|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Jack and his wife encounter Scratchy?
2. How does the author describe the walking pattern of the couple heading toward home?
3. What did the color of the wood on the train look like?
4. How does Scratchy secure the piece of paper that he shoots at?
5. What does Jack do with his suitcase when he sees Scratchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Scratchy finally fire at the windows of the bar like the barkeeper thought he would? Is it good that everyone inside took cover?
2. Judging from the bride's reaction, do you think she's ever been faced with anything like this before? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about her home in San Antonio?
3. What is Apache scalp music? Why does Scratchy walk to Jack's house humming this music?
4. When Jack encounters Scratchy, does he show fear? Why do you think that?
5. What is Scratchy's reaction to Jack telling him that he's married?
6. Does Jack Potter seem unafraid? Why? Does he know that Scratchy will not shoot him? Or does he feel he is ready if he is shot? Does Jack understand that Scratchy will have some ethics involved here?
7. What is the significance of the funnel-shaped tracks left by Scratchy's feet as he walks away from Jack and his wife?
8. Why would Jack not carry a gun on the day he is married?
9. When the bride and groom round the corner and meet Scratchy, what is Jack about to do? How would this scene have been different if Scratchy hadn't been there?
10. How does Scratchy react to the closed door of the Weary Gentleman? Is this a ritual? Has this happened before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the station master? What role is he playing for the bride and groom? Why do they not want to talk to him? Why do they dodge him?
Essay Topic 2
What clues in the story give you the idea that the couple knew each other well? How do they appear comfortable with each other? What do they already know about each other? What gives you the idea that they have written to each other for some time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the drummer and his role in the story. Without the drummer and the barkeeper, how would the reader know what is about to take place? Can you imagine this scene without these two men talking?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)