|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Scratchy feel he has the right to shoot Jack?
(a) Because Jack owes scratchy money.
(b) Because Jack shot and killed his brother.
(c) He has to settle the score.
(d) Because Scratchy got Jack his job.
2. How does Jack's house regard Scratchy?
(a) Like a tree.
(b) Like a friend.
(c) Like a stone god.
(d) Like a laughing face.
3. What does Jack think of when he is faced with the barrel of Scratchy's gun?
(a) His wedding.
(b) His wife.
(c) His home.
(d) The beauty of the train.
4. When Scratchy walks away from the couple, what shape do his footprints make in the dirt?
(a) Funnel shaped.
(b) Square shaped.
(c) Triangle shaped.
(d) Round shaped.
5. Since nobody is opening the door to the bar, where does Scratchy decide to go?
(a) To the cabin.
(b) To the river.
(c) To the train station.
(d) To Jack's house.
6. Scratcy's yelling is met by what on Main Street?
(b) The dog barking.
(c) The men in the bar yelling back.
7. When does the dog break into a gallop?
(a) When Scratchy kills the rabbit.
(b) When Scratchy shoots in the air.
(c) When Scratchcy yells at him.
(d) When Scratchy shoots at the bar.
8. Who is Jack Potter in the mind of Scratchy?
(a) His father.
(b) His friend.
(c) His ancient antagonist.
(d) His mentor.
9. What is Jack's wife's reaction to Scratchy?
(a) She starts to cry.
(b) She turns yellow, like she's seen a snake.
(c) She stands bravely as if expecting this.
(d) She turns red with embarrassment.
10. What part of the country are Scratchy's boots from?
(c) New York.
(d) New England.
11. What is Scratchy not a student of?
12. How does Scratchy identify the bride?
(a) He asks if she is his cook.
(b) He asks if she's staying in Yellow Sky.
(c) He asks if she is the "lady."
(d) He asks if she is Jack's sister.
13. What did the color of the wood on the train look like?
(a) The color of a beautiful brown horse.
(b) Dark as the surface of a pool of oil.
(c) Gleaming like a wooden coach.
(d) The color of shoe polish.
14. The knowledge of Jack's marriage reduces Scratchy to what?
(a) A simple child of the earlier plains.
(b) A small boy of ten.
(c) A small child from back east.
(d) A member of a rough gang.
15. Who made the shirt?
(a) His sister.
(b) Some Jewish women.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scratchy doing with the town?
2. What is the color of the tops of Scratchy's boots?
3. Scratchy walks with the creeping movement of what?
4. What do the cords of Scratchy's neck do?
5. Jack doesn't take Scratchy for a kid; he takes him for a what?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)