|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In June, Bridget writes that she finds her relationship with Daniel to be somewhat _______________.
2. Bridget's Valentine's Day card from Daniel is ________________.
3. What is a "Smug Married"?
4. What does Bridget think about the possibility of being pregnant?
5. What does Bridget's "I Will Not" list tell the reader about her character?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Bridget's mum is interviewing Bridget for "Suddenly Single" Daniel walks out of Bridget's bedroom, surprising them all. Daniel's words and behaviors are friendly. However, how might Daniel's behavior be seen as disrespectful toward Bridget and her mum?
2. Does email help or hurt Bridget and Daniel's office flirtations in January?
3. Review both of Bridget's New Year's resolution lists. What themes emerge from them?
4. Thanks to Rebecca, what new thing does Bridget begin to obsess over in June?
5. According to Bridget, what is "inner poise" and how can she achieve it?
6. What do Bridget and her mum have an unspoken competition over in March?
7. What is the conversation like between Bridget and Mark Darcy at the Turkey Curry Buffet?
8. Why does Bridget become upset during dinner with the "Smug Marrieds" in February?
9. Why is it ironic that Bridget's mum is enthusiastically hosting a television show titled "Suddenly Single"?
10. Explain why Bridget is anxious to leave Harry's birthday party in March.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bridget is blessed with having good friends whom she thinks of as family. Describe each of Bridget's friends and explain why the author created them. Also, explain how each character is connected to a theme in the book.
Essay Topic 2
In many Western cultures, modern women are engaged in a debate about the merits of being a career mom versus a stay-at-home mom. Most women would agree that the role of mother is important, but many women feel it is their role in the workplace that provides personal fulfillment. The career mom versus stay-at-home mom issue is a recurrent one in "Bridget Jones's Diary."
Explain how this issue is treated by the author when:
1) Bridget attends Harry's birthday party.
2) Bridget's mum decides she needs a career.
3) Magda discusses her inability to leave Jeremy.
What is the author's opinion on the subject? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
When Bridget begins working for "Good Afternoon!" she tries hard to perform to the best of her abilities. However, her achievements at work seem to make her the outsider. Bridget feels disliked by her coworkers both because of her age and because of her dedication.
1) Why does Bridget's dedication and success create harsh feelings toward her with her coworkers?
2) Why does age effect the way Bridget's coworkers view her?
3) Explain how Bridget overcomes these differences with her coworkers.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)