|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the older, married people at the party push Bridget and Mark together?
2. Bridget resolves to become a more physically healthy person. Which of the following does she decide to stop doing?
3. Perpetua and Mark's friend, Natasha, try to make Bridget look silly in front of Mark. How does their mockery of Bridget advance the relationship between Bridget and Mark?
4. Which of the following is NOT given as a reason why Bridget should be interested in Mark?
5. Jude's suggestion that Bridget try to "go with the flow" is an example of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bridget become upset during dinner with the "Smug Marrieds" in February?
2. Identify the tone of the book as set by Bridget's New Year's resolution lists.
3. As Bridget's mum is interviewing Bridget for "Suddenly Single" Daniel walks out of Bridget's bedroom, surprising them all. Daniel's words and behaviors are friendly. However, how might Daniel's behavior be seen as disrespectful toward Bridget and her mum?
4. Does email help or hurt Bridget and Daniel's office flirtations in January?
5. In March, how does Daniel's behavior toward Bridget foreshadow their future together?
6. Identify the warning signs that Daniel does not want to take a mini-holiday with Bridget in June.
7. Explain what Bridget finds attractive about her boss, Daniel Cleaver.
8. Describe what is happening between Bridget's parents in February.
9. What problems do Bridget's New Year's resolutions address?
10. Describe how Bridget's "I Will" list may help her improve her life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bridget will be happiest with a man who accepts her as she is; someone who has the ability to appreciate her flaws, her insecurities, and her eccentricities. Ideally, she needs a person who will see who she is on the inside.
Explain why Mark Darcy might be looking for this same kind of acceptance.
Essay Topic 2
When Bridget begins working for "Good Afternoon!" she tries hard to perform to the best of her abilities. However, her achievements at work seem to make her the outsider. Bridget feels disliked by her coworkers both because of her age and because of her dedication.
1) Why does Bridget's dedication and success create harsh feelings toward her with her coworkers?
2) Why does age effect the way Bridget's coworkers view her?
3) Explain how Bridget overcomes these differences with her coworkers.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bridget and Jude. Explain how the two women are similar in their thoughts, feelings, and problems. Examine how they deal with relationships and identify any differences they might have.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)