|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes to the nursing home in Chapter 2?
2. In Gemma's fairy tale story, what color is the baby's hair?
3. How does Gemma begin her story in Chapter 2?
4. What is the name of the newspaper where Becca works?
5. What did Roosevelt create in 1944 in Oswego?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about Gemma's version of Briar Rose's story from the traditional version?
2. In Chapter 4, what do we learn about Gemma's past?
3. What does Gemma tell her granddaughters about the baby born to the King and Queen in the story?
4. When she investigates her grandmother's newspaper clippings, what does Becca learn from Arnie at the Palladium Times in Oswego?
5. What does Sylvia press Gemma for a definition for in Chapter 9?
6. What does Becca do in Chapter 2, which he sisters urge her not to?
7. What does Becca admit to her father is the real reason she is going to work in Chapter 8?
8. In Chapter 6, why does Becca suppose Gemma was so caught up with the part of her story which said the curse would affect Briar Rose's whole family?
9. What name does Becca have for her car in Chapter 2? Why has she named her car?
10. In Chapter 5, what frightens Becca's friend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they, and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the main characters? What are their roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Becca throughout the novel. What struggles does Becca face? How does she overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Becca and Stan. What do they feel for one another? How does their relationship evolve as the novel progresses? How does Stan help Becca on her quest for answers?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)