|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bridget always knows that she will get love and support from ____________.
2. What resolution does Bridget break at the beginning of February?
3. The top two items on both the "I Will Not" list and the "I Will" list have to do with what?
4. Who is Mark Darcy?
5. What is Bridget's goal when she attends the book-release party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason might Bridget have for not looking for a new job in April?
2. Why might the author create conflict in Magda and Jeremy's marriage?
3. Does email help or hurt Bridget and Daniel's office flirtations in January?
4. Why is it ironic that Bridget's mum is enthusiastically hosting a television show titled "Suddenly Single"?
5. In March, how does Daniel's behavior toward Bridget foreshadow their future together?
6. Why does Bridget become upset during dinner with the "Smug Marrieds" in February?
7. How does Bridget feel when she is questioned about her relationship status at the Turkey Curry Buffet?
8. What is the conversation like between Bridget and Mark Darcy at the Turkey Curry Buffet?
9. Thanks to Rebecca, what new thing does Bridget begin to obsess over in June?
10. Describe the changes in Bridget's relationship with Daniel that take place in May.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the book, Bridget writes that Daniel is a playboy. As the book progresses, Bridget runs into more and more women whom Daniel has hurt and forgotten. In July, Bridget realizes that Daniel has been cheating on her with Suki, a woman opposite of Bridget in every way.
Analyze Daniel's participation in the relationship. Answer the following questions:
1) Considering Daniel's past - and present - interactions with women, why do you think he stays with Bridget for so long?
2) It becomes obvious that Daniel does not want to put in the effort required for a relationship, so why does he stay with Bridget?
3) Daniel eventually chooses Suki over Bridget. How is Suki a better fit for him?
4) Do you think Daniel ends up regretting his choice?
Essay Topic 2
Bridget begins to purchase lottery tickets in March. How might the lottery tickets be symbolic of Bridget's lack of progress on her career and financial goals?
Essay Topic 3
When Bridget begins working for "Good Afternoon!" she tries hard to perform to the best of her abilities. However, her achievements at work seem to make her the outsider. Bridget feels disliked by her coworkers both because of her age and because of her dedication.
1) Why does Bridget's dedication and success create harsh feelings toward her with her coworkers?
2) Why does age effect the way Bridget's coworkers view her?
3) Explain how Bridget overcomes these differences with her coworkers.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)