|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The long revolvers on Scratchy's hands are as easy as what?
2. What does Scratchy do when he arrives at Jack's house?
3. What color was the velvet on the train?
4. Why is Jack not armed on his wedding day?
5. Since nobody is opening the door to the bar, where does Scratchy decide to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scratchy's attire tell the reader about him?
2. Why does Jack remind Scratchy that he didn't make the trouble?
3. When Jack encounters Scratchy, does he show fear? Why do you think that?
4. What are all of the houses made of? What does this tell us about the area? What kind of weather do they encounter? What heritage do the Texans have?
5. The author writes that Jack's house looks at Scratchy like a great stone god. What is the symbolism of this?
6. What does Scratchy do with the piece of paper he found? What is he practicing? Could this be dangerous?
7. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
8. When the bride and groom round the corner and meet Scratchy, what is Jack about to do? How would this scene have been different if Scratchy hadn't been there?
9. Judging from the bride's reaction, do you think she's ever been faced with anything like this before? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about her home in San Antonio?
10. Does Scratchy finally fire at the windows of the bar like the barkeeper thought he would? Is it good that everyone inside took cover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the station master? What role is he playing for the bride and groom? Why do they not want to talk to him? Why do they dodge him?
Essay Topic 2
What does the scenery out the train window and the encounter with Scratchy at the end of the story have in common? What does each scene tell us about the future of the Old West?
Essay Topic 3
What questions are left unanswered in this story? Think back to the first chapter. What is left unresolved? What questions are never answered? Can we answer them? Can we imagine what will happen next?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)