|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jess and Leslie name Leslie’s puppy?
2. What do Leslie’s parents do for a living?
3. What is Jess’s teacher’s name?
4. How old is May Belle?
5. What grade is Jess going in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jess want to do with his drawings, as described in Chapter 3?
2. Why are the other teachers critical of Miss Edmunds’ appearance?
3. What motivates Jess to smile at Leslie in Chapter 4?
4. Why does Jess run every morning during his summer vacation?
5. Why does Jess blame Leslie for the boys no longer wanting to race?
6. Why doesn’t Jess want anyone to know that he is running?
7. Who acts like a bully in Chapter 5?
8. Why is Jess anxious about making something for Leslie’s Christmas gift?
9. How does Jess get peace in the evenings?
10. How do Jess’ sisters manipulate his mother into giving them money for school shopping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jess believes that he’s always received less affection than his sisters. More than anything he wants to be able to hug and kiss his father like his younger sisters. Why does Jess feel too old for this? How do his parents treat him differently than his sisters? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Lark Creek Elementary School does not have enough sports equipment for all the students. Likewise, Jess describes his house as “rattly” and the surrounding properties as downtrodden and worn. What does this suggest about the neighborhood and community where Jess is living?
Essay Topic 3
Leslie and Jess live in drastically different households. Compare Leslie’s relationship with her parents to the relationship that Jess has with his. In Chapter 4, Jess feels uncomfortable when he learns that Leslie calls her parents by their first names, why is this?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)