|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of building does Gemma mention during her story in Chapter 2?
2. According to Gemma, at what point will little Becca not want to hear her fairy tale story any longer?
3. What does Becca do at the nursing home as soon as she arrives in Chapter 2?
4. What has Eve always thought to be Gemma's real name?
5. In Gemma's story, at what age will the heroine be when the curse comes to pass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sylvia press Gemma for a definition for in Chapter 9?
2. Where are Becca's work offices housed? What were Becca's first 'real' articles at the Advocate about?
3. What are Shana and Sylvia begging their grandmother for at the beginning of the novel?
4. In Chapter 6, why does Becca suppose Gemma was so caught up with the part of her story which said the curse would affect Briar Rose's whole family?
5. Besides the document with an unknown name on it, what is inside the carved box which had belonged to Gemma?
6. In Chapter 5, what frightens Becca's friend?
7. What do Sylvia and Shana make fun of Becca for in Chapter 2?
8. In Chapter 4, what do we learn about Gemma's past?
9. As she continues the story in Chapter 6, how long does Gemma say the cursed people in the story slept for?
10. After Gemma's funeral, what do Becca's parents reveal was found among Gemma's things?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of mystery in the novel "Briar Rose". What are some examples of mystery in the novel? Are all of the mysteries answered by the end of the novel? Who are some of the mysterious characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Becca throughout the novel. What struggles does Becca face? How does she overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Josef. Who is Josef and what is his role in the story? How did he know Gemma? Describe his experiences during WWII.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)