|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the dog go to avoid Scratchy?
2. Why can't Scratchy believe that Jack is unarmed?
3. What color shirt is Scratchy wearing?
4. Why does Jack not have gun?
5. How does Scratchy secure the piece of paper that he shoots at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Scratchy shoots twice and misses. Once at the paper and once at the dog. Do you think he misses the dog of purpose? Is he just trying to scare the dog? What about the paper?
2. Scratchy is described as a "wonder" with a gun, and, even drunk, seems to have amazing command of his weapons. What do you think Scratchy would shoot like sober? Does this tell the reader something about the kind of gun-fighter he used to be?
3. Does Scratchy introduce himself to Jack's new wife? Why? Why not? How does he feel when he realizes that he is confronted with Jack's wife?
4. Does Scratchy finally fire at the windows of the bar like the barkeeper thought he would? Is it good that everyone inside took cover?
5. The author alludes to fighting 200 Mexicans. What does this tell us about the history of Yellow Sky?
6. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
7. Upon encountering Scratchy what does Jack do that gives the reader the idea that he's been in tough spots before? What does he do by instinct alone?
8. When Jack thinks back to the Pullman and all its beauty, what is this a symbol of?
9. What does Scratchy do with the piece of paper he found? What is he practicing? Could this be dangerous?
10. Why would Jack not carry a gun on the day he is married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What clues in the story give you the idea that the couple knew each other well? How do they appear comfortable with each other? What do they already know about each other? What gives you the idea that they have written to each other for some time?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between this story and other westerns? Who is the villain? Who is fighting the villain? Without a foe, where can this story go?
Essay Topic 3
What questions are left unanswered in this story? Think back to the first chapter. What is left unresolved? What questions are never answered? Can we answer them? Can we imagine what will happen next?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)