|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Scratchy's reaction when he misses the piece of paper?
(a) He laughes.
(b) He shoots again and again.
(c) He cusses at himself.
(d) He yells in anger.
2. What defining features do Scratchy's boots have?
(a) Gold buttons.
(b) Gilded imprints.
(c) Hand-sewn ribbon.
(d) Gold thread.
3. Who else would wear boots like Scratchy's ?
(a) Army boys.
(b) Railroad men.
(c) Other gunfighters.
(d) Sledding boys.
4. What is the color of the tops of Scratchy's boots?
5. Scratchy fumes at Jack's house like what?
(a) Like a Texas sunrise, red as fire.
(b) Like the winter wind attacking a prairie cabin in the North.
(c) Like a Texas river running over her banks.
(d) Like a war, with gunshots heard all round.
6. What does Jack say he'd have done if he'd known that Scratchy would be there waiting for him?
(a) He would have stopped for a drink.
(b) He woulde have returned home more carefully.
(c) He would have taken the next train.
(d) He would have brought his guns.
7. Who is Jack Potter in the mind of Scratchy?
(a) His friend.
(b) His ancient antagonist.
(c) His mentor.
(d) His father.
8. How does Scratchy think he will get jack Potter to come out for a fight?
(a) By bombarding his house.
(b) By forcing the front door open.
(c) By using his house as target practice.
(d) By shooting into the sky.
9. How does the author describe the town through Scratchy's mind?
(a) It is a joke to him.
(b) It is a toy for him.
(c) It is dangerous to him.
(d) It is wearing for him.
10. How do Jack and his wife walk through the town?
(a) They run.
(b) Sheepishly and quickly.
(d) They cover their heads from the rain.
11. What do the cords of Scratchy's neck do?
(a) Straighten and sink as passion moves him.
(c) Sink into his neck and disappear.
(d) Pop out in red veins.
12. As Scratchy walks away from the bar, what is he humming?
(a) Christmas music.
(b) A folk song.
(c) Apache scalp music.
(d) French violin music.
13. When does the dog break into a gallop?
(a) When Scratchcy yells at him.
(b) When Scratchy shoots in the air.
(c) When Scratchy kills the rabbit.
(d) When Scratchy shoots at the bar.
14. What does Scratchy think about what Jack has to say?
(a) He thinks he didn't hear Jack right.
(b) he thinks Jack is being funny.
(c) He thinks Jack is lying.
(d) He thinks Jack has gone crazy.
15. What does Scratchy do to scare the dog?
(a) Kicks him.
(b) Shoots out the bar windows.
(c) Shoots at the ground near him.
(d) Shoots an arrow near him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack think of when he is faced with the barrel of Scratchy's gun?
2. What does Scratchy hold in each hand?
3. What does Scratchy accuse Jack of trying to do?
4. How does Scratchy's little fingers move with the revolvers?
5. What does Scratchy say when Jack tells him of his morning?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)