|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian estimate the temperature to be after the snowstorm?
2. While giving thanks, what does Brian determine has been the key to his survival?
3. Approximately how long did it take to move the first part of the moose back to Brian's camp?
4. How does Brian spot the rabbits in the snow?
5. How many years had the family been trapping in the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brian do in Chapter 13 when he hears gunshots at night?
2. Why does Brian say in Chapter 14, "this is as bad as it gets"?
3. Describe the line that Brian sees and why he's so interested in it.
4. How do the snowshoes change things for Brian?
5. In Chapter 11, the author states, "and in a strange way it never really did stop raining." What is meant by this?
6. How did Brian make his footwear?
7. Describe Brian's conflicting thoughts over the dead moose.
8. How does Brian spend his time during the storms of Chapter 11?
9. How does Brian turn such a big moose over to remove the hide from the other side?
10. Brian begins the task of butchering the moose by skinning it. Explain how he does this.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the connection that Brian feels with the wolves. How does it change after he sees them hunt?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how this book might be different if the main character were female?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characterization of Brian. Be sure to address physical, mental, and emotional characteristics.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)