|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the dog keep lazy watch?
2. What are the people of Yellow Sky unaware of regarding Jack's life?
3. When the man comes to the door of the bar with his warning, what does the drummer ask him to do?
4. How many Texans are in the bar?
5. What is the drummer doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jack sits with a hand on each knee like a man waiting for a barber to cut his hair. What does this tell us about Jack?
2. What did Jack once do to Scratchy? Why is this important to the story? Do these men really feel that they cannot handle the situation without Jack, or do they just not want to?
3. Describe the character of the town of Yellow Sky. What is Jack's position in the town? How is he viewed by others?
4. What is Scratchy known for? What is his past?
5. What is the drummer's reaction to Jack's job? Do you get the sense that this is unusual for the drummer? He is a traveling man, but is not prepared for this. What does this say about the town of Yellow Sky?
6. Jack shows his new bride the train with the pride of an owner. He lavishes expensive (for them) meals upon her. What does this tell us about their relationship and their future marriage?
7. Describe the town. Detail the colors and textures as experienced by a visitor. Why do you think the story is set in this town?
8. What is the reaction of the men in the bar to the news that Scratchy is on the loose? Do their actions seemed rehearsed? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about the town in general?
9. Why do all the men in the bar want to see Jack? What can he do that they can't? It appears nobody is really going to fight? Is there a real danger here?
10. Explain the role of the African-American porters in this story. How do they regard the couple? Why? Is this alluding to a reverse of racial attitudes of the times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What questions are left unanswered in this story? Think back to the first chapter. What is left unresolved? What questions are never answered? Can we answer them? Can we imagine what will happen next?
Essay Topic 2
It is described that the man sits on the train with one hand on each knee like he's waiting for a barber. What does the author mean by this? What is he trying to tell the reader about the character? How would the man usually sit if he were a regular traveler?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Scratchy is still a threat at the end of the story? Do you think he will do this again? Why? Why not? Do you think this situation changed forever? Do you think this is the end of gunfighting in this town? Why? Why not?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)