|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins all of the races the first week of school?
2. When does Jess see Leslie again after their initial meeting in the cow pasture?
3. Who in real life scares Jess and Leslie?
4. What does May Belle tell Jess in Chapter 1 about the Perkins’ place?
5. What do Leslie’s parents do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the teachers hate Fridays? What does this suggest about his school?
2. How does Jess’s mother treat him the day he helps her can beans?
3. Why does Jess make dinner for his younger sisters? What does he make?
4. Why doesn’t Jess want anyone to know that he is running?
5. Why is Jess anxious about making something for Leslie’s Christmas gift?
6. What does Katherine Paterson mean when, on page 3, Jess is described as having more grit than any other 10-year-old?
7. Why isn’t running fun for the boys anymore in Chapter 4?
8. Why does Jess ignore Leslie during recess in Chapter 3?
9. Why does May Belle call Jess “yeller”?
10. What does Jess want from his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is unsatisfying about Jess's relationship to his parents? Who, if anyone, is at fault for this? What needs to be done to improve the relationship? Does this happen in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What are Jess's immediate reactions to Leslie's death? How normal are they? What would happen if he did not go through them?
Essay Topic 3
Jess enjoys spending time at Terabithia and with Leslie at her house. Jess avoids going home as much as possible. Why doesn’t Jess like being at home? What happens when he is at home?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)