|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Mexicans do for a living?
(c) Cow herders.
(d) Sheep herders.
2. When put in a safe place, what is the drummer sitting on?
(a) A drum.
(d) A box.
3. What does the station-agent do when he sees Jack?
(a) Remains seated in his chair.
(b) Smiles and waves.
(c) Waves his hands and runs toward them.
(d) Calls his name and gets his luggage.
4. What do the men in the bar say as they hear Scratchy approaching?
(a) "Here he comes."
(c) "Everyone quiet!"
(d) "Where's Jack?"
5. What can be seen from the train window?
(a) Small farms that look abandoned.
(b) Texas like a desert.
(c) Texas, green grass, clumps of houses, trees.
(d) Rivers only.
6. What does a man in the bar tell the drummer about what is about to happen?
(a) "Someone will die."
(b) "There is going to be some shooting."
(c) "Scratchy will pass out on the porch of the bar."
(d) "Jack will arrive and shoot Scratchy."
7. How many men are in the bar?
8. Why did the groom give the pocket watch to his new bride?
(a) As a wedding present.
(b) So she would have some nice jewelry.
(c) So she could keep time on the return trip home.
(d) A welcome present when he met her.
9. How do the men in the bar know Scratchy is approaching?
(a) They hear the dog bark.
(b) They hear someone yelp who's been hit.
(c) They hear yelling and gunshots.
(d) They hear the Mexican yelling.
10. What does the man say who enters the bar?
(a) That Scratchy just came in on the train.
(b) That Scratchy Wilson is drunk.
(c) That Jack's new bride has arrived.
(d) That Jack is returning on the train.
11. Why does the dog keep lazy watch?
(a) He is a sheep herder at heart and always trying to herd.
(b) He is watching for Scratchy.
(c) He is afraid of other animals.
(d) He is occasionally kicked if he is in the way.
12. What does the bartender do when he hears about Scratchy?
(a) He heads out of the bar.
(b) He gets a drink.
(c) He locks and barricades the door.
(d) He gets his pistol.
13. Where did the man buy the pocket watch?
(a) In New York.
(b) In Dallas.
(c) In Yellow Sky.
(d) In San Antonio.
14. What can be seen beyond the Rio Grande?
(a) Plum colored mesquite.
(b) The river basin.
(c) Yellow rocks.
(d) The mountains.
15. What does the couple not notice about the people waiting on them?
(a) Their air of superiority.
(b) Their great service.
(c) Their uniforms.
(d) Their wonderful food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the couple do before boarding the train?
2. What does the bartender pull from beneath the bar?
3. What is Scratchy like when he is sober?
4. How does Jack plan to get to his house?
5. What is apparent about the bride to the other passengers?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)