|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Scratchy believe that Jack is unarmed?
2. When Scratchy confronts Jack, how much does Jack move backwards?
3. What kind of structures are built along main street?
4. When does the dog break into a gallop?
5. What did the color of the wood on the train look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stillness and silence of the city signify? Why does the author state that the silence was like the "arch of a tomb" over Scratchy's head?
2. When the bride and groom round the corner and meet Scratchy, what is Jack about to do? How would this scene have been different if Scratchy hadn't been there?
3. Judging from the bride's reaction, do you think she's ever been faced with anything like this before? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about her home in San Antonio?
4. Why would Jack not carry a gun on the day he is married?
5. Why does the couple walk quickly to get to Jack's house? What are they afraid of? If they had not been so afraid, could they have avoided trouble?
6. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
7. What are all of the houses made of? What does this tell us about the area? What kind of weather do they encounter? What heritage do the Texans have?
8. Judging from Scratchy's question about Sunday School, do you think men in Yellow Sky carry guns to church?
9. Does Jack Potter seem unafraid? Why? Does he know that Scratchy will not shoot him? Or does he feel he is ready if he is shot? Does Jack understand that Scratchy will have some ethics involved here?
10. When Jack thinks back to the Pullman and all its beauty, what is this a symbol of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the scenery out the train window and the encounter with Scratchy at the end of the story have in common? What does each scene tell us about the future of the Old West?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the station master? What role is he playing for the bride and groom? Why do they not want to talk to him? Why do they dodge him?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the couple run home? Why do they not want to see anybody on the way? What are they afraid will happen?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)