|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Tom's character in the book?
2. After Bridget accuses Daniel of giving mixed signals, what does Daniel accuse Bridget of being?
3. Why does Bridget consider her crush on Daniel Cleaver to be "pathetic"?
4. What are the mothers like at Harry's birthday party?
5. What does the February chapter foreshadow about Bridget and Daniel's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "Smug Married"?
2. Thanks to Rebecca, what new thing does Bridget begin to obsess over in June?
3. Why does Bridget become upset during dinner with the "Smug Marrieds" in February?
4. In March, how does Daniel's behavior toward Bridget foreshadow their future together?
5. Identify the tone of the book as set by Bridget's New Year's resolution lists.
6. According to Bridget, what is "inner poise" and how can she achieve it?
7. How are the items on Bridget's "I Will" list similar to the items on her "I Will Not" list?
8. Does the reality of Bridget's relationship with Daniel match her expectations of that relationship?
9. Describe how Bridget's "I Will" list may help her improve her life.
10. Review both of Bridget's New Year's resolution lists. What themes emerge from them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Bridget and Daniel become more involved in June, the reader begins to understand more of what Bridget expects in a relationship. Describe what Bridget's perfect relationship might look like. Remember to include evidence from the text to back up your thoughts. Is Bridget's 'perfect relationship' realistic?
Essay Topic 2
The building of a romantic relationship between Bridget and Mark is an important subplot of the book. Identify the following in the Bridget/Mark plot line:
2) Rising action.
4) Falling action.
Essay Topic 3
Answer the following questions about Bridget's character. Make sure to support your answers with evidence from the text.
1) What are Bridget's good qualities?
2) What are Bridget's bad qualities?
3) What are Bridget's goals in life?
4) What is Bridget's motivation for reaching these goals?
5) What things conflict with Bridget's ability to achieve her goals?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)