|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Scratchy's reaction when he misses the piece of paper?
(a) He laughes.
(b) He cusses at himself.
(c) He yells in anger.
(d) He shoots again and again.
2. The long revolvers on Scratchy's hands are as easy as what?
3. Why does Jack tell Scratchy to shoot him now?
(a) He is the happiest he's ever going to be.
(b) He will never get another chance.
(c) He is ready to die.
(d) He is not afraid.
4. What does Scratchy say when Jack tells him of his morning?
(a) "You're a coward."
(b) "I don't care. I'll shoot you anyways."
(c) "Then go inside and get your guns."
(d) "It's all off then."
5. Why does Jack not have gun?
(a) He could not get through security with a gun.
(b) He felt wrong to wear them in church.
(c) His guns are in his luggage.
(d) He was just married in San Antonio.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 3 Scratchy is in the deepest rage over what?
2. What is the distance between Scratchy and Jack when they meet?
3. How does the author describe the town through Scratchy's mind?
4. What does Scratchy do to scare the dog?
5. Jack doesn't take Scratchy for a kid; he takes him for a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Scratchy introduce himself to Jack's new wife? Why? Why not? How does he feel when he realizes that he is confronted with Jack's wife?
2. What is Scratchy's reaction to Jack telling him that he's married?
3. Does Scratchy finally fire at the windows of the bar like the barkeeper thought he would? Is it good that everyone inside took cover?
4. Does Jack Potter seem unafraid? Why? Does he know that Scratchy will not shoot him? Or does he feel he is ready if he is shot? Does Jack understand that Scratchy will have some ethics involved here?
5. Why does the couple walk quickly to get to Jack's house? What are they afraid of? If they had not been so afraid, could they have avoided trouble?
6. Judging from the bride's reaction, do you think she's ever been faced with anything like this before? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about her home in San Antonio?
7. How does the author describe the gunman's anger? Describe the muscles in his neck. What are they doing? How does he look?
8. When Scratchy says, "there ain't a man his Texas that don't have a gun" do you think that's true? Think back to the scene in the bar. Did everyone have a gun?
9. When the bride and groom round the corner and meet Scratchy, what is Jack about to do? How would this scene have been different if Scratchy hadn't been there?
10. Why does Jack remind Scratchy that he didn't make the trouble?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)