* A bride and groom board the Pullman car of a train in San Antonio one morning, right after they are married.
* They are dressed in their finest clothes, but his hands are red from weather and hers look as if she cooked before.
* She is not pretty or young, and the other travelers watch them with bemusement, including the African American porter.
* Her language is coarse.
* The groom describes Texas as 1,000 miles across, and points out the luxuries of the train, which she has never seen before.
* He has bought her a silver pocket watch in San Antonio as a wedding gift, and she is quite taken with it.
* They eat in the dining car under the scrutiny of the waiters and other passengers.
* The train approaches the Rio Grande River and the town of Yellow Sky where Jack Potter in the town marshal.
* Nobody in town...
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)