|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brian do with the evergreen boughs that he cuts?
(a) Makes a carpet.
(b) Makes wreathes for hanging.
(c) Burns it for the festive smell.
(d) Makes a bed.
2. About how far was Brian from the bull moose when the wolves killed it?
(a) 125 yards.
(b) 50 yards.
(c) 100 yards.
(d) 75 yards.
3. What does Brian hear as he falls asleep after his feast?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A plane.
(c) A gunshot.
4. In Chapter 8, what must Brian do in order to get water for his stew?
(a) Put a pot in the rain.
(b) Walk a mile to a hot springs he knows of.
(c) Melt snow.
(d) Chop through the ice in the lake.
5. How does Brian get the idea for snowshoes?
(a) He dreamed it.
(b) Watching rabbits on the snow.
(c) Watching a mouse on the snow.
(d) Remembering a TV special he once saw.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian make a sauce from for his feast?
2. Why does Brian have so much trouble shooting rabbits in Chapter 9?
3. What has skis in the book?
4. How long is the chunk blown out of the tree that Brian studies in Chapter 13?
5. What kind of wood does Brian use for his fire in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, the author states, "and in a strange way it never really did stop raining." What is meant by this?
2. How do the snowshoes change things for Brian?
3. Why does Brian feel as if he has committed murder against the deer, but not the moose?
4. What's the status of Brian's clothing at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. What does Brian do with all of his moose meat?
6. What does Brian discover at the end of the trail that he's following in Chapter 17?
7. How did Brian make his footwear?
8. How does Brian feel about the wolves attack on the moose?
9. Why doesn't Brian immediately go find the source of the popping sounds once he realizes that it's too warm for trees to explode any longer?
10. Describe what has make the gunshot noises in Chapter 13.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)