|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Scratchy get to Jack's house?
2. Why is the newly married couple walking with their heads low?
3. How does the author describe Scratchy's reaction to Jack's marriage?
4. When Scratchy walks away from the couple, what shape do his footprints make in the dirt?
5. After Scratchy shoots at the paper, what does he shoot next?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think the dog has been shot before? Why did he not move when he heard Scratchy coming up the street?
2. What is Apache scalp music? Why does Scratchy walk to Jack's house humming this music?
3. Judging from Scratchy's question about Sunday School, do you think men in Yellow Sky carry guns to church?
4. Why does Jack remind Scratchy that he didn't make the trouble?
5. When Jack thinks back to the Pullman and all its beauty, what is this a symbol of?
6. What does Scratchy do with the piece of paper he found? What is he practicing? Could this be dangerous?
7. What is Scratchy's reaction to Jack telling him that he's married?
8. Why does the couple walk quickly to get to Jack's house? What are they afraid of? If they had not been so afraid, could they have avoided trouble?
9. When the bride and groom round the corner and meet Scratchy, what is Jack about to do? How would this scene have been different if Scratchy hadn't been there?
10. When Scratchy says, "there ain't a man his Texas that don't have a gun" do you think that's true? Think back to the scene in the bar. Did everyone have a gun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the town Scratchy's friend or foe? How does Scratchy view the town? What is the town to him? Why does he regard the town in this way?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the station master? What role is he playing for the bride and groom? Why do they not want to talk to him? Why do they dodge him?
Essay Topic 3
What does the appearance of the bride and groom tell the reader about their wedding? What information does the author give us about the couple's wedding morning? Do you think they wore the clothes they have on in the train to be married? Why? Why not? How much luggage is the couple traveling with? What does this tell us?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)