|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Sylvia always thought was the origin of Gemma's use of the name Dawn?
2. What point does Becca specifically remember about Gemma's story in Chapter 6?
3. What is Becca's career?
4. What does the building where Becca works overlook?
5. How long does the curse in Gemma's story put everyone to sleep for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Becca's work offices housed? What were Becca's first 'real' articles at the Advocate about?
2. As she continues the story in Chapter 6, how long does Gemma say the cursed people in the story slept for?
3. When she investigates her grandmother's newspaper clippings, what does Becca learn from Arnie at the Palladium Times in Oswego?
4. What does Becca admit to her father is the real reason she is going to work in Chapter 8?
5. What does Becca do in Chapter 2, which he sisters urge her not to?
6. What are the documents that Becca falls asleep going over in Chapter 6?
7. In Chapter 4, what do we learn about Gemma's past?
8. In Chapter 7, what does Gemma tell Becca she will probably lose interest in after she starts school?
9. In Chapter 3, who does Gemma say was not invited to the King's party?
10. While going through Gemma's box of mementos in Chapter 6, what does Becca realize about them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Gemma. What does the reader learn of her past? What are her defining characteristics? Describe her relationships with the members of her family.
Essay Topic 2
What is an allegory? How is the novel "Briar Rose" an allegory of the sufferings experienced by those imprisoned in concentration and extermination camps during WWII?
Essay Topic 3
Gemma's Sleeping Beauty story is an allegory of Gemma's experiences in an extermination camp during WWII. What was the Holocaust? Describe the camp Gemma was sent to. How did this experience impact her life?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)