|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the couple sometimes laugh together as they walk to their home?
2. Where does Scratchy accuse Jack of coming from with no weapon?
3. What is the barkeeper's dog doing when Scratchy approaches?
4. How does Scratchy think he will get jack Potter to come out for a fight?
5. What is Scratchy's reaction when he realizes he has Jack cornered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scratchy do with the piece of paper he found? What is he practicing? Could this be dangerous?
2. When Jack thinks back to the Pullman and all its beauty, what is this a symbol of?
3. What is the significance of the funnel-shaped tracks left by Scratchy's feet as he walks away from Jack and his wife?
4. When the bride and groom round the corner and meet Scratchy, what is Jack about to do? How would this scene have been different if Scratchy hadn't been there?
5. When Scratchy says, "there ain't a man his Texas that don't have a gun" do you think that's true? Think back to the scene in the bar. Did everyone have a gun?
6. Does Scratchy finally fire at the windows of the bar like the barkeeper thought he would? Is it good that everyone inside took cover?
7. Why would Jack not carry a gun on the day he is married?
8. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
9. Does Jack Potter seem unafraid? Why? Does he know that Scratchy will not shoot him? Or does he feel he is ready if he is shot? Does Jack understand that Scratchy will have some ethics involved here?
10. Do you think the dog has been shot before? Why did he not move when he heard Scratchy coming up the street?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the porters as characters. Do you think being a porter was a good job at this time? Do you think they traveled? How do they regard the couple? Why? Why do they feel superior to this couple?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think the town WILL react to the couple's marriage? Is Scratchy's reaction a way to gauge the town's reaction? Will the town be stunned as Scratchy is?
Essay Topic 3
What does the appearance of the bride and groom tell the reader about their wedding? What information does the author give us about the couple's wedding morning? Do you think they wore the clothes they have on in the train to be married? Why? Why not? How much luggage is the couple traveling with? What does this tell us?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)