|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of structures are built along main street?
2. When Scratchy walks away from the couple, what shape do his footprints make in the dirt?
3. When Scratchy confronts Jack, how much does Jack move backwards?
4. How does Scratchy get to Jack's house?
5. Where does the dog go to avoid Scratchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Apache scalp music? Why does Scratchy walk to Jack's house humming this music?
2. Does Scratchy introduce himself to Jack's new wife? Why? Why not? How does he feel when he realizes that he is confronted with Jack's wife?
3. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
4. Do you think the dog has been shot before? Why did he not move when he heard Scratchy coming up the street?
5. When Jack encounters Scratchy, does he show fear? Why do you think that?
6. Why would Jack not carry a gun on the day he is married?
7. The author alludes to fighting 200 Mexicans. What does this tell us about the history of Yellow Sky?
8. What is the significance of the funnel-shaped tracks left by Scratchy's feet as he walks away from Jack and his wife?
9. Why does the couple walk quickly to get to Jack's house? What are they afraid of? If they had not been so afraid, could they have avoided trouble?
10. How does Scratchy react to the closed door of the Weary Gentleman? Is this a ritual? Has this happened before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the fittings on the train with the fittings on the armor under the bar. What are the similarities? Differences? Why do you think the author described the fittings under the bar so carefully?
Essay Topic 2
How is this story like other westerns you've read? What is the same? What is different? What about the hero and the foe? How are they the same? Different? What about the ending? Did you expect this ending? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3
What clues in the story give you the idea that the couple knew each other well? How do they appear comfortable with each other? What do they already know about each other? What gives you the idea that they have written to each other for some time?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)