|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the color of the tops of Scratchy's boots?
2. What part of the country are Scratchy's boots from?
3. When Scratchy walks away from the couple, what shape do his footprints make in the dirt?
4. What does Scratchy do with his weapons when he realizes that it is all over?
5. How does the author describe the walking pattern of the couple heading toward home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scratchy do with the piece of paper he found? What is he practicing? Could this be dangerous?
2. What does the stillness and silence of the city signify? Why does the author state that the silence was like the "arch of a tomb" over Scratchy's head?
3. The author alludes to fighting 200 Mexicans. What does this tell us about the history of Yellow Sky?
4. What does Scratchy's attire tell the reader about him?
5. What are all of the houses made of? What does this tell us about the area? What kind of weather do they encounter? What heritage do the Texans have?
6. What is Apache scalp music? Why does Scratchy walk to Jack's house humming this music?
7. When Jack thinks back to the Pullman and all its beauty, what is this a symbol of?
8. Does Scratchy introduce himself to Jack's new wife? Why? Why not? How does he feel when he realizes that he is confronted with Jack's wife?
9. Do you think the dog has been shot before? Why did he not move when he heard Scratchy coming up the street?
10. Judging from the bride's reaction, do you think she's ever been faced with anything like this before? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about her home in San Antonio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Scratchy so amazed that Jack is not armed? What does this tell the reader about guns in this time? Do you think Jack is usually armed in his job? What about others in the town?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Scratchy is still a threat at the end of the story? Do you think he will do this again? Why? Why not? Do you think this situation changed forever? Do you think this is the end of gunfighting in this town? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the scenery out the train window and the encounter with Scratchy at the end of the story have in common? What does each scene tell us about the future of the Old West?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)