|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had fallen to ruin prior to the war in Chelmo?
(a) The town council.
(b) A castle.
(c) The church.
(d) The Polish government.
2. How many people were exterminated at Majdanek?
3. According to Magda, what happened to a teacher who gave graphic details about the concentration camp?
(a) She was forced to recant her words.
(b) She was demoted.
(c) She was scolded in front of the entire school.
(d) She did not return as a teacher the following year.
4. According to Gemma, what is still clinging to the palace walls when the prince arrives there?
(c) A mist.
5. Who is Randolph Feist?
(a) An Oswego high school teacher.
(b) An old friend of Gemma's.
(c) A WWII veteran.
(d) A WWII historian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocked Marge about the refugee camp upon first sight?
2. What do Becca and Stan visit in Chapter 14?
3. What is Kulmhof?
4. What type of tree does the prince walk along in Chapter 21?
5. What does Josef realize upon looking at Gemma's photo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Gemma tell Becca the Briar Rose story in Chapter 15? Who else listens, and what does he object to?
2. What does Becca give Magda as a gift? What does Magda intend to do with the item?
3. What horrifies Harvey about Gemma's last known address, the town of Kulmhof?
4. Why does Becca point out that Gemma had no tattoos?
5. What does Becca question Gemma about her story in Chapter 13?
6. Who is Magda Bronski?
7. In Chapter 12, what does Becca note is missing from the ending of Gemma's version of the Briar Rose story?
8. How do the girls react to Gemma's explanation to how the cursed, dead people in her story can have future lives?
9. What part of the story does Gemma tell Becca in Chapter 11?
10. What do Becca's family members try to dissuade her from doing in Chapter 16?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)