|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 3 Scratchy is in the deepest rage over what?
2. What does Jack remind Scratchy of when he picks up his suitcase to part?
3. Scratcy's yelling is met by what on Main Street?
4. What is Scratchy doing when Jack and his wife spot him?
5. How does the author describe the walking pattern of the couple heading toward home?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the bride and groom round the corner and meet Scratchy, what is Jack about to do? How would this scene have been different if Scratchy hadn't been there?
2. Does Scratchy introduce himself to Jack's new wife? Why? Why not? How does he feel when he realizes that he is confronted with Jack's wife?
3. Judging from Scratchy's question about Sunday School, do you think men in Yellow Sky carry guns to church?
4. Why does Jack remind Scratchy that he didn't make the trouble?
5. The author alludes to fighting 200 Mexicans. What does this tell us about the history of Yellow Sky?
6. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
7. When Jack encounters Scratchy, does he show fear? Why do you think that?
8. Why does the couple walk quickly to get to Jack's house? What are they afraid of? If they had not been so afraid, could they have avoided trouble?
9. What is the significance of the funnel-shaped tracks left by Scratchy's feet as he walks away from Jack and his wife?
10. What is Scratchy's reaction to Jack telling him that he's married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the new train station and wooden platform with the old town. Why is the train station new? What does this tell the reader about progress in the town of Yellow Sky?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the fittings on the train with the fittings on the armor under the bar. What are the similarities? Differences? Why do you think the author described the fittings under the bar so carefully?
Essay Topic 3
Is the town Scratchy's friend or foe? How does Scratchy view the town? What is the town to him? Why does he regard the town in this way?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)