|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Scratchy confronts Jack, how much does Jack move backwards?
2. What does Jack think of when he is faced with the barrel of Scratchy's gun?
3. What is the barkeeper's dog doing when Scratchy approaches?
4. Why is Scratchy's face red?
5. How does Scratchy's little fingers move with the revolvers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the gunman's anger? Describe the muscles in his neck. What are they doing? How does he look?
2. The author writes that Jack's house looks at Scratchy like a great stone god. What is the symbolism of this?
3. Does Scratchy finally fire at the windows of the bar like the barkeeper thought he would? Is it good that everyone inside took cover?
4. What does Scratchy's attire tell the reader about him?
5. When Jack thinks back to the Pullman and all its beauty, what is this a symbol of?
6. Judging from Scratchy's question about Sunday School, do you think men in Yellow Sky carry guns to church?
7. What is Scratchy's reaction to Jack telling him that he's married?
8. When Jack encounters Scratchy, does he show fear? Why do you think that?
9. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
10. Scratchy is described as a "wonder" with a gun, and, even drunk, seems to have amazing command of his weapons. What do you think Scratchy would shoot like sober? Does this tell the reader something about the kind of gun-fighter he used to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between this story and other westerns? Who is the villain? Who is fighting the villain? Without a foe, where can this story go?
Essay Topic 2
What does the scenery out the train window and the encounter with Scratchy at the end of the story have in common? What does each scene tell us about the future of the Old West?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Scratchy so amazed that Jack is not armed? What does this tell the reader about guns in this time? Do you think Jack is usually armed in his job? What about others in the town?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)