|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bridget is envious of her mum's power with men. What does mum envy about Bridget's life?
2. What does Bridget think when her mum snaps at her dad over lunch?
3. What does Bridget think about the possibility of being pregnant?
4. What is a "Smug Married"?
5. Where does Bridget meet her friends after work the day she and Daniel begin flirting by email?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Bridget's friends like?
2. Identify the warning signs that Daniel does not want to take a mini-holiday with Bridget in June.
3. Why is it ironic that Bridget's mum is enthusiastically hosting a television show titled "Suddenly Single"?
4. In March, how does Daniel's behavior toward Bridget foreshadow their future together?
5. Why does Magda encourage Bridget to enjoy being single when they see each other in May?
6. Why might the author create conflict in Magda and Jeremy's marriage?
7. What reason might Bridget have for not looking for a new job in April?
8. Describe the changes in Bridget's relationship with Daniel that take place in May.
9. Bridget's friends show up for her birthday dinner party armed with champagne and reservations for a restaurant. What do their gifts say about their friendship?
10. What do Bridget and her mum have an unspoken competition over in March?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bridget and her mum have an interesting, often troubled, relationship. However, there are times in the book when it is obvious that Bridget's mum cares and wants to see her daughter happy. Give 3 examples of times when Bridget's mum is concerned with Bridget's welfare. Explain how each example shows her mum's true feelings for Bridget.
Essay Topic 2
How do Perpetua and Natasha treat Bridget at the book-release party? How does Bridget handle the situation? What is the goal of their behavior? How does their treatment of Bridget provide Mark Darcy with an opportunity to connect with Bridget?
Essay Topic 3
The building of a romantic relationship between Bridget and Mark is an important subplot of the book. Identify the following in the Bridget/Mark plot line:
2) Rising action.
4) Falling action.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)