|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scratchy say when Jack tells him of his morning?
2. Where does Scratchy find the piece of paper?
3. When nobody appears at Jack's house to fight, what is Scratchy's reaction?
4. What is Scratchy doing when Jack and his wife spot him?
5. How does the author describe Scratchy's reaction to Jack's marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scratchy do with the piece of paper he found? What is he practicing? Could this be dangerous?
2. Judging from the bride's reaction, do you think she's ever been faced with anything like this before? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about her home in San Antonio?
3. Why does the couple walk quickly to get to Jack's house? What are they afraid of? If they had not been so afraid, could they have avoided trouble?
4. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
5. What does Scratchy's attire tell the reader about him?
6. How does Scratchy react to the closed door of the Weary Gentleman? Is this a ritual? Has this happened before?
7. Do you think the dog has been shot before? Why did he not move when he heard Scratchy coming up the street?
8. The author alludes to fighting 200 Mexicans. What does this tell us about the history of Yellow Sky?
9. What are all of the houses made of? What does this tell us about the area? What kind of weather do they encounter? What heritage do the Texans have?
10. What is Scratchy's reaction to Jack telling him that he's married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is described that the man sits on the train with one hand on each knee like he's waiting for a barber. What does the author mean by this? What is he trying to tell the reader about the character? How would the man usually sit if he were a regular traveler?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the Rio Grande river? It is described as "fresh-cut." Why? Why is the river important to the town?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think the town WILL react to the couple's marriage? Is Scratchy's reaction a way to gauge the town's reaction? Will the town be stunned as Scratchy is?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)