|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jack not armed on his wedding day?
2. When Scratchy walks away from the couple, what shape do his footprints make in the dirt?
3. Where was the shirt made?
4. Who else would wear boots like Scratchy's ?
5. Where does the dog go to avoid Scratchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the couple walk quickly to get to Jack's house? What are they afraid of? If they had not been so afraid, could they have avoided trouble?
2. Does Scratchy introduce himself to Jack's new wife? Why? Why not? How does he feel when he realizes that he is confronted with Jack's wife?
3. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
4. When Jack encounters Scratchy, does he show fear? Why do you think that?
5. Scratchy is described as a "wonder" with a gun, and, even drunk, seems to have amazing command of his weapons. What do you think Scratchy would shoot like sober? Does this tell the reader something about the kind of gun-fighter he used to be?
6. Judging from the bride's reaction, do you think she's ever been faced with anything like this before? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about her home in San Antonio?
7. What is the significance of the funnel-shaped tracks left by Scratchy's feet as he walks away from Jack and his wife?
8. Scratchy shoots twice and misses. Once at the paper and once at the dog. Do you think he misses the dog of purpose? Is he just trying to scare the dog? What about the paper?
9. What does the stillness and silence of the city signify? Why does the author state that the silence was like the "arch of a tomb" over Scratchy's head?
10. What does Scratchy do with the piece of paper he found? What is he practicing? Could this be dangerous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What questions are left unanswered in this story? Think back to the first chapter. What is left unresolved? What questions are never answered? Can we answer them? Can we imagine what will happen next?
Essay Topic 2
How is Jack's job dependent upon gunfighters still being around? How will Jack's job change once this threat to society is gone?
Essay Topic 3
Is the town Scratchy's friend or foe? How does Scratchy view the town? What is the town to him? Why does he regard the town in this way?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)