|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Jack and his wife walk through the town?
2. What does the dog do when he finally sees Scratchy?
3. Why does Jack not have gun?
4. When Scratchy walks away from the couple, what shape do his footprints make in the dirt?
5. What does Jack say to Scratchy that gets him to pause?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scratchy do with the piece of paper he found? What is he practicing? Could this be dangerous?
2. Upon encountering Scratchy what does Jack do that gives the reader the idea that he's been in tough spots before? What does he do by instinct alone?
3. Why does Jack remind Scratchy that he didn't make the trouble?
4. The author alludes to fighting 200 Mexicans. What does this tell us about the history of Yellow Sky?
5. Judging from the bride's reaction, do you think she's ever been faced with anything like this before? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about her home in San Antonio?
6. Why would Jack not carry a gun on the day he is married?
7. Scratchy is described as a "wonder" with a gun, and, even drunk, seems to have amazing command of his weapons. What do you think Scratchy would shoot like sober? Does this tell the reader something about the kind of gun-fighter he used to be?
8. The author writes that Jack's house looks at Scratchy like a great stone god. What is the symbolism of this?
9. What is Apache scalp music? Why does Scratchy walk to Jack's house humming this music?
10. Does Scratchy finally fire at the windows of the bar like the barkeeper thought he would? Is it good that everyone inside took cover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the new train station and wooden platform with the old town. Why is the train station new? What does this tell the reader about progress in the town of Yellow Sky?
Essay Topic 2
What questions are left unanswered in this story? Think back to the first chapter. What is left unresolved? What questions are never answered? Can we answer them? Can we imagine what will happen next?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think the town WILL react to the couple's marriage? Is Scratchy's reaction a way to gauge the town's reaction? Will the town be stunned as Scratchy is?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)