|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mark and Bridget leave the chaos of her parents' Christmas and decide to have a private dinner together. What does Mark tell Bridget over dinner?
2. Bridget is under pressure to land a huge interview for her boss. Who arranges for her to get an exclusive interview?
3. Bridget decides that her end-of-the-year tally represents what?
4. Why is Bridget upset when Daniel backs out of going to the Tarts and Vicars party?
5. Bridget's firehouse interview is a complete _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Darcys' ruby anniversary party change Bridget and Mark's relationship?
2. In November, Bridget gets an unusual phone call from her mum. What is suspicious about Bridget's mum's behavior when she calls?
3. Describe Mark Darcy's treatment of Bridget at the Tarts and Vicars party in July.
4. Does young Gav mean to be insulting when he calls Bridget's stomach "squishy" during their date in September?
5. What predictions can be made about Bridget's new year?
6. Which of the following is the reason for Bridget's successful year: Self-improvement or self-acceptance?
7. Describe the personality of Bridget's new boss, Richard Finch.
8. If Daniel had never cheated on Bridget, would they have made a successful couple?
9. After everything that Bridget's mum has put her through, why does Bridget turn to her for support after she dumps Daniel in August?
10. Does Bridget need to change to be with Mark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In April, Bridget and Jude briefly discuss Zen philosophy as a way to have "inner poise" and overcome obstacles. Bridget writes that if you are Zen, "instead of straining or becoming angry you should just relax and feel your way into the Flow and everything will work out."
Which of Bridget's character traits are at odds with the idea of Zen? How might those traits work against her?
Essay Topic 2
By the end of September, Bridget has worked for two different bosses, Daniel Cleaver and Richard Finch. Compare and contrast these two men in how they conduct themselves as bosses, men, and their treatment of Bridget.
Essay Topic 3
Answer the following questions about Bridget's character. Make sure to support your answers with evidence from the text.
1) What are Bridget's good qualities?
2) What are Bridget's bad qualities?
3) What are Bridget's goals in life?
4) What is Bridget's motivation for reaching these goals?
5) What things conflict with Bridget's ability to achieve her goals?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)