|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the newly married couple walking with their heads low?
2. At the end of Chapter 3 Scratchy is in the deepest rage over what?
3. The long revolvers on Scratchy's hands are as easy as what?
4. How does Scratchy secure the piece of paper that he shoots at?
5. Where does Scratchy accuse Jack of coming from with no weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Scratchy finally fire at the windows of the bar like the barkeeper thought he would? Is it good that everyone inside took cover?
2. Do you think the dog has been shot before? Why did he not move when he heard Scratchy coming up the street?
3. Judging from Scratchy's question about Sunday School, do you think men in Yellow Sky carry guns to church?
4. The author alludes to fighting 200 Mexicans. What does this tell us about the history of Yellow Sky?
5. When Jack thinks back to the Pullman and all its beauty, what is this a symbol of?
6. When Jack encounters Scratchy, does he show fear? Why do you think that?
7. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
8. What is Scratchy's reaction to Jack telling him that he's married?
9. What does Scratchy do with the piece of paper he found? What is he practicing? Could this be dangerous?
10. What does the stillness and silence of the city signify? Why does the author state that the silence was like the "arch of a tomb" over Scratchy's head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is described that the man sits on the train with one hand on each knee like he's waiting for a barber. What does the author mean by this? What is he trying to tell the reader about the character? How would the man usually sit if he were a regular traveler?
Essay Topic 2
What clues in the story give you the idea that the couple knew each other well? How do they appear comfortable with each other? What do they already know about each other? What gives you the idea that they have written to each other for some time?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the fittings on the train with the fittings on the armor under the bar. What are the similarities? Differences? Why do you think the author described the fittings under the bar so carefully?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)