|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe the fact that Jack has trouble speaking when he sees Scratchy?
2. Why is Jack not armed on his wedding day?
3. Who else would wear boots like Scratchy's ?
4. Scratcy's yelling is met by what on Main Street?
5. What does Scratchy do when he sees Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scratchy react to the closed door of the Weary Gentleman? Is this a ritual? Has this happened before?
2. Does Scratchy introduce himself to Jack's new wife? Why? Why not? How does he feel when he realizes that he is confronted with Jack's wife?
3. What is Apache scalp music? Why does Scratchy walk to Jack's house humming this music?
4. Why does the couple walk quickly to get to Jack's house? What are they afraid of? If they had not been so afraid, could they have avoided trouble?
5. When Jack encounters Scratchy, does he show fear? Why do you think that?
6. Does Scratchy finally fire at the windows of the bar like the barkeeper thought he would? Is it good that everyone inside took cover?
7. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
8. Scratchy is described as a "wonder" with a gun, and, even drunk, seems to have amazing command of his weapons. What do you think Scratchy would shoot like sober? Does this tell the reader something about the kind of gun-fighter he used to be?
9. What is the significance of the funnel-shaped tracks left by Scratchy's feet as he walks away from Jack and his wife?
10. Judging from Scratchy's question about Sunday School, do you think men in Yellow Sky carry guns to church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Scratchy so amazed that Jack is not armed? What does this tell the reader about guns in this time? Do you think Jack is usually armed in his job? What about others in the town?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Scratchy is still a threat at the end of the story? Do you think he will do this again? Why? Why not? Do you think this situation changed forever? Do you think this is the end of gunfighting in this town? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the appearance of the bride and groom tell the reader about their wedding? What information does the author give us about the couple's wedding morning? Do you think they wore the clothes they have on in the train to be married? Why? Why not? How much luggage is the couple traveling with? What does this tell us?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)