|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Mexicans do for a living?
(a) Sheep herders.
(d) Cow herders.
2. What time will the train arrive in Yellow Sky?
(a) 2:47 p.m.
(b) 4:52 p.m.
(c) 1:30 p.m.
(d) 3:42 p.m.
3. Where does the barkeeper put the drummer?
(a) Outside in back.
(b) At the door as a lookout.
(c) Behind the bar.
(d) Behind a table.
4. What can be seen beyond the Rio Grande?
(a) Yellow rocks.
(b) Plum colored mesquite.
(c) The mountains.
(d) The river basin.
5. What do the elegance of the train fittings reflect?
(a) The town of Yellow Sky.
(b) The porter's service.
(c) San Antonio.
(d) The couple's marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person who will fight Scratchy?
2. What time is it when the bride looks at her pocket watch?
3. How does the couple feel about each other?
4. When the drummer first hears the news of Scratchy, where does he stand?
5. As Scratchy is approaching the bar, one man in the bar wishes Jack were home. How does he express that?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dog a symbol of? What is the dog supposed to be in this story?
2. What are all of the houses made of? What does this tell us about the area? What kind of weather do they encounter? What heritage do the Texans have?
3. Explain the significance of the character of the drummer?
4. What is the reaction of the men in the bar to the news that Scratchy is on the loose? Do their actions seemed rehearsed? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about the town in general?
5. Does Scratchy finally fire at the windows of the bar like the barkeeper thought he would? Is it good that everyone inside took cover?
6. Why is it important to know that the bride is neither pretty nor young?
7. Scratchy shoots twice and misses. Once at the paper and once at the dog. Do you think he misses the dog of purpose? Is he just trying to scare the dog? What about the paper?
8. Why does Jack remind Scratchy that he didn't make the trouble?
9. Judging from the bride's reaction, do you think she's ever been faced with anything like this before? Why? Why not? What does this tell the reader about her home in San Antonio?
10. How does the author describe the man at the railway station? What does his description tell us about the weather that day?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)