|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Scratchy feel he has the right to shoot Jack?
(a) Because Jack shot and killed his brother.
(b) He has to settle the score.
(c) Because Scratchy got Jack his job.
(d) Because Jack owes scratchy money.
2. What is Jack about to do when he sees Scratchy?
(a) Carry his bride over the threshold.
(b) Shoot Scratchy.
(c) Point out his home to his bride.
(d) Dance with his bride.
3. What is Scratchy not a student of?
4. After Scratchy shoots at the paper, what does he shoot next?
(a) The dirt on the street.
(b) The doors of houses.
(c) Bottles on the fence.
(d) The windows of houses.
5. What does Scratchy want at the Weary Gentleman?
(a) The barkeeper.
(b) The dog.
(c) A drink.
(d) The drummer.
6. What does Scratchy do when he arrives at Jack's house?
(a) He starts shooting.
(b) He is silent.
(c) He howls a challenge.
(d) He stumbles and falls.
7. Jack doesn't take Scratchy for a kid; he takes him for a what?
(a) A fool.
(b) An idiot.
(c) A threat.
(d) An old man.
8. How does the author describe the fact that Jack has trouble speaking when he sees Scratchy?
(a) "His mouth was filled with sand."
(b) "Like glue on his tongue."
(c) "His mouth was dry and he couldn't speak."
(d) "His mouth was a grave for his tongue."
9. What orders about moving does Scratchy shoot at jack?
(a) Not to move a breath.
(b) Not to move a finger, not an eyelash.
(c) Not to move a wink.
(d) Not to move an inch,
10. What color shirt is Scratchy wearing?
11. How does the author describe Scratchy's reaction to Jack's marriage?
(a) Like a dog lost without his master.
(b) Like a man releaved.
(c) Like a lost soul looking for a home.
(d) Like a creature allowed a glimpse of another world.
12. What defining features do Scratchy's boots have?
(a) Hand-sewn ribbon.
(b) Gilded imprints.
(c) Gold thread.
(d) Gold buttons.
13. What does Jack do with his suitcase when he sees Scratchy?
(a) Slowly lowers it to the ground.
(b) Gives it slowly to his wife.
(c) Drops it to the ground.
(d) Holds the handle tightly.
14. How does the couple sometimes laugh together as they walk to their home?
(a) Giggling like children.
(b) Smiling sweetly at each other.
(c) Breaking into laughter.
(d) Shamefacedly and low.
15. Who made the shirt?
(a) His sister.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) Some Jewish women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Scratchy believe that Jack is unarmed?
2. Where does Scratchy accuse Jack of coming from with no weapon?
3. When do Jack and his wife encounter Scratchy?
4. How does the author describe the town through Scratchy's mind?
5. Where does Scratchy find the piece of paper?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)