|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Sylvia ask Gemma in Chapter 17?
2. Who recognizes Gemma in a photograph in Chapter 12?
3. Where does Becca want to travel to in Chapter 16?
4. What does Gemma do for Becca before continuing her story in Chapter 19?
5. What does Becca want to continue in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the girls react to Gemma's explanation to how the cursed, dead people in her story can have future lives?
2. How does Becca find out the meaning of 'Ksiezniczka'?
3. In Chapter 20, what does Magda say inspired her to return to her own Jewish roots?
4. What does Magda say about the teacher who taught her about the concentration camps?
5. In Chapter 12, what does Becca note is missing from the ending of Gemma's version of the Briar Rose story?
6. Where does Gemma tell Becca the Briar Rose story in Chapter 15? Who else listens, and what does he object to?
7. In Chapter 15, what is the song in Gemma's version of the Briar Rose story about?
8. What does Becca find out about Gitl Mandlestein in Chapter 10?
9. What does Harvey recall about Gemma in Chapter 12?
10. What does Becca learn was rumored about the Oswego refugee camp? What was life in the camp really like for the refugees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Yolen's use of symbolism in the novel "Briar Rose". What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the theme of death and the Holocaust?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Becca throughout the novel. What struggles does Becca face? How does she overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Gemma. What does the reader learn of her past? What are her defining characteristics? Describe her relationships with the members of her family.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)