|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of January, Bridget is woken up by a phone call from her mum. What does Bridget's mum really want when she calls?
2. April opens with Bridget wishing she had ____________.
3. What does Bridget discover when her mum interviews her for Suddenly Single?
4. What industry does Bridget work in?
5. What does the phone conversation between Bridget and her mum tell the reader about her mum's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bridget has obsessed all year about food, weight, and men. Why is it ironic that she decides to impress Mark by hosting an extravagant dinner in November?
2. What can the reader infer about Bridget's relationships with men by looking at her New Year's resolutions?
3. In May, Bridget reflects that relationships are complicated. What lessons should she learn from the problems in her friends' relationships?
4. Identify the warning signs that Daniel does not want to take a mini-holiday with Bridget in June.
5. What are Bridget's friends like?
6. What problems do Bridget's New Year's resolutions address?
7. How are the items on Bridget's "I Will" list similar to the items on her "I Will Not" list?
8. August is a month of multiple crises for Bridget. What positive things happen to Bridget that might help her achieve some of the things on her list of New Year's resolutions?
9. Skim the December chapter. Provide evidence that Bridget's character has grown over the past year.
10. Why does Bridget become upset during dinner with the "Smug Marrieds" in February?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Perpetua and Natasha treat Bridget at the book-release party? How does Bridget handle the situation? What is the goal of their behavior? How does their treatment of Bridget provide Mark Darcy with an opportunity to connect with Bridget?
Essay Topic 2
When Bridget begins working for "Good Afternoon!" she tries hard to perform to the best of her abilities. However, her achievements at work seem to make her the outsider. Bridget feels disliked by her coworkers both because of her age and because of her dedication.
1) Why does Bridget's dedication and success create harsh feelings toward her with her coworkers?
2) Why does age effect the way Bridget's coworkers view her?
3) Explain how Bridget overcomes these differences with her coworkers.
Essay Topic 3
The building of a romantic relationship between Bridget and Mark is an important subplot of the book. Identify the following in the Bridget/Mark plot line:
2) Rising action.
4) Falling action.
This section contains 2,106 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)