|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on top of Gemma's box of mementos?
(a) A smiley face.
(b) Gemma's signature.
(c) A carved rose and briar.
(d) A carving of Jesus on the cross.
2. Who goes to the nursing home in Chapter 2?
(a) Sylvia and Becca.
(b) Eve and Becca.
(d) Shana, Sylvia and Becca.
3. What will happen when the curse comes in Gemma's story?
(a) There will be strong winds which will blow everyone away.
(b) The trees will swallow the people who have sinned.
(c) The animals will turn on the humans.
(d) There will be a great mist and everyone will die.
4. What does Becca think about Gemma's version of the Briar Rose story?
(a) It is her favorite version of the fairy tale.
(b) There is something odd about it.
(c) She has left out the dark aspects of the story.
(d) It is very fantastical.
5. How does Gemma describe the King's party in Chapter 3?
(a) As loud and messy.
(b) As classy and full of rich, snobby types.
(c) As horribly boring.
(d) As terrifically big.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a document found in the memento box, when did Gitl arrive in America?
2. What is the name on the paper documenting the arrival of a refugee into America?
3. What is the name of the newspaper where Becca works?
4. What has Eve always thought to be Gemma's real name?
5. What does Becca avoid upon arriving at work in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what does Gemma tell Becca she will probably lose interest in after she starts school?
2. In Chapter 4, what do we learn about Gemma's past?
3. What does Becca admit to her father is the real reason she is going to work in Chapter 8?
4. In Chapter 6, why does Becca suppose Gemma was so caught up with the part of her story which said the curse would affect Briar Rose's whole family?
5. What is different about Gemma's version of Briar Rose's story from the traditional version?
6. In Chapter 5, what frightens Becca's friend?
7. What are Shana and Sylvia begging their grandmother for at the beginning of the novel?
8. What do Sylvia and Shana make fun of Becca for in Chapter 2?
9. What do the Berlins debate about Gemma's real name in Chapter 4?
10. After Sylvia and Shana have left in Chapter 2, what does Gemma tell Becca, and make Becca promise to do?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)