• Jess wakes up early every morning of summer vacation to run. He wants to return to school the fastest boy in the fifth grade.
• Jess has four sisters. May Belle, the youngest, idolizes Jess.
• In the opening chapter, May Belle calls Jess in for breakfast from his run. During breakfast Jess’ sister’s Ellie and Brenda convince their mother to give them five dollars - supposedly promised by their father - for school shopping.
• Jess is left to help his mother work by milking the cow and picking the beans.
• May Belle tells Jess that someone is moving into the old Perkins house.
• Ellie and Brenda don’t return home until after seven in the evening. This leaves Jess to help his mother with the picking and canning of the beans.
• Jess’s mother is tired and irritable, screaming at him while he helps her.
This section contains 1,959 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)