|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the dog go to avoid Scratchy?
2. Why is Jack not armed on his wedding day?
3. Why can't Scratchy believe that Jack is unarmed?
4. What does Jack say to Scratchy that gets him to pause?
5. What does Jack do with his suitcase when he sees Scratchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scratchy do with the piece of paper he found? What is he practicing? Could this be dangerous?
2. Does Jack Potter seem unafraid? Why? Does he know that Scratchy will not shoot him? Or does he feel he is ready if he is shot? Does Jack understand that Scratchy will have some ethics involved here?
3. Why does Jack remind Scratchy that he didn't make the trouble?
4. Does Scratchy introduce himself to Jack's new wife? Why? Why not? How does he feel when he realizes that he is confronted with Jack's wife?
5. When Scratchy says, "there ain't a man his Texas that don't have a gun" do you think that's true? Think back to the scene in the bar. Did everyone have a gun?
6. When the bride and groom round the corner and meet Scratchy, what is Jack about to do? How would this scene have been different if Scratchy hadn't been there?
7. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
8. Judging from the bride's reaction, do you think she's ever been faced with anything like this before? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about her home in San Antonio?
9. What does the stillness and silence of the city signify? Why does the author state that the silence was like the "arch of a tomb" over Scratchy's head?
10. What does Scratchy's attire tell the reader about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the information given in the story, where do you think Scratchy is from? What does the story tell us about his childhood? What clues does the author give us about his past with the gang?
Essay Topic 2
How is Jack's job dependent upon gunfighters still being around? How will Jack's job change once this threat to society is gone?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between this story and other westerns? Who is the villain? Who is fighting the villain? Without a foe, where can this story go?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)