|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Becca ask Gemma in Chapter 13?
2. Who objects to Gemma's story in Chapter 15?
3. What does Sylvia try to do when she calls Becca in Chapter 16?
4. What had fallen to ruin prior to the war in Chelmo?
5. Who is Magda Bronski?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Becca's family members try to dissuade her from doing in Chapter 16?
2. Who is Magda Bronski?
3. What does Becca give Magda as a gift? What does Magda intend to do with the item?
4. What does the priest in Chapter 22 tell Becca about Chelmno?
5. What do Becca and Magda discover about the people in Chelmno?
6. What part of the story does Gemma tell Becca in Chapter 11?
7. Where does Gemma tell Becca the Briar Rose story in Chapter 15? Who else listens, and what does he object to?
8. What does Becca find out about Gitl Mandlestein in Chapter 10?
9. In Chapter 20, what does Magda say inspired her to return to her own Jewish roots?
10. In Chapter 24, why does Josef ask Becca to visit his house, and for how long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Yolen's use of symbolism in the novel "Briar Rose". What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the theme of death and the Holocaust?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Briar Rose". Who are the member of Becca's family? Is family important to Becca? How does Becca's family affect her decisions and actions? Describe Becca's relationship with her sisters and grandmother.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Gemma. What does the reader learn of her past? What are her defining characteristics? Describe her relationships with the members of her family.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)