|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Charles telegraph the information about Sebastian?
2. Why are Bridey and Beryl in Rome?
3. Why did Julia go to America?
4. What has put a strain on Charles and Celia's marriage?
5. How many children does Beryl Muspratt have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is partly set in London.
1) What meaning does London bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that is set in London?
2) How different do you think today's London is to the London in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's London?
3) How do you think the interior settings of the novel contribute to the novel's dark atmosphere?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Waugh's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Look at the state of the world before the Second World War. Which countries were in power? Which countries were oppressed? What was the state of the world's economy? What kind of environment allowed for such a war and such radical opinion to be accepted by people?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)