|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the cords of Scratchy's neck do?
2. What does Jack think of when he is faced with the barrel of Scratchy's gun?
3. How does Scratchy secure the piece of paper that he shoots at?
4. What does Scratchy hold in each hand?
5. How do Jack and his wife walk through the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scratchy react to the closed door of the Weary Gentleman? Is this a ritual? Has this happened before?
2. Scratchy shoots twice and misses. Once at the paper and once at the dog. Do you think he misses the dog of purpose? Is he just trying to scare the dog? What about the paper?
3. What is Apache scalp music? Why does Scratchy walk to Jack's house humming this music?
4. Does Jack Potter seem unafraid? Why? Does he know that Scratchy will not shoot him? Or does he feel he is ready if he is shot? Does Jack understand that Scratchy will have some ethics involved here?
5. Judging from Scratchy's question about Sunday School, do you think men in Yellow Sky carry guns to church?
6. What are all of the houses made of? What does this tell us about the area? What kind of weather do they encounter? What heritage do the Texans have?
7. The author alludes to fighting 200 Mexicans. What does this tell us about the history of Yellow Sky?
8. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
9. Does Scratchy finally fire at the windows of the bar like the barkeeper thought he would? Is it good that everyone inside took cover?
10. The author writes that Jack's house looks at Scratchy like a great stone god. What is the symbolism of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is this story like other westerns you've read? What is the same? What is different? What about the hero and the foe? How are they the same? Different? What about the ending? Did you expect this ending? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the Rio Grande river? It is described as "fresh-cut." Why? Why is the river important to the town?
Essay Topic 3
How is Jack's job dependent upon gunfighters still being around? How will Jack's job change once this threat to society is gone?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)