Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the bride's dress?
2. What did the couple do before boarding the train?
(a) Had breadfast.
(b) Got married.
(c) Bought a house.
(d) Visited their mother.
3. Why is the man's face reddened?
(a) He drinks a lot.
(b) He is embarrased.
(c) From years of working outdoors.
(d) He has high blood pressure.
4. What is the general demeanor of the couple?
(a) They are loud.
(b) They are shy.
(c) They are dirty.
(d) They are sloppy.
5. How would the people of Yellow Sky react if they knew Jack's plan?
(a) The would give the couple presents.
(b) They would be happy.
(c) They would serve a huge dinner at the church.
(d) They would greet him with a brass band.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is it when the bride looks at her pocket watch?
2. What does the porter do to make the exit from the train easier?
3. What do the Mexicans do for a living?
4. How does Jack plan to get to his house?
5. When the drummer first hears the news of Scratchy, where does he stand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author telling us by the use of the word "ain't" by the bride?
2. Do you think the dog has been shot before? Why did he not move when he heard Scratchy coming up the street?
3. What does Scratchy's attire tell the reader about him?
4. What is the significance of the funnel-shaped tracks left by Scratchy's feet as he walks away from Jack and his wife?
5. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
6. When the barkeeper tells the drummer about Scratchy and his past, what do you think of the barkeeper? What does he really feel for Scratchy? What does Scratchy really feel for him?
7. What is the symbolism of Jack's "brick colored" hands? What does this tell the reader about Jack?
8. The groom mentions the price of $1.00 for a meal and the bride is astonished at the high price, worrying that they may not be able to afford such an extravagance. What does this tell us about the bride and groom.
9. Why does the couple walk quickly to get to Jack's house? What are they afraid of? If they had not been so afraid, could they have avoided trouble?
10. When Scratchy says, "there ain't a man his Texas that don't have a gun" do you think that's true? Think back to the scene in the bar. Did everyone have a gun?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)