|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scratchy hold in each hand?
2. Scratchy walks with the creeping movement of what?
3. When do Jack and his wife encounter Scratchy?
4. When he fires at the paper, how much does he miss it by?
5. What does the stillness of the town form over Scratchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are all of the houses made of? What does this tell us about the area? What kind of weather do they encounter? What heritage do the Texans have?
2. What does Scratchy do with the piece of paper he found? What is he practicing? Could this be dangerous?
3. Does Jack Potter seem unafraid? Why? Does he know that Scratchy will not shoot him? Or does he feel he is ready if he is shot? Does Jack understand that Scratchy will have some ethics involved here?
4. The author alludes to fighting 200 Mexicans. What does this tell us about the history of Yellow Sky?
5. Why does Jack remind Scratchy that he didn't make the trouble?
6. Upon encountering Scratchy what does Jack do that gives the reader the idea that he's been in tough spots before? What does he do by instinct alone?
7. Do you think the dog has been shot before? Why did he not move when he heard Scratchy coming up the street?
8. When Scratchy says, "there ain't a man his Texas that don't have a gun" do you think that's true? Think back to the scene in the bar. Did everyone have a gun?
9. Scratchy is described as a "wonder" with a gun, and, even drunk, seems to have amazing command of his weapons. What do you think Scratchy would shoot like sober? Does this tell the reader something about the kind of gun-fighter he used to be?
10. Why does the couple walk quickly to get to Jack's house? What are they afraid of? If they had not been so afraid, could they have avoided trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the station master? What role is he playing for the bride and groom? Why do they not want to talk to him? Why do they dodge him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the porters as characters. Do you think being a porter was a good job at this time? Do you think they traveled? How do they regard the couple? Why? Why do they feel superior to this couple?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Scratchy so amazed that Jack is not armed? What does this tell the reader about guns in this time? Do you think Jack is usually armed in his job? What about others in the town?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)