|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the man doing who sits in the tilted chair at the end of the railway station?
(a) He is reading.
(b) He is whittling.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He smokes a pipe.
2. What are the people of Yellow Sky unaware of regarding Jack's life?
(a) That he is quiting his job.
(b) That he is married.
(c) That his dad was a cattle rustler.
(d) That he is older than they think.
3. What color is the bride's dress?
4. When the man comes to the door of the bar with his warning, what does the drummer ask him to do?
(a) Follow the Mexicans.
(b) Come in for a drink.
(c) Go away.
(d) Forget it.
5. Why does the dog keep lazy watch?
(a) He is watching for Scratchy.
(b) He is occasionally kicked if he is in the way.
(c) He is a sheep herder at heart and always trying to herd.
(d) He is afraid of other animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction of the Mexicans in the bar when they hear about Scratchy?
2. What is the drummer doing?
3. What do the objects across the street from the bar resemble?
4. What is the bride's concern as she looks around the train car?
5. Who is the only person who will fight Scratchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jack sits with a hand on each knee like a man waiting for a barber to cut his hair. What does this tell us about Jack?
2. Describe the bride's dress. Do you think this is her wedding dress? Why? Why not? Is this a dress she wears every day?
3. What is the symbolism of Jack's "brick colored" hands? What does this tell the reader about Jack?
4. What is the drummer talking about at the opening of Chapter 3? What story is he telling? Do you think he does this often? Do you think he's told this story before? Why? Why not?
5. When the barkeeper tells the drummer about Scratchy and his past, what do you think of the barkeeper? What does he really feel for Scratchy? What does Scratchy really feel for him?
6. What is the drummer's reaction to Jack's job? Do you get the sense that this is unusual for the drummer? He is a traveling man, but is not prepared for this. What does this say about the town of Yellow Sky?
7. Explain the significance of the character of the drummer?
8. Describe the town. Detail the colors and textures as experienced by a visitor. Why do you think the story is set in this town?
9. Describe the character of the town of Yellow Sky. What is Jack's position in the town? How is he viewed by others?
10. Jack shows his new bride the train with the pride of an owner. He lavishes expensive (for them) meals upon her. What does this tell us about their relationship and their future marriage?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)