|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the country are Scratchy's boots from?
2. What kind of structures are built along main street?
3. Scratchy walks with the creeping movement of what?
4. What does Scratchy do with the weapon he is trying to load when he sees Jack?
5. How does the couple sometimes laugh together as they walk to their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Judging from Scratchy's question about Sunday School, do you think men in Yellow Sky carry guns to church?
2. Scratchy shoots twice and misses. Once at the paper and once at the dog. Do you think he misses the dog of purpose? Is he just trying to scare the dog? What about the paper?
3. The author writes that Jack's house looks at Scratchy like a great stone god. What is the symbolism of this?
4. Why does Jack remind Scratchy that he didn't make the trouble?
5. When Jack thinks back to the Pullman and all its beauty, what is this a symbol of?
6. What is Scratchy's reaction to Jack telling him that he's married?
7. When Scratchy says, "there ain't a man his Texas that don't have a gun" do you think that's true? Think back to the scene in the bar. Did everyone have a gun?
8. When Jack encounters Scratchy, does he show fear? Why do you think that?
9. What are all of the houses made of? What does this tell us about the area? What kind of weather do they encounter? What heritage do the Texans have?
10. When the bride and groom round the corner and meet Scratchy, what is Jack about to do? How would this scene have been different if Scratchy hadn't been there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Scratchy so amazed that Jack is not armed? What does this tell the reader about guns in this time? Do you think Jack is usually armed in his job? What about others in the town?
Essay Topic 2
How is this story like other westerns you've read? What is the same? What is different? What about the hero and the foe? How are they the same? Different? What about the ending? Did you expect this ending? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3
What clues in the story give you the idea that the couple knew each other well? How do they appear comfortable with each other? What do they already know about each other? What gives you the idea that they have written to each other for some time?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)