|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bridget resolves not to become annoyed with "Mum, Una Alconbury or Perpetua." What does this resolution foreshadow about Bridget's relationships with these women?
2. What is the assumption made about single people who are Bridget's age?
3. Why does Mark run to the buffet table after talking to Bridget?
4. What does Bridget point out about Perpetua's opinions?
5. How does email help Bridget and Daniel flirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does email help or hurt Bridget and Daniel's office flirtations in January?
2. How does Bridget feel when she is questioned about her relationship status at the Turkey Curry Buffet?
3. What problems do Bridget's New Year's resolutions address?
4. Describe how Bridget's "I Will" list may help her improve her life.
5. What is a "Smug Married"?
6. Bridget's friends show up for her birthday dinner party armed with champagne and reservations for a restaurant. What do their gifts say about their friendship?
7. Explain what Bridget finds attractive about her boss, Daniel Cleaver.
8. What do Bridget and her mum have an unspoken competition over in March?
9. Describe what is happening between Bridget's parents in February.
10. As Bridget's mum is interviewing Bridget for "Suddenly Single" Daniel walks out of Bridget's bedroom, surprising them all. Daniel's words and behaviors are friendly. However, how might Daniel's behavior be seen as disrespectful toward Bridget and her mum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the author's decision to include an end-of-the-year tally of Bridget's resolutions. What information is the author trying to get across? Does this help to create closure in the book? Would you know what was going on in Bridget's life without the end-of-the-year tally?
Essay Topic 2
When Bridget begins working for "Good Afternoon!" she tries hard to perform to the best of her abilities. However, her achievements at work seem to make her the outsider. Bridget feels disliked by her coworkers both because of her age and because of her dedication.
1) Why does Bridget's dedication and success create harsh feelings toward her with her coworkers?
2) Why does age effect the way Bridget's coworkers view her?
3) Explain how Bridget overcomes these differences with her coworkers.
Essay Topic 3
By the end of September, Bridget has worked for two different bosses, Daniel Cleaver and Richard Finch. Compare and contrast these two men in how they conduct themselves as bosses, men, and their treatment of Bridget.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)