|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Gemma, at what point will little Becca not want to hear her fairy tale story any longer?
(a) Once she turns ten years old.
(b) Once she stops believing in magic.
(c) Once she begins school.
(d) Once she becomes a teenager.
2. What does Becca eat with Stan in Chapter 9?
(a) Ice cream.
(d) French fries.
3. What is the name of the newspaper where Becca works?
(a) The NY Herald.
(b) The Voice.
(c) The Independent.
(d) The Advocate.
4. According to what the family knows in Chapter 4, when did Gemma come to America?
(a) Prior to the outbreak of WWII.
(b) As a child in the 1920's.
(c) In the early 1950's.
(d) During WWII.
5. In the traditional Briar Rose story, what does the prince do?
(a) He wakes everyone with his kiss with the princess.
(b) He turns into a frog.
(c) He saves the princess from her evil stepmother.
(d) He travels the country with a glass slipper.
6. For what word does Gemma refuse to tell her granddaughters the definition of in Chapter 9?
7. What are the initials found on the ring in Gemma's memento box?
8. What does Becca do in the middle of the night in Chapter 6?
(a) Visits her grandmother's grave.
(b) Writes in her diary.
(c) Writes a list of things she hopes to do before she dies.
(d) Organizes the contents of Gemma's memento box.
9. In Gemma's fairy tale story, what does the queen name the baby?
(a) Briar Rose.
10. What does the building where Becca works overlook?
(a) A parking lot.
(b) A waterfall.
(c) A forest.
(d) A highway.
11. How does Gemma describe the King's party in Chapter 3?
(a) As horribly boring.
(b) As loud and messy.
(c) As terrifically big.
(d) As classy and full of rich, snobby types.
12. Who is the youngest of Gemma's granddaughters?
13. What has Sylvia always thought was the origin of Gemma's use of the name Dawn?
(a) She believed it was a reference to the story Briar Rose.
(b) It sounded similar to Gemma's first word, so it became her nickname.
(c) Gemma always believed dawn to be the most beautiful time of day.
(d) She believed it was her great-grandmother's middle name.
14. During Gemma's wake, what is done to the mirrors in the house?
(a) They are stored away.
(b) They are smashed.
(c) They are painted black.
(d) They are covered.
15. Who does Gemma tell the fairy tale story to in Chapter 5?
(a) Becca and her friend.
(b) A radio program.
(c) Gemma's sister.
(d) Becca's class.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Becca's work located?
2. Which of the following name is found in the public records in Chapter 10?
3. What did Roosevelt create in 1944 in Oswego?
4. At what point in her story does Gemma shudder in Chapter 3?
5. What is being made into a museum as of Chapter 8?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)