|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the husband as they approach Yellow Sky?
(a) He begins to pace.
(b) He starts crying.
(c) He becomes restless.
(d) He has a nervous laugh.
2. Why did the groom give the pocket watch to his new bride?
(a) As a wedding present.
(b) A welcome present when he met her.
(c) So she could keep time on the return trip home.
(d) So she would have some nice jewelry.
3. When put in a safe place, what is the drummer sitting on?
(a) A drum.
(d) A box.
4. Where is the barkeeper's dog?
(a) He lays on the boardwalk that crosses the front door of the bar.
(b) Sleeping at the end of main street.
(c) Out back, chasing rabbits.
(d) Sleeping under a table.
5. Where did Jack once shoot Scratchy?
(a) His arm.
(b) In the foot.
(c) On his ear.
(d) In the leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river runs by the town of Yellow Sky?
2. Why does the dog keep lazy watch?
3. What are the people of Yellow Sky unaware of regarding Jack's life?
4. What does the drummer discover in his hiding place?
5. What is the drummer feeling as danger approaches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the drummer say to the man who comes to the door with the warning?
2. At the opening of Chapter 2, describe the scene in the Weary Gentleman. What is the feeling? Is the town relaxed and pleasant? Why? Why not? What tensions do you feel at this point in the story?
3. What is the drummer's reaction to Jack's job? Do you get the sense that this is unusual for the drummer? He is a traveling man, but is not prepared for this. What does this say about the town of Yellow Sky?
4. Why does the man in the bar ask for a drink from the barkeeper and then swallow it down? Does this action seem out-of-place? Overly dramatic? Why? Why not?
5. What is Scratchy known for? What is his past?
6. Describe Texas as viewed from the train.
7. How is the bride described in the story?
8. Why do all the men in the bar want to see Jack? What can he do that they can't? It appears nobody is really going to fight? Is there a real danger here?
9. Explain the significance of the character of the drummer?
10. Why is it important to know that the bride is neither pretty nor young?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)