|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Bridget tells Daniel that she is quitting, Perpetua does something which surprises Bridget. What is it?
2. Daniel begs Bridget to go out for a drink and talk with him. What does he tell her while they are out?
3. Who is the "nice boyfriend" that Bridget lists?
4. What answer does Bridget give Mark about going to dinner?
5. What is the purpose of Bridget's dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the romantic subplot between Bridget and Mark resolved in December?
2. Explain Julio's crime.
3. Is Perpetua Bridget's friend?
4. How does the Darcys' ruby anniversary party change Bridget and Mark's relationship?
5. After everything that Bridget's mum has put her through, why does Bridget turn to her for support after she dumps Daniel in August?
6. Describe the personality of Bridget's new boss, Richard Finch.
7. August is a month of multiple crises for Bridget. What positive things happen to Bridget that might help her achieve some of the things on her list of New Year's resolutions?
8. Identify the climax of the book.
9. Which of the following is the reason for Bridget's successful year: Self-improvement or self-acceptance?
10. If Daniel had never cheated on Bridget, would they have made a successful couple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Bridget and Daniel become more involved in June, the reader begins to understand more of what Bridget expects in a relationship. Describe what Bridget's perfect relationship might look like. Remember to include evidence from the text to back up your thoughts. Is Bridget's 'perfect relationship' realistic?
Essay Topic 2
Answer the following questions in paragraph form:
In March, Bridget recognizes that she does not have power over the men in her life. What does she mean when she writes about "power"? How does she give her power away to the men in her life?
Bridget's mum seems to conduct her love life without thought to how her carelessness might hurt others. Is that the kind of power Bridget should strive for? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the author's decision to include an end-of-the-year tally of Bridget's resolutions. What information is the author trying to get across? Does this help to create closure in the book? Would you know what was going on in Bridget's life without the end-of-the-year tally?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)