|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack remind Scratchy of when he picks up his suitcase to part?
(a) That Scratchy started the trouble to begin with.
(b) That Scratchy is a sorry drunk.
(c) That Scratchy better leave town.
(d) That he's going inside with his wife.
2. Why is Jack not armed on his wedding day?
(a) Because guns scare his new wife, and she asked him not to wear them.
(b) Because he believes such an occasion does not call for it.
(c) Because he left in such a hurry, he forgot his gun.
(d) Because guns were not allowed on the train, and Jack hasn't rearmed himself yet,
3. What is Scratchy's reaction when he realizes he has Jack cornered?
(a) He giggles.
(b) He frowns.
(c) He melts.
(d) He smiles.
4. How does Scratchy secure the piece of paper that he shoots at?
(a) With his pistol.
(b) With a nail.
(c) With his knife.
(d) With a pin.
5. What kind of structures are built along main street?
(a) Wood houses.
(b) Sod houses.
(c) Wooden shops.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe the town through Scratchy's mind?
2. At the end of Chapter 3 Scratchy is in the deepest rage over what?
3. What does Scratchy do at the end of Chapter 3 as he waits for Jack to appear?
4. Scratcy's yelling is met by what on Main Street?
5. When do Jack and his wife encounter Scratchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jack thinks back to the Pullman and all its beauty, what is this a symbol of?
2. Judging from Scratchy's question about Sunday School, do you think men in Yellow Sky carry guns to church?
3. The author writes that Jack's house looks at Scratchy like a great stone god. What is the symbolism of this?
4. When the bride and groom round the corner and meet Scratchy, what is Jack about to do? How would this scene have been different if Scratchy hadn't been there?
5. Why would Jack not carry a gun on the day he is married?
6. What is Scratchy's reaction to Jack telling him that he's married?
7. Judging from the bride's reaction, do you think she's ever been faced with anything like this before? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about her home in San Antonio?
8. What are all of the houses made of? What does this tell us about the area? What kind of weather do they encounter? What heritage do the Texans have?
9. What is Apache scalp music? Why does Scratchy walk to Jack's house humming this music?
10. Why does Jack remind Scratchy that he didn't make the trouble?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)