|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the barkeeper put the drummer?
2. Why does the bride become anxious?
3. How does Jack plan to tell the community of his news?
4. Who is the only person who will fight Scratchy?
5. On their wedding day, where does the couple eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of the town of Yellow Sky. What is Jack's position in the town? How is he viewed by others?
2. Jack shows his new bride the train with the pride of an owner. He lavishes expensive (for them) meals upon her. What does this tell us about their relationship and their future marriage?
3. At the opening of Chapter 2, describe the scene in the Weary Gentleman. What is the feeling? Is the town relaxed and pleasant? Why? Why not? What tensions do you feel at this point in the story?
4. Why does the author say the bride has cooked before? What gives the reader the clue to her background?
5. What is the author telling us by the use of the word "ain't" by the bride?
6. Describe the town. Detail the colors and textures as experienced by a visitor. Why do you think the story is set in this town?
7. How quickly do you think this couple made the decision to be married?
8. Why do all the men in the bar want to see Jack? What can he do that they can't? It appears nobody is really going to fight? Is there a real danger here?
9. Jack sits with a hand on each knee like a man waiting for a barber to cut his hair. What does this tell us about Jack?
10. What is the symbolism of the little silver watch? Why did Jack by this for his bride? What is this a symbol of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What questions are left unanswered in this story? Think back to the first chapter. What is left unresolved? What questions are never answered? Can we answer them? Can we imagine what will happen next?
Essay Topic 2
What clues in the story give you the idea that the couple knew each other well? How do they appear comfortable with each other? What do they already know about each other? What gives you the idea that they have written to each other for some time?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the couple run home? Why do they not want to see anybody on the way? What are they afraid will happen?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)