|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jack tell Scratchy to shoot him now?
2. What was Jack's instinct when he is confronted by Scratchy?
3. What does Scratchy do with the weapon he is trying to load when he sees Jack?
4. What is the barkeeper's dog doing when Scratchy approaches?
5. What is Jack's wife's reaction to Scratchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Scratchy is described as a "wonder" with a gun, and, even drunk, seems to have amazing command of his weapons. What do you think Scratchy would shoot like sober? Does this tell the reader something about the kind of gun-fighter he used to be?
2. Does Scratchy finally fire at the windows of the bar like the barkeeper thought he would? Is it good that everyone inside took cover?
3. What are all of the houses made of? What does this tell us about the area? What kind of weather do they encounter? What heritage do the Texans have?
4. What does Scratchy do with the piece of paper he found? What is he practicing? Could this be dangerous?
5. When Jack thinks back to the Pullman and all its beauty, what is this a symbol of?
6. What does the stillness and silence of the city signify? Why does the author state that the silence was like the "arch of a tomb" over Scratchy's head?
7. Upon encountering Scratchy what does Jack do that gives the reader the idea that he's been in tough spots before? What does he do by instinct alone?
8. How does the author describe the gunman's anger? Describe the muscles in his neck. What are they doing? How does he look?
9. Why does Jack remind Scratchy that he didn't make the trouble?
10. How does Scratchy react to the closed door of the Weary Gentleman? Is this a ritual? Has this happened before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the Rio Grande river? It is described as "fresh-cut." Why? Why is the river important to the town?
Essay Topic 2
Is the town Scratchy's friend or foe? How does Scratchy view the town? What is the town to him? Why does he regard the town in this way?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think the town WILL react to the couple's marriage? Is Scratchy's reaction a way to gauge the town's reaction? Will the town be stunned as Scratchy is?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)