|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what the family knows in Chapter 4, when did Gemma come to America?
2. Where is Becca's work located?
3. Which of the following name is found in the public records in Chapter 10?
4. What is the name on the paper documenting the arrival of a refugee into America?
5. What does Becca find odd about Gemma's memento box in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, who does Gemma say was not invited to the King's party?
2. In Chapter 4, what do we learn about Gemma's past?
3. Besides the document with an unknown name on it, what is inside the carved box which had belonged to Gemma?
4. In Chapter 7, what does Gemma tell Becca she will probably lose interest in after she starts school?
5. What do Sylvia and Shana make fun of Becca for in Chapter 2?
6. After Gemma's funeral, what do Becca's parents reveal was found among Gemma's things?
7. While going through Gemma's box of mementos in Chapter 6, what does Becca realize about them?
8. What does Sylvia press Gemma for a definition for in Chapter 9?
9. What does Becca do in Chapter 2, which he sisters urge her not to?
10. In Chapter 6, why does Becca suppose Gemma was so caught up with the part of her story which said the curse would affect Briar Rose's whole family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Yolen's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Yolen use foreshadowing? How do the examples of foreshadowing affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of the novel "Briar Rose", the young adult genre. What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Briar Rose" an example of this genre? What are some other novels of the same genre? What do these novels have in common with "Briar Rose"?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the imagery that Yolen uses in "Briar Rose". What are some examples of imagery in the novel? What themes or ideas do these examples represent?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)