|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Josef?
2. What time does Stan arrive at Becca's house in Chapter 12?
3. Which of the following is Becca told that Gemma did not talk about at the refugee camp?
4. Where is Gemma telling Becca the fairy tale story in Chapter 15?
5. According to Magda, what happened to a teacher who gave graphic details about the concentration camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frightens the girls on Halloween in Chapter 21?
2. How do the girls react to Gemma's explanation to how the cursed, dead people in her story can have future lives?
3. What part of the story does Gemma tell Becca in Chapter 11?
4. What do Becca and Magda discover about the people in Chelmno?
5. What does Becca give Magda as a gift? What does Magda intend to do with the item?
6. Why does Becca point out that Gemma had no tattoos?
7. What does Becca find out about Gitl Mandlestein in Chapter 10?
8. What does the priest in Chapter 22 tell Becca about Chelmno?
9. What realization does Becca have when she meets Josef Potocki?
10. What does Becca question Gemma about her story in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Gemma. What does the reader learn of her past? What are her defining characteristics? Describe her relationships with the members of her family.
Essay Topic 2
What is an allegory? How is the novel "Briar Rose" an allegory of the sufferings experienced by those imprisoned in concentration and extermination camps during WWII?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Briar Rose". Who are the member of Becca's family? Is family important to Becca? How does Becca's family affect her decisions and actions? Describe Becca's relationship with her sisters and grandmother.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)