|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jess resolve to tell Leslie in Chapter 10?
2. What is the rule at Lark Creek, which is more important than anything?
3. At the Smithsonian, which exhibit does Jess feel a “frightening sense of kinship” with (p.100)?
4. What does Brenda tell Jess about Leslie in Chapter 10?
5. What do Brenda and Ellie accuse Jess of the morning after finding out Leslie is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Jess’s sisters fighting about in Chapter 8?
2. What does Jess help Mr. Burke and Leslie do?
3. Why is Jess’ father home early in Chapter 10, and why is his family gathered around the table?
4. Describe how Jess and Leslie react differently to the rushing creek in Chapter 8.
5. Why does Mr. Burke find Jess so helpful?
6. When Jess wakes in the night in Chapter 11, what does he think has happened?
7. Why do Jess’s sisters accuse him of not caring about Leslie’s death?
8. How Jesse’s father is portrayed differently in Chapter 11? What does he do?
9. What does Jess resolve to talk to Leslie about in Chapter 10? What does he anticipate will be her reaction?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 9, Jess muses on the differences between his own mother and Judy, Leslie’s mother. What differences does he think about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is unsatisfying about Jess's relationship to his parents? Who, if anyone, is at fault for this? What needs to be done to improve the relationship? Does this happen in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Jess doesn’t have enough money to buy Leslie a Christmas present. He feels a lot of anxiety about making her something and keeps destroying the drawings that he creates. Why does Jess feel so much anxiety about Leslie’s gift? Why does it need to be perfect? What does it represent for Jess? What does he get her?
Essay Topic 3
What provokes Jess and Leslie to befriend Janice when they find her crying?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)