|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bridget's mum want her to meet at the Buffet?
2. What resolution does Bridget break at the beginning of February?
3. What does Bridget's "I Will Not" list tell the reader about her character?
4. Bridget always knows that she will get love and support from ____________.
5. In the beginning of May, Bridget is worried about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason might Bridget have for not looking for a new job in April?
2. Why does Bridget become upset during dinner with the "Smug Marrieds" in February?
3. In June, the reader becomes more familiar with Daniel. Describe his character.
4. What problems do Bridget's New Year's resolutions address?
5. Why might the author create conflict in Magda and Jeremy's marriage?
6. Does email help or hurt Bridget and Daniel's office flirtations in January?
7. Describe what is happening between Bridget's parents in February.
8. What can the reader infer about Bridget's relationships with men by looking at her New Year's resolutions?
9. What is a "Smug Married"?
10. Describe how Bridget's "I Will" list may help her improve her life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bridget will be happiest with a man who accepts her as she is; someone who has the ability to appreciate her flaws, her insecurities, and her eccentricities. Ideally, she needs a person who will see who she is on the inside.
Explain why Mark Darcy might be looking for this same kind of acceptance.
Essay Topic 2
In April, Bridget and Jude briefly discuss Zen philosophy as a way to have "inner poise" and overcome obstacles. Bridget writes that if you are Zen, "instead of straining or becoming angry you should just relax and feel your way into the Flow and everything will work out."
Which of Bridget's character traits are at odds with the idea of Zen? How might those traits work against her?
Essay Topic 3
Bridget and her mum have an interesting, often troubled, relationship. However, there are times in the book when it is obvious that Bridget's mum cares and wants to see her daughter happy. Give 3 examples of times when Bridget's mum is concerned with Bridget's welfare. Explain how each example shows her mum's true feelings for Bridget.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)