|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they are driving to their hotel, Daniel and Bridget begin to discuss current events. Why does Daniel begin to treat Bridget like she is dumb?
2. After Bridget accuses Daniel of giving mixed signals, what does Daniel accuse Bridget of being?
3. Where does Bridget meet her friends after work the day she and Daniel begin flirting by email?
4. Which of the following is NOT given as a reason why Bridget should be interested in Mark?
5. How does email help Bridget and Daniel flirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the personality of Bridget's new boss, Richard Finch.
2. What are Bridget's friends like?
3. Why might the author create conflict in Magda and Jeremy's marriage?
4. How does the Darcys' ruby anniversary party change Bridget and Mark's relationship?
5. Which of the following is the reason for Bridget's successful year: Self-improvement or self-acceptance?
6. Thanks to Rebecca, what new thing does Bridget begin to obsess over in June?
7. After everything that Bridget's mum has put her through, why does Bridget turn to her for support after she dumps Daniel in August?
8. What is the conversation like between Bridget and Mark Darcy at the Turkey Curry Buffet?
9. How is Daniel's lover, Suki, different than Bridget?
10. Describe Mark Darcy's treatment of Bridget at the Tarts and Vicars party in July.
Essay Topic 1
In April, Bridget and Jude briefly discuss Zen philosophy as a way to have "inner poise" and overcome obstacles. Bridget writes that if you are Zen, "instead of straining or becoming angry you should just relax and feel your way into the Flow and everything will work out."
Which of Bridget's character traits are at odds with the idea of Zen? How might those traits work against her?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of "Bridget Jones's Diary," Bridget compiles two lists of New Year's resolutions. The lists represent things Bridget will and will not do in the upcoming year. The author uses the lists as a device to introduce literary elements to the reader in an interesting way.
How are each of the following elements introduced in Bridget's list? Remember to provide examples in your answers.
3) Point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Bridget will be happiest with a man who accepts her as she is; someone who has the ability to appreciate her flaws, her insecurities, and her eccentricities. Ideally, she needs a person who will see who she is on the inside.
Explain why Mark Darcy might be looking for this same kind of acceptance.
This section contains 2,162 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)