|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the country are Scratchy's boots from?
(b) New England.
(d) New York.
2. What defining features do Scratchy's boots have?
(a) Gold thread.
(b) Gilded imprints.
(c) Hand-sewn ribbon.
(d) Gold buttons.
3. What does Scratchy do when he sees Jack?
(a) Stands in surprise and does not move.
(b) Drops both guns.
(c) Points a gun at his chest.
(d) Shoots at Jack's house.
4. What orders about moving does Scratchy shoot at jack?
(a) Not to move a finger, not an eyelash.
(b) Not to move an inch,
(c) Not to move a wink.
(d) Not to move a breath.
5. Jack doesn't take Scratchy for a kid; he takes him for a what?
(a) An old man.
(b) A threat.
(c) A fool.
(d) An idiot.
6. At the end of Chapter 3 Scratchy is in the deepest rage over what?
(a) The immobility of the hosue.
(b) Jack's chickens.
(c) Jack's refusal to fight.
(d) Jack's hiding in the house.
7. What is the color of the tops of Scratchy's boots?
8. What does Scratchy hold in each hand?
(a) A blue-black revolver.
(b) A dueling sword.
(c) A Winchester shotgun.
(d) A small pistol.
9. How does Scratchy get to Jack's house?
(a) He rides his horse.
(b) He runs.
(c) He walks.
(d) He gets in a buggy.
10. What color was the velvet on the train?
11. Who is Jack Potter in the mind of Scratchy?
(a) His friend.
(b) His father.
(c) His ancient antagonist.
(d) His mentor.
12. How does the couple sometimes laugh together as they walk to their home?
(a) Shamefacedly and low.
(b) Giggling like children.
(c) Breaking into laughter.
(d) Smiling sweetly at each other.
13. Why is Jack not armed on his wedding day?
(a) Because guns were not allowed on the train, and Jack hasn't rearmed himself yet,
(b) Because he left in such a hurry, he forgot his gun.
(c) Because he believes such an occasion does not call for it.
(d) Because guns scare his new wife, and she asked him not to wear them.
14. What does Scratchy think about what Jack has to say?
(a) He thinks Jack is lying.
(b) He thinks he didn't hear Jack right.
(c) he thinks Jack is being funny.
(d) He thinks Jack has gone crazy.
15. What kind of structures are built along main street?
(a) Sod houses.
(c) Wood houses.
(d) Wooden shops.
Short Answer Questions
1. Scratchy walks with the creeping movement of what?
2. What does Scratchy do when he arrives at Jack's house?
3. How does Scratchy's little fingers move with the revolvers?
4. What does Scratchy accuse Jack of trying to do?
5. Why is Scratchy's face red?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)