|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the bar?
(a) Yellow Sky Saloon.
(b) The Mexican Cantina.
(c) The Weary Horseman.
(d) The Weary Gentleman.
2. What do the Mexicans do for a living?
(a) Sheep herders.
(d) Cow herders.
3. Where is the only person who will fight Scratchy?
(a) At the train station.
(b) At home.
(c) Out of town.
(d) In the bar.
4. What is Scratchy like when he is drunk?
(a) He's sweet and sloppy.
(b) He's funny,
(c) He's quiet.
(d) He's a terror.
5. How would the people of Yellow Sky react if they knew Jack's plan?
(a) They would greet him with a brass band.
(b) The would give the couple presents.
(c) They would be happy.
(d) They would serve a huge dinner at the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notices that the groom is particularly happy?
2. What does the drummer discover in his hiding place?
3. How many times does the train stop while traveling across the state?
4. What does the station-agent do when he sees Jack?
5. Why did the groom give the pocket watch to his new bride?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important to know that the bride is neither pretty nor young?
2. Why does Jack refer to his wife as "girl?" What does this tell us about him? Is this an endearment? Why? Why not?
3. Why does the man in the bar ask for a drink from the barkeeper and then swallow it down? Does this action seem out-of-place? Overly dramatic? Why? Why not?
4. Describe the character of the town of Yellow Sky. What is Jack's position in the town? How is he viewed by others?
5. How quickly do you think this couple made the decision to be married?
6. Why does the author say the bride has cooked before? What gives the reader the clue to her background?
7. What do the fittings on the train symbolize for the couple?
8. How does the author describe the man at the railway station? What does his description tell us about the weather that day?
9. Describe Texas as viewed from the train.
10. What is the drummer's reaction to Jack's job? Do you get the sense that this is unusual for the drummer? He is a traveling man, but is not prepared for this. What does this say about the town of Yellow Sky?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)