|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Janice Avery crying in Chapter 7?
2. What is Jess’ mother worried had happened in Chapter 10?
3. What does Leslie believe has caused the rain in Chapter 9?
4. What do Jess and Leslie see at the creek bed that leads them to Terabithia?
5. What does Jess resolve to tell Leslie in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though Jess does not want to go to Terabithia without Leslie in Chapter 7, he is reluctant to go home. Why?
2. What does Jess help Mr. Burke and Leslie do?
3. What is Leslie’s advice for Janice Avery in Chapter 7?
4. How Jesse’s father is portrayed differently in Chapter 11? What does he do?
5. Why is Jess’ father home early in Chapter 10, and why is his family gathered around the table?
6. What does Jess resolve to talk to Leslie about in Chapter 10? What does he anticipate will be her reaction?
7. Describe how Jess and Leslie react differently to the rushing creek in Chapter 8.
8. Why is Jesse upset that Leslie is being cremated?
9. Why is Jess in such a hurry to get out of his house the morning that Miss Edmunds’ invites him to Washington D.C.?
10. Even though Leslie was a strong swimmer, how is it plausible that she drowned? What do the adults and authorities think happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leslie and Jess live in drastically different households. Compare Leslie’s relationship with her parents to the relationship that Jess has with his. In Chapter 4, Jess feels uncomfortable when he learns that Leslie calls her parents by their first names, why is this?
Essay Topic 2
Jess is resentful of his older sisters and the relationship they have with their mother. What is the cause of this tension? How does his relationship differ with his mother compared to his older sisters? How does his mother treat him? How are expectations different for the children?
Essay Topic 3
Jess enjoys spending time at Terabithia and with Leslie at her house. Jess avoids going home as much as possible. Why doesn’t Jess like being at home? What happens when he is at home?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)