|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the drummer discover in his hiding place?
(d) More guns.
2. What does the station-agent do when he sees Jack?
(a) Waves his hands and runs toward them.
(b) Calls his name and gets his luggage.
(c) Remains seated in his chair.
(d) Smiles and waves.
3. Who is the only person who will fight Scratchy?
(a) Jack Potter.
(b) The barkeeper.
(c) The drummer.
(d) The Mexicans.
4. What is Scratchy known for?
(a) He is an excellent gunman.
(b) Being in a gang.
(c) Being the town drunk.
(d) Coming from the east coast.
5. What river runs by the town of Yellow Sky?
(a) Rio Grande.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the couple do when they exit the train?
2. How much will the meal cost the couple on the train?
3. How does the man sit on the train?
4. Why did the groom give the pocket watch to his new bride?
5. What is Scratchy like when he is sober?
Short Essay Questions
1. How quickly do you think this couple made the decision to be married?
2. When seated behind the bar, the barkeeper seems quite comfortable with this situation. Why?
3. Explain the significance of the character of the drummer?
4. What did Jack once do to Scratchy? Why is this important to the story? Do these men really feel that they cannot handle the situation without Jack, or do they just not want to?
5. Jack shows his new bride the train with the pride of an owner. He lavishes expensive (for them) meals upon her. What does this tell us about their relationship and their future marriage?
6. When the barkeeper tells the drummer about Scratchy and his past, what do you think of the barkeeper? What does he really feel for Scratchy? What does Scratchy really feel for him?
7. Why does the man in the bar ask for a drink from the barkeeper and then swallow it down? Does this action seem out-of-place? Overly dramatic? Why? Why not?
8. What is the symbolism of Jack's "brick colored" hands? What does this tell the reader about Jack?
9. Jack sits with a hand on each knee like a man waiting for a barber to cut his hair. What does this tell us about Jack?
10. Explain the significance of the Mexicans in the bar.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)