|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the train going?
(c) Yellow Sky.
(d) San Antonio.
2. What do the objects across the street from the bar resemble?
(a) The yellow of a cliff.
(b) The vastness of the desert.
(c) The grass on the theater stage.
(d) The blue of the ocean.
3. What does the man say who enters the bar?
(a) That Scratchy Wilson is drunk.
(b) That Jack's new bride has arrived.
(c) That Jack is returning on the train.
(d) That Scratchy just came in on the train.
4. How many men are in the bar?
5. Where does the barkeeper put the drummer?
(a) Outside in back.
(b) Behind a table.
(c) At the door as a lookout.
(d) Behind the bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the elegance of the train fittings reflect?
2. Why does the bride become anxious?
3. What town has Jack traveled to?
4. Where did the old gang hang out?
5. How many Texans are in the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the fittings on the train symbolize for the couple?
2. What does the drummer say to the man who comes to the door with the warning?
3. What is the symbolism of the little silver watch? Why did Jack by this for his bride? What is this a symbol of?
4. The author describes the grassy plots across the street from the bar as looking like grass on a stage. What does this tell the reader about the times and entertainment?
5. What is Scratchy known for? What is his past?
6. What is the drummer talking about at the opening of Chapter 3? What story is he telling? Do you think he does this often? Do you think he's told this story before? Why? Why not?
7. At the opening of Chapter 2, describe the scene in the Weary Gentleman. What is the feeling? Is the town relaxed and pleasant? Why? Why not? What tensions do you feel at this point in the story?
8. Jack shows his new bride the train with the pride of an owner. He lavishes expensive (for them) meals upon her. What does this tell us about their relationship and their future marriage?
9. Describe Texas as viewed from the train.
10. What is the drummer's reaction to Jack's job? Do you get the sense that this is unusual for the drummer? He is a traveling man, but is not prepared for this. What does this say about the town of Yellow Sky?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)