|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the barkeeper's dog doing when Scratchy approaches?
2. What orders about moving does Scratchy shoot at jack?
3. How does Scratchy secure the piece of paper that he shoots at?
4. What does the dog do when he finally sees Scratchy?
5. How does the author describe the walking pattern of the couple heading toward home?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author writes that Jack's house looks at Scratchy like a great stone god. What is the symbolism of this?
2. How does the author describe the gunman's anger? Describe the muscles in his neck. What are they doing? How does he look?
3. Upon encountering Scratchy what does Jack do that gives the reader the idea that he's been in tough spots before? What does he do by instinct alone?
4. When Scratchy says, "there ain't a man his Texas that don't have a gun" do you think that's true? Think back to the scene in the bar. Did everyone have a gun?
5. What are all of the houses made of? What does this tell us about the area? What kind of weather do they encounter? What heritage do the Texans have?
6. What is the significance of the funnel-shaped tracks left by Scratchy's feet as he walks away from Jack and his wife?
7. Judging from the bride's reaction, do you think she's ever been faced with anything like this before? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about her home in San Antonio?
8. When Jack encounters Scratchy, does he show fear? Why do you think that?
9. Does Jack Potter seem unafraid? Why? Does he know that Scratchy will not shoot him? Or does he feel he is ready if he is shot? Does Jack understand that Scratchy will have some ethics involved here?
10. Judging from Scratchy's question about Sunday School, do you think men in Yellow Sky carry guns to church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the town Scratchy's friend or foe? How does Scratchy view the town? What is the town to him? Why does he regard the town in this way?
Essay Topic 2
What does the appearance of the bride and groom tell the reader about their wedding? What information does the author give us about the couple's wedding morning? Do you think they wore the clothes they have on in the train to be married? Why? Why not? How much luggage is the couple traveling with? What does this tell us?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the station master? What role is he playing for the bride and groom? Why do they not want to talk to him? Why do they dodge him?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)