|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the reader know the drummer is nervous?
2. What is the general demeanor of the couple?
3. When put in a safe place, what is the drummer sitting on?
4. At first, the drummer refuses to come behind the bar. Why?
5. Who is the only person who will fight Scratchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the barkeeper tells the drummer about Scratchy and his past, what do you think of the barkeeper? What does he really feel for Scratchy? What does Scratchy really feel for him?
2. Why does the author say the bride has cooked before? What gives the reader the clue to her background?
3. What did Jack once do to Scratchy? Why is this important to the story? Do these men really feel that they cannot handle the situation without Jack, or do they just not want to?
4. What is the drummer talking about at the opening of Chapter 3? What story is he telling? Do you think he does this often? Do you think he's told this story before? Why? Why not?
5. Why is it important to know that the bride is neither pretty nor young?
6. Describe the character of the town of Yellow Sky. What is Jack's position in the town? How is he viewed by others?
7. The groom mentions the price of $1.00 for a meal and the bride is astonished at the high price, worrying that they may not be able to afford such an extravagance. What does this tell us about the bride and groom.
8. At the opening of Chapter 2, describe the scene in the Weary Gentleman. What is the feeling? Is the town relaxed and pleasant? Why? Why not? What tensions do you feel at this point in the story?
9. Describe the town. Detail the colors and textures as experienced by a visitor. Why do you think the story is set in this town?
10. Why does the man in the bar ask for a drink from the barkeeper and then swallow it down? Does this action seem out-of-place? Overly dramatic? Why? Why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the town Scratchy's friend or foe? How does Scratchy view the town? What is the town to him? Why does he regard the town in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the porters as characters. Do you think being a porter was a good job at this time? Do you think they traveled? How do they regard the couple? Why? Why do they feel superior to this couple?
Essay Topic 3
What clues in the story give you the idea that the couple knew each other well? How do they appear comfortable with each other? What do they already know about each other? What gives you the idea that they have written to each other for some time?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)