|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bridget always knows that she will get love and support from ____________.
2. In June, Bridget writes that she finds her relationship with Daniel to be somewhat _______________.
3. Why does Bridget consider her crush on Daniel Cleaver to be "pathetic"?
4. What does Bridget think about the possibility of being pregnant?
5. Magda's complaints about her relationship with Jeremy are very similar to ___________ complaints about _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Does email help or hurt Bridget and Daniel's office flirtations in January?
2. Why might the author create conflict in Magda and Jeremy's marriage?
3. What problems do Bridget's New Year's resolutions address?
4. What reason might Bridget have for not looking for a new job in April?
5. Explain how Bridget's mum convinces her to attend the New Year's Curry Turkey Buffet in January.
6. Bridget's friends show up for her birthday dinner party armed with champagne and reservations for a restaurant. What do their gifts say about their friendship?
7. Describe the changes in Bridget's relationship with Daniel that take place in May.
8. In June, the reader becomes more familiar with Daniel. Describe his character.
9. How are the items on Bridget's "I Will" list similar to the items on her "I Will Not" list?
10. How does Bridget feel when she is questioned about her relationship status at the Turkey Curry Buffet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In April, Bridget and Jude briefly discuss Zen philosophy as a way to have "inner poise" and overcome obstacles. Bridget writes that if you are Zen, "instead of straining or becoming angry you should just relax and feel your way into the Flow and everything will work out."
Which of Bridget's character traits are at odds with the idea of Zen? How might those traits work against her?
Essay Topic 2
The building of a romantic relationship between Bridget and Mark is an important subplot of the book. Identify the following in the Bridget/Mark plot line:
2) Rising action.
4) Falling action.
Essay Topic 3
In many Western cultures, modern women are engaged in a debate about the merits of being a career mom versus a stay-at-home mom. Most women would agree that the role of mother is important, but many women feel it is their role in the workplace that provides personal fulfillment. The career mom versus stay-at-home mom issue is a recurrent one in "Bridget Jones's Diary."
Explain how this issue is treated by the author when:
1) Bridget attends Harry's birthday party.
2) Bridget's mum decides she needs a career.
3) Magda discusses her inability to leave Jeremy.
What is the author's opinion on the subject? How can you tell?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)