|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Bridget's dinner party?
2. Mark Darcy's home can only be described as a _____________.
3. What is a "vicar"?
4. Bridget's humiliation during her firehouse interview brings her closer to whom?
5. What answer does Bridget give Mark about going to dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Bridget and Daniel become more involved in June, the reader begins to understand more of what Bridget expects in a relationship. Describe what Bridget's perfect relationship might look like. Remember to include evidence from the text to back up your thoughts. Is Bridget's 'perfect relationship' realistic?
Essay Topic 2
Defend Mark Darcy as the author's choice for Bridget's perfect boyfriend. How does the reader know what Bridget is looking for in a relationship? What are her expectations? How does the reader know that Mark meets these expectations? Use evidence from Bridget's relationship with Daniel, Bridget's resolutions lists, and Bridget's interactions with Mark to build your case.
Essay Topic 3
In many Western cultures, modern women are engaged in a debate about the merits of being a career mom versus a stay-at-home mom. Most women would agree that the role of mother is important, but many women feel it is their role in the workplace that provides personal fulfillment. The career mom versus stay-at-home mom issue is a recurrent one in "Bridget Jones's Diary."
Explain how this issue is treated by the author when:
1) Bridget attends Harry's birthday party.
2) Bridget's mum decides she needs a career.
3) Magda discusses her inability to leave Jeremy.
What is the author's opinion on the subject? How can you tell?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)