|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Perpetua?
2. Which of Bridget's New Year's resolutions will give her the power her mum has?
3. Bridget decides that the secret to her mum's new happiness is ______________.
4. How is the dinner party at Magda's similar to the Turkey Curry Buffet?
5. Bridget's "I Will Not" list is pretty clear about the types of men she wants to stay away from. What does her list suggest about her past dating experiences?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Magda encourage Bridget to enjoy being single when they see each other in May?
2. Describe what is happening between Bridget's parents in February.
3. Explain what Bridget finds attractive about her boss, Daniel Cleaver.
4. Why might the author create conflict in Magda and Jeremy's marriage?
5. What reason might Bridget have for not looking for a new job in April?
6. Identify the tone of the book as set by Bridget's New Year's resolution lists.
7. What are Bridget's friends like?
8. In February, Bridget learns that her parents are having marital problems. How does she feel about this?
9. Why does Bridget become upset during dinner with the "Smug Marrieds" in February?
10. What can the reader infer about Bridget's relationships with men by looking at her New Year's resolutions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bridget begins to purchase lottery tickets in March. How might the lottery tickets be symbolic of Bridget's lack of progress on her career and financial goals?
Essay Topic 2
The building of a romantic relationship between Bridget and Mark is an important subplot of the book. Identify the following in the Bridget/Mark plot line:
2) Rising action.
4) Falling action.
Essay Topic 3
In April, Bridget and Jude briefly discuss Zen philosophy as a way to have "inner poise" and overcome obstacles. Bridget writes that if you are Zen, "instead of straining or becoming angry you should just relax and feel your way into the Flow and everything will work out."
Which of Bridget's character traits are at odds with the idea of Zen? How might those traits work against her?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)