?
2) What are Bridget's bad qualities?
3) What are Bridget's goals in life?
4) What is Bridget's motivation for reaching these goals?
5) What things conflict with Bridget's ability to achieve her goals?
Essay Topic 2
The building of a romantic relationship between Bridget and Mark is an important subplot of the book. Identify the following in the Bridget/Mark plot line:
2) Rising action.
4) Falling action.
Essay Topic 3
Answer the following questions in paragraph form:
In March, Bridget recognizes that she does not have power over the men in her life. What does she mean when she writes about "power"? How does she give her power away to the men in her life?
Bridget's mum seems to conduct her love life without thought to how her carelessness might hurt others. Is that the kind of power Bridget should strive for? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)