|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Scratchy's little fingers move with the revolvers?
2. What does Scratchy do when he arrives at Jack's house?
3. Why is Jack not armed on his wedding day?
4. When does Scratchy first notice the bride?
5. When nobody appears at Jack's house to fight, what is Scratchy's reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Scratchy shoots twice and misses. Once at the paper and once at the dog. Do you think he misses the dog of purpose? Is he just trying to scare the dog? What about the paper?
2. Judging from Scratchy's question about Sunday School, do you think men in Yellow Sky carry guns to church?
3. Why does the couple walk quickly to get to Jack's house? What are they afraid of? If they had not been so afraid, could they have avoided trouble?
4. What does the stillness and silence of the city signify? Why does the author state that the silence was like the "arch of a tomb" over Scratchy's head?
5. The author alludes to fighting 200 Mexicans. What does this tell us about the history of Yellow Sky?
6. When the bride and groom round the corner and meet Scratchy, what is Jack about to do? How would this scene have been different if Scratchy hadn't been there?
7. What does Scratchy do with the piece of paper he found? What is he practicing? Could this be dangerous?
8. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
9. The author writes that Jack's house looks at Scratchy like a great stone god. What is the symbolism of this?
10. Does Scratchy introduce himself to Jack's new wife? Why? Why not? How does he feel when he realizes that he is confronted with Jack's wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the drummer and his role in the story. Without the drummer and the barkeeper, how would the reader know what is about to take place? Can you imagine this scene without these two men talking?
Essay Topic 2
What questions are left unanswered in this story? Think back to the first chapter. What is left unresolved? What questions are never answered? Can we answer them? Can we imagine what will happen next?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Scratchy so amazed that Jack is not armed? What does this tell the reader about guns in this time? Do you think Jack is usually armed in his job? What about others in the town?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)