|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bridget believe is the difference between being single in her 20s and being single in her 30s?
2. What does Bridget point out about Perpetua's opinions?
3. Why does Bridget consider her crush on Daniel Cleaver to be "pathetic"?
4. In the beginning of January, Bridget is woken up by a phone call from her mum. What does Bridget's mum really want when she calls?
5. Mood is the climate of feeling set by the author of a book. After reading Bridget's lists, what mood do you think Helen Fielding is trying to create in this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Bridget, what is "inner poise" and how can she achieve it?
2. What do Bridget and her mum have an unspoken competition over in March?
3. In May, Bridget reflects that relationships are complicated. What lessons should she learn from the problems in her friends' relationships?
4. Identify the warning signs that Daniel does not want to take a mini-holiday with Bridget in June.
5. In February, Bridget learns that her parents are having marital problems. How does she feel about this?
6. In March, how does Daniel's behavior toward Bridget foreshadow their future together?
7. Does email help or hurt Bridget and Daniel's office flirtations in January?
8. Explain how Bridget's mum convinces her to attend the New Year's Curry Turkey Buffet in January.
9. How does Bridget feel when she is questioned about her relationship status at the Turkey Curry Buffet?
10. Explain why Bridget is anxious to leave Harry's birthday party in March.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Bridget and Jude. Explain how the two women are similar in their thoughts, feelings, and problems. Examine how they deal with relationships and identify any differences they might have.
Essay Topic 2
Answer the following questions about Bridget's character. Make sure to support your answers with evidence from the text.
1) What are Bridget's good qualities?
2) What are Bridget's bad qualities?
3) What are Bridget's goals in life?
4) What is Bridget's motivation for reaching these goals?
5) What things conflict with Bridget's ability to achieve her goals?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the book, Bridget writes that Daniel is a playboy. As the book progresses, Bridget runs into more and more women whom Daniel has hurt and forgotten. In July, Bridget realizes that Daniel has been cheating on her with Suki, a woman opposite of Bridget in every way.
Analyze Daniel's participation in the relationship. Answer the following questions:
1) Considering Daniel's past - and present - interactions with women, why do you think he stays with Bridget for so long?
2) It becomes obvious that Daniel does not want to put in the effort required for a relationship, so why does he stay with Bridget?
3) Daniel eventually chooses Suki over Bridget. How is Suki a better fit for him?
4) Do you think Daniel ends up regretting his choice?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)