|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jess’s father have to remind him in Chapter 11?
2. What does Leslie question Jess about in Chapter 8?
3. Who is the only one at the table whose head isn’t down in Chapter 11?
4. Why is Janice Avery crying in Chapter 7?
5. In Chapter 9, when did the rain begin again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jess want to help Janice Avery? What does this say about his
2. What is different about the creek bed in Chapter 8?
3. Why does Mr. Burke find Jess so helpful?
4. What does Jess resolve to talk to Leslie about in Chapter 10? What does he anticipate will be her reaction?
5. Why does Jess describe his day with Miss Edmunds as the “perfect day”?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 9, Jess muses on the differences between his own mother and Judy, Leslie’s mother. What differences does he think about?
7. Why doesn’t Jess’s mom buy her daughers new clothes for Easter Sunday?
8. Describe how Jess and Leslie react differently to the rushing creek in Chapter 8.
9. Even though Leslie was a strong swimmer, how is it plausible that she drowned? What do the adults and authorities think happened?
10. Why is Jess in such a hurry to get out of his house the morning that Miss Edmunds’ invites him to Washington D.C.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jess enjoys spending time at Terabithia and with Leslie at her house. Jess avoids going home as much as possible. Why doesn’t Jess like being at home? What happens when he is at home?
Essay Topic 2
What does it mean to Jess when he makes the funeral wreath in Leslie's memory? What does his experience with May Belle over the creek mean to him?
Essay Topic 3
Jess believes that he’s always received less affection than his sisters. More than anything he wants to be able to hug and kiss his father like his younger sisters. Why does Jess feel too old for this? How do his parents treat him differently than his sisters? Why?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)