|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Celia conduct whilse on the ocean liner?
2. In what month will Julia's divorce be final?
3. Who does Lord Marchmain call for when he sees the priest?
4. Lord Marchmain suffers from ________.
5. Who does Julia visit in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the Catholic religion. Where does it originate? What influence has it had on politics and peoples' ideas about how they should live? Why do you think there have problems between the Catholic and Protestant faiths. What are the main differences between Catholicism and Protestantism?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Brideshead Revisited setting. Why did Waugh use a fictional setting? Is Brideshead based on any real-life setting? How would the story's meaning change if he did use a real-life setting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1940's.
1) Why was religion and nostalgia such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters a product of their time? Do you think Britain was going through a transitional phase in the the 1940s? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with the 1940s?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)