|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bridget consider her crush on Daniel Cleaver to be "pathetic"?
2. Bridget finally convinces Daniel to take a mini-vacation with her. How does Daniel know the only other person at the hotel?
3. As they are driving to their hotel, Daniel and Bridget begin to discuss current events. Why does Daniel begin to treat Bridget like she is dumb?
4. What does the February chapter foreshadow about Bridget and Daniel's relationship?
5. Why does Mark run to the buffet table after talking to Bridget?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might the author create conflict in Magda and Jeremy's marriage?
2. What is a "Smug Married"?
3. Why does Bridget become upset during dinner with the "Smug Marrieds" in February?
4. In February, Bridget learns that her parents are having marital problems. How does she feel about this?
5. Bridget's friends show up for her birthday dinner party armed with champagne and reservations for a restaurant. What do their gifts say about their friendship?
6. As Bridget's mum is interviewing Bridget for "Suddenly Single" Daniel walks out of Bridget's bedroom, surprising them all. Daniel's words and behaviors are friendly. However, how might Daniel's behavior be seen as disrespectful toward Bridget and her mum?
7. In June, the reader becomes more familiar with Daniel. Describe his character.
8. According to Bridget, what is "inner poise" and how can she achieve it?
9. How are the items on Bridget's "I Will" list similar to the items on her "I Will Not" list?
10. Explain why Bridget is anxious to leave Harry's birthday party in March.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Bridget begins working for "Good Afternoon!" she tries hard to perform to the best of her abilities. However, her achievements at work seem to make her the outsider. Bridget feels disliked by her coworkers both because of her age and because of her dedication.
1) Why does Bridget's dedication and success create harsh feelings toward her with her coworkers?
2) Why does age effect the way Bridget's coworkers view her?
3) Explain how Bridget overcomes these differences with her coworkers.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of "Bridget Jones's Diary," Bridget compiles two lists of New Year's resolutions. The lists represent things Bridget will and will not do in the upcoming year. The author uses the lists as a device to introduce literary elements to the reader in an interesting way.
How are each of the following elements introduced in Bridget's list? Remember to provide examples in your answers.
3) Point of view.
Essay Topic 3
In many Western cultures, modern women are engaged in a debate about the merits of being a career mom versus a stay-at-home mom. Most women would agree that the role of mother is important, but many women feel it is their role in the workplace that provides personal fulfillment. The career mom versus stay-at-home mom issue is a recurrent one in "Bridget Jones's Diary."
Explain how this issue is treated by the author when:
1) Bridget attends Harry's birthday party.
2) Bridget's mum decides she needs a career.
3) Magda discusses her inability to leave Jeremy.
What is the author's opinion on the subject? How can you tell?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)