|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the drummer discover in his hiding place?
(b) More guns.
2. Why is the man's face reddened?
(a) He has high blood pressure.
(b) He drinks a lot.
(c) From years of working outdoors.
(d) He is embarrased.
3. What does the couple not notice about the people waiting on them?
(a) Their uniforms.
(b) Their great service.
(c) Their air of superiority.
(d) Their wonderful food.
4. How many rows of waiters were in the dining car?
5. Who has never been on a train before?
(a) The porter.
(b) The groom.
(c) The judge.
(d) The bride.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jack once shoot Scratchy?
2. What does the porter do for Jack as they approach Yellow Sky?
3. What river runs by the town of Yellow Sky?
4. What did the couple do before boarding the train?
5. What color is the bride's dress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do all the men in the bar want to see Jack? What can he do that they can't? It appears nobody is really going to fight? Is there a real danger here?
2. What is the symbolism of the little silver watch? Why did Jack by this for his bride? What is this a symbol of?
3. What is the author telling us by the use of the word "ain't" by the bride?
4. Why does the author say the bride has cooked before? What gives the reader the clue to her background?
5. Describe the town. Detail the colors and textures as experienced by a visitor. Why do you think the story is set in this town?
6. What is Scratchy known for? What is his past?
7. What does the drummer say to the man who comes to the door with the warning?
8. What is the drummer's reaction to Jack's job? Do you get the sense that this is unusual for the drummer? He is a traveling man, but is not prepared for this. What does this say about the town of Yellow Sky?
9. Jack shows his new bride the train with the pride of an owner. He lavishes expensive (for them) meals upon her. What does this tell us about their relationship and their future marriage?
10. What do the fittings on the train symbolize for the couple?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)