|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the newly married couple walking with their heads low?
2. As Scratchy walks away from the bar, what is he humming?
3. What does Scratchy do with his weapons when he realizes that it is all over?
4. What is the color of the tops of Scratchy's boots?
5. Who is Jack Potter in the mind of Scratchy?
Essay Topic 1
How is this story like other westerns you've read? What is the same? What is different? What about the hero and the foe? How are they the same? Different? What about the ending? Did you expect this ending? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does the appearance of the bride and groom tell the reader about their wedding? What information does the author give us about the couple's wedding morning? Do you think they wore the clothes they have on in the train to be married? Why? Why not? How much luggage is the couple traveling with? What does this tell us?
Essay Topic 3
What does the scenery out the train window and the encounter with Scratchy at the end of the story have in common? What does each scene tell us about the future of the Old West?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)