|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 3 Scratchy is in the deepest rage over what?
(a) The immobility of the hosue.
(b) Jack's hiding in the house.
(c) Jack's refusal to fight.
(d) Jack's chickens.
2. What does Scratchy do to the door of the Weary Gentleman?
(a) He shoots at the door.
(b) He runs at the door.
(c) He yells at the door.
(d) He bangs on the door with his revolver.
3. Scratcy's yelling is met by what on Main Street?
(a) The dog barking.
(c) The men in the bar yelling back.
4. Where was the shirt made?
(b) Kansas City.
(d) New York.
5. How does Scratchy get to Jack's house?
(a) He runs.
(b) He walks.
(c) He rides his horse.
(d) He gets in a buggy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scratchy do at the end of Chapter 3 as he waits for Jack to appear?
2. What do the cords of Scratchy's neck do?
3. How do Jack and his wife walk through the town?
4. Since nobody is opening the door to the bar, where does Scratchy decide to go?
5. What does the dog do when he finally sees Scratchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scratchy react to the closed door of the Weary Gentleman? Is this a ritual? Has this happened before?
2. When Jack thinks back to the Pullman and all its beauty, what is this a symbol of?
3. What is Apache scalp music? Why does Scratchy walk to Jack's house humming this music?
4. When Jack encounters Scratchy, does he show fear? Why do you think that?
5. Why does the couple walk quickly to get to Jack's house? What are they afraid of? If they had not been so afraid, could they have avoided trouble?
6. The author alludes to fighting 200 Mexicans. What does this tell us about the history of Yellow Sky?
7. Does Jack Potter seem unafraid? Why? Does he know that Scratchy will not shoot him? Or does he feel he is ready if he is shot? Does Jack understand that Scratchy will have some ethics involved here?
8. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
9. Does Scratchy introduce himself to Jack's new wife? Why? Why not? How does he feel when he realizes that he is confronted with Jack's wife?
10. Scratchy shoots twice and misses. Once at the paper and once at the dog. Do you think he misses the dog of purpose? Is he just trying to scare the dog? What about the paper?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)