|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Scratchy think he will get jack Potter to come out for a fight?
(a) By forcing the front door open.
(b) By using his house as target practice.
(c) By shooting into the sky.
(d) By bombarding his house.
2. Who made the shirt?
(a) His sister.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) Some Jewish women.
3. How does Scratchy's little fingers move with the revolvers?
(a) Like a cat.
(b) Llike a seamstress.
(c) Like an owl.
(d) Like a musician's.
4. Scratchy fumes at Jack's house like what?
(a) Like the winter wind attacking a prairie cabin in the North.
(b) Like a Texas river running over her banks.
(c) Like a war, with gunshots heard all round.
(d) Like a Texas sunrise, red as fire.
5. What does the dog do when he finally sees Scratchy?
(a) He wimpers to be petted.
(b) He gets up and walks away growling.
(c) He runs at Scratchy.
(d) He watches him carefully.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jack not have gun?
2. What is the barkeeper's dog doing when Scratchy approaches?
3. What is Jack's wife's reaction to Scratchy?
4. When do Jack and his wife encounter Scratchy?
5. What does Scratchy want at the Weary Gentleman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Judging from Scratchy's question about Sunday School, do you think men in Yellow Sky carry guns to church?
2. How does Scratchy react to the closed door of the Weary Gentleman? Is this a ritual? Has this happened before?
3. Judging from the bride's reaction, do you think she's ever been faced with anything like this before? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about her home in San Antonio?
4. What is Apache scalp music? Why does Scratchy walk to Jack's house humming this music?
5. Scratchy shoots twice and misses. Once at the paper and once at the dog. Do you think he misses the dog of purpose? Is he just trying to scare the dog? What about the paper?
6. Upon encountering Scratchy what does Jack do that gives the reader the idea that he's been in tough spots before? What does he do by instinct alone?
7. When the bride and groom round the corner and meet Scratchy, what is Jack about to do? How would this scene have been different if Scratchy hadn't been there?
8. Does Jack Potter seem unafraid? Why? Does he know that Scratchy will not shoot him? Or does he feel he is ready if he is shot? Does Jack understand that Scratchy will have some ethics involved here?
9. What is the significance of the funnel-shaped tracks left by Scratchy's feet as he walks away from Jack and his wife?
10. Scratchy is described as a "wonder" with a gun, and, even drunk, seems to have amazing command of his weapons. What do you think Scratchy would shoot like sober? Does this tell the reader something about the kind of gun-fighter he used to be?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)